UNT TO AAC

denton_days

Like the AAC if this is true but I've long been on the MWC train. I think it's a better conference with more recognizable schools/teams that seem to always have consistent top 25 teams in football every year. I'm still hoping there's a chance at the MWC but if that doesn't happen then I'm still content. 

Now if we can just finally figure out a way to consistently get some wins on the football field....

• Upvote 5

Dennis Dodd at CBS Sports now confirming the news..... Thompson says the MWC won't expand and will stay at 12.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/american-to-review-expansion-candidates-with-six-conference-usa-teams-expected-to-apply-for-membership/

This rumor has real legs. I'm excited.

Edited by Side.Show.Joe
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I won’t lie, I’d rather go to the MWC with UTSA.   AAC has already taken their shot at attracting MWC teams and been told “no thanks.”   MWC seems more stable.  

I agree with you.

I'm hoping this news prompts the MWC to extend a quick, appealing deal to UNT and that we go that route.

If not, I'm still happy because a poached AAC (after the next round of Big 12 expansion) is better than a poached CUSA or CUSA/Sun Belt merge.

Edited by MeanGreenGlory
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I won’t lie, I’d rather go to the MWC with UTSA.   AAC has already taken their shot at attracting MWC teams and been told “no thanks.”   MWC seems more stable.  

Another reason why I've always liked the MWC b/c of their their stability. You pretty much know who's in there and I feel like I'm always able to watch several of those schools on TV every weekend. It might just be me but I don't think the same can be said about AAC games.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

Over on the AAC board it seems like fans of Memphis, Tulsa, and SMU are saying they are hoping their respective school are looking at the MWC.

Why would they pay the exit fees and not get an upgrade? Boise and Memphis are waiting for the Big12.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

Over on the AAC board it seems like fans of Memphis, Tulsa, and SMU are saying they are hoping their respective school are looking at the MWC.

Shouldn’t this provide some pause for y’all who’ve already popped the champagne?  The mere thought of us ‘C-USA move-ups’ makes the upper eschelon AAC schools hope to go MWC….  Shouldn’t we want the same thing the top AAC schools want?

We’re in for an exciting week Mean Green fans!  Buckle up!   … except Littrell, he can go ahead and exit the vehicle.

• Upvote 7

2 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Why would they pay the exit fees and not get an upgrade? Boise and Memphis are waiting for the Big12.

It doesn't make sense for them and I doubt the presidents of those schools would go for it. The reason I brought it up is to show that their fans see this news as the conference adding too many teams with poor on-field results and the MW is now a better conference in their eyes.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Be cautious. This feels like the "move up" from the belt to AAC happening all over again. We get an invite and everyone leaves and we're right back at square 1. 

There is no doubt in 2-3 years neither the MWC or AAC will look the same. With that said I would really enjoy playing Tulsa and Tulane every year.

• Upvote 4

26 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Shouldn’t this provide some pause for y’all who’ve already popped the champagne?  The mere thought of us ‘C-USA move-ups’ makes the upper eschelon AAC schools hope to go MWC….  Shouldn’t we want the same thing the top AAC schools want?

We’re in for an exciting week Mean Green fans!  Buckle up!   … except Littrell, he can go ahead and exit the vehicle.

This is true of any league. The remaining Big 12 schools aren’t enthused about UH or a potential grab of SMU. The MWC schools would look down on adding us just like many in our league look down on adding Sun Belt schools. It goes round and round.

And by the way, the #2 team in the nation right now is a G5 and they play in the American.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 6

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I think the chess game between the MWC and the AAC will start for any Texas teams they might be interested in. The AAC will still most likely lose Memphis and maybe USF. Does the AAC want 2 teams in the Metroplex? 

Where would Memphis and USF go? 

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think it's good to see it from their perspective. Let's say we get stuck in CUSA and we replace 2/4 teams with NMSU(to help out UTEP), Georgia State, UL, and Texas State leaving some better options like App, Coastal, Liberty, and JMU.  

Just now, Salsa_Verde said:

Where would Memphis and USF go? 

Memphis will be in the Big 12. I think they (B12) will also go after Boise. If Boise was to say no (not sure that would happen) then USF. If the Big 12 loses any more teams I think SMU would also make the move to the B12.

• Upvote 2