MWC EXPANSION NEWS

Cooke County Kid

5 minutes ago, Cooke County Kid said:

From my non-vantage point there is apparently so much happening behind the scenes that we grunts will not be privvy to.  

Some schools who are interested in a new conference may ask for privacy with all that is happening in the discussions.

3 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Sucks for us.  The minute we accept an AAC invite smu will head to the MWC.

If they end up doing that, then IMO there might be some actual substance to the SMU-hates-UNT argument.  I don't see any logically sound reason for SMU to go MWC.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, greenminer said:

If they end up doing that, then IMO there might be some actual substance to the SMU-hates-UNT argument.  I don't see any logically sound reason for SMU to go MWC.

I tend to agree on the logic but the reality is the TV revenue, even in a scenario where Boise gets the bulk, is going to be significantly greater than a 14 team AAC with that configuration.  At most that conference is going to get $1.5M per school.  Would SMU be willing to go MWC for $3M?  You also have the perennial G5 darling Boise along with rising contenders SDSU, AFA, etc.  Basketball would be better in the MWC as well.

I agree however that the exit fees likely make it a nonstarter.  Now if you're able to get Memphis and/or Tulsa as travel partners that dynamic changes.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

I tend to agree on the logic but the reality is the TV revenue, even in a scenario where Boise gets the bulk, is going to be significantly greater than a 14 team AAC with that configuration.  At most that conference is going to get $1.5M per school.  Would SMU be willing to go MWC for $3M?  You also have the perennial G5 darling Boise along with rising contenders SDSU, AFA, etc.  Basketball would be better in the MWC as well.

I agree however that the exit fees likely make it a nonstarter.  Now if you're able to get Memphis and/or Tulsa as travel partners that dynamic changes.

What would the exit fees be? Also, the Big 12 will end up taking Memphis and Boise so I guess it hits both conferences, but probably the MWC a little harder.

Another question for an SMU fan; what does it seem many SMU fans are OK with UTSA joining? They have poor facilities and a poor budget. When Traylor leaves who knows what happens with FB. Just curious.

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Billy Clyde said:

I wish we were going to the MWC. It’s an awesome conference.

I’m disappointed today. Once the MWC pilfers SMU and Memphis, the AAC will look ever worse than it does already.

Memphis will not be going to the MWC. They will be in the Big 12

The question is who else goes to the Big 12 - Boise and?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Memphis will not be going to the MWC. They will be in the Big 12

The question is who else goes to the Big 12 - Boise and?

The "rumored" next round of Big 12 expansion has Boise, SMU, Memphis, and USF.  I think as far as SMU is concerned that's the long play.  The Big 12 is going to splinter again before the 2025 season.  

The MWC just seems like a lateral move that could ultimately backfire.  If its SMU by themselves I say no way to the MWC.  If its Memphis and/or Tulsa, Tulane then yes.  Go west.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Billy Clyde said:

I wish we were going to the MWC. It’s an awesome conference.

I’m disappointed today. Once the MWC pilfers SMU and Memphis, the AAC will look ever worse than it does already.

I agree. We need to go MWC. It’s the better conference. With that said I doubt much of either conference gets raided by the Big 12 (why would the Big 12 keep splitting revenue with More teams that bring nothing to the table…like SMU). At the very least I’m this is better than getting stuck in the Old CUSA. But the AAC is just becoming the new new new CUSA. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

The idea that SMU brings "nothing" to the Big 12 is silly.  SMU has built a Top 40 football program under Dykes and is committed to facilities upgrades north of $150M over the next five years.  Top 60 academic institution with a lot of ties to Fortune 500 in one of the largest cities in the nation.  $2.3 billion endowment.  Presidential Library.  More alums of Big 12 schools live in DFW than any other metro area in the nation.   

I'm not saying SMU is a no-brainer.  We certainly have our warts as a small private school with less than 7,000 undergrads but to say we would add nothing is dumb.  

Guess I’m silly then. Very well. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

The idea that SMU brings "nothing" to the Big 12 is silly.  SMU has built a Top 40 football program under Dykes and is committed to facilities upgrades north of $150M over the next five years.  Top 60 academic institution with a lot of ties to Fortune 500 in one of the largest cities in the nation.  $2.3 billion endowment.  Presidential Library.  More alums of Big 12 schools live in DFW than any other metro area in the nation.   

I'm not saying SMU is a no-brainer.  We certainly have our warts as a small private school with less than 7,000 undergrads but to say we would add nothing is dumb.  

I can see the conversations now.  

Big XII member 1:  “We should invite SMU!  We have tons of DFW area alumni and they’d take over Ford Stadium every time we play there.”  

Big XII commissioner:  “Tell me why you couldn’t just schedule them and do that now?”  

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

The "rumored" next round of Big 12 expansion has Boise, SMU, Memphis, and USF.  I think as far as SMU is concerned that's the long play.  The Big 12 is going to splinter again before the 2025 season.  

The MWC just seems like a lateral move that could ultimately backfire.  If its SMU by themselves I say no way to the MWC.  If its Memphis and/or Tulsa, Tulane then yes.  Go west.

I will say that when we played in the Big West it was rough traveling out west for the team. Those were some long days and late late nights. I know fans don’t mind but it was a beating especially with the time change. However, for fans and families it’s tough to get to away games. It might not be a great move from that perspective. 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

You guys have the same problem we have that will ultimately keep us both from achieving anything of note. Neither our own alumni, nor the cities we play in, even remotely care we field football teams. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I can see the conversations now.  

Big XII member 1:  “We should invite SMU!  We have tons of DFW area alumni and they’d take over Ford Stadium every time we play there.”  

Big XII commissioner:  “Tell me why you couldn’t just schedule them and do that now?”  

How many other G5 programs are consistently winning and in the Top 25?  

Winning helps.  If there is a second round of Big 12 expansion its going to be Boise, Memphis, SMU, and USF.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

I don't agree that they bring nothing either but being a small private probably doesn't help their cause. That said they do have what a lot of schools can't say and that they do have the history and affiliation of the old SWC which I think could very well come in handy when you combine that with the amount of money they have and what they've been able to do on the athletics front the last few years in FB and MBB. But if they're going to mention their SWC days in their presentation then they better do it sooner than later because the longer time goes the farther and farther that history won't mean much of anything to anyone IMO.

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

1.5 MILLION?! Wow what does that look like, no Facebook games???