MWC EXPANSION NEWS

Cooke County Kid

As of tonight:

"Mountain West sources told CBS Sports on Monday night that the conference will not expand beyond the current 12 teams in football. MWC presidents see no value in adding teams. A contributing factor is that the MWC's rightsholders, Fox and CBS, would be unlikely to increase their contracts if the league expands, MWC sources said."

Source: https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/washington-state-coach-nick-rolovich-four-assistants-fired-for-cause-over-covid-19-vaccine-mandate/

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 3

Just now, MeanGreenGlory said:

As of tonight:

"Mountain West sources told CBS Sports on Monday night that the conference will not expand beyond the current 12 teams in football. MWC presidents see no value in adding teams. A contributing factor is that the MWC's rightsholders, Fox and CBS, would be unlikely to increase their contracts if the league expands, MWC sources said."

Source: https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/washington-state-coach-nick-rolovich-four-assistants-fired-for-cause-over-covid-19-vaccine-mandate/

Wow so maybe the Sun Belt?? Hahahahahahahahaha

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, MeanGreenGlory said:

As of tonight:

Dang, this is concerning, and I know if NT were in UTSA’s football situation right now, they couldn’t say we wouldn’t add value.  But, here we are, staring 1-11 in the face at the worst possible time!  😩

Hopefully President Smatresk tries to convince his buddies out there 1 more time before accepting this AAC invite.  I mean, heckuva consolation prize for us!

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Downvote 5

35 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

How many other G5 programs are consistently winning and in the Top 25?  

Winning helps.  If there is a second round of Big 12 expansion its going to be Boise, Memphis, SMU, and USF.  

If this happens and SMU stay they have a good chance to be the Boise of the AAC. Dykes has built a very good program. He seems pretty happy there. I think Tech might me the only place he might consider. Then you guys could hire Traylor. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

If this happens and SMU stay they have a good chance to be the Boise of the AAC. Dykes has built a very good program. He seems pretty happy there. I think Tech might me the only place he might consider. Then you guys could hire Traylor. 

Dykes isn't sticking around for this version of the AAC I'm afraid.  Not to mention I'm not sure how SMU is going to be able to justify paying a HC north of $3M a year when the TV revenue is about to go from $7M to around $1M.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

Dykes isn't sticking around for this version of the AAC I'm afraid.  Not to mention I'm not sure how SMU is going to be able to justify paying a HC north of $3M a year when the TV revenue is about to go from $7M to around $1M.

What's the vibe coming from the SMU fan side from all this news? Give it to us straight, no need to sugarcoat it. 

• Upvote 1

OK.  If this is to be believed then I'm certainly cool with it.  If the remaining 8 stay at $7m while the new schools are around $2M then lets go!

"Conference USA schools currently receive less than a million dollars annually in television revenue. The amount they will receive is still being finalized, but the television revenue will be more than $2 million at the start of the deal and rise significantly from there. Incumbent AAC members are still expected to average about $7 million annually over the course of the current ESPN television deal, which runs through 2031-32."

• Upvote 4

Just now, Green Otaku said:

What's the vibe coming from the SMU fan side from all this news? Give it to us straight, no need to sugarcoat it. 

Obviously a lot of frustration.  Losing programs like Cincinnati, UH, and UCF was a gut punch to the AAC.  There was no combination of schools that would've offset those schools leaving.

I think SMU still has the hope of future Big 12 instability leads to an invite after the 2025 season.  

If the TV money being floated out from the Yahoo! article is correct about the remaining 8 staying at $7M then it is absolutely the right decision to stay in the AAC as opposed to leaving for the MWC.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, SMU2006 said:

The idea that SMU brings "nothing" to the Big 12 is silly.  SMU has built a Top 40 football program under Dykes and is committed to facilities upgrades north of $150M over the next five years.  Top 60 academic institution with a lot of ties to Fortune 500 in one of the largest cities in the nation.  $2.3 billion endowment.  Presidential Library.  More alums of Big 12 schools live in DFW than any other metro area in the nation.   

I'm not saying SMU is a no-brainer.  We certainly have our warts as a small private school with less than 7,000 undergrads but to say we would add nothing is dumb.  

Tech, Baylor, TCU, and now Houston will NEVER let it happen, for various reasons. And no one in the Texas legislature is going to force you down the Big 12’s throat like they did with Houston.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

As of tonight:

That was just MWC comish and schools getting ahead of things doing good PR, trying to make it look as if they chose to stay pat, rather than it looking like they got beat by the AAC. The threat of MWC to the Texas market may very well be part of why UNT made the cut for the AAC.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 4

11 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I think they make Garrett Riley HC. Then we can hire Traylor!

• Upvote 1

Before the AAC news broke, sources told the Action Network that officials at North Texas, Rice, UTSA and UTEP had contacted the Mountain West about joining the conference. North Texas and Rice had the most serious discussions, but ultimately, the Mountain West decided to remain at 12 schools, sources said.

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/aac-to-add-six-schools-conference-usa-college-football-realignment-charlotte-fau-north-texas-rice-uab-utsa/amp?utm_source=article&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=brettmcmurphy&__twitter_impression=true

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

I'd be really interested to know how far those talks got. Did the MW really decide to stay at 12 or did AAC beat them to the punch? 

My guess is that the MWC wasn’t willing/able to match the conference payout numbers that were offered by the AAC. Even if we were interested in going west, that killed any movement forward. 

I joked about it in another thread, but I really do have to wonder if CSU/AFA decide to jump to the AAC at this point. Those two ADs have to be pissed. 

Edited by ColoradoEagle

10 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

I'd be really interested to know how far those talks got. Did the MW really decide to stay at 12 or did AAC beat them to the punch? 

Nothing is signed.   If the MWC wanted to, they could extend an offer to NT & UTSA today & I bet we'd tell the AAC, "thanks for the opportunity, but we've received a better offer".

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, ColoradoEagle said:

My guess is that the MWC wasn’t willing/able to match the conference payout numbers that were offered by the AAC. Even if we were interested in going west, that killed any movement forward. 

I joked about it in another thread, but I really do have to wonder if CSU/AFA decide to jump to the AAC at this point. Those two ADs have to be pissed. 

No room... unless they're re-entering negotiations and 2 schools out of this list would be removed  <gulp>.

10 minutes ago, ColoradoEagle said:

I also think it's possible that any additions would not increase the media payout and they weren't willing to split the pie by 2 more pieces. The AAC has the luxury of big buy out money to bolster their losses while the MWC doesn't. 

• Upvote 1