Biggest Issues

UNTLifer

13 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Just my take.

1.  Entirely mismanaged the QB situation this year.  You have Aune returning that had a pretty good 2020 season.  Not great but not terrible.  He has had all summer to work with his receivers building rapport and timing.  He has quietly bided his time, shared the position last year with Bean who up and left for KU, so his expectation is that the job is his.  Ruder shows up via the TP a couple of weeks prior to the beginning of the season and he "earns" the starting position.  Here's the issue.  All the work Aune put in is gone.  The WR's now have to build timing, etc. with Ruder.  The worst part is the results and what it has done to the QB's mentally.  Ruder was thrown into the fire when he wasn't ready, failed, forced the issue and continued to fail only to get benched.  Aune probably felt like the position was given away and all his hard work was wasted which can be tough mentally.  Ruder fails, Aune is pressed back in to the starting spot and is a mess.  This all falls at the feet of Littrell.  The mismanagement of the QB room has ruined two QB's confidence and thus the offense.  Plus, if I were Martin or Gilmore, I'm gone.  Next year we will be lucky to have Aune or Ruder with Drummond as the backup and I am not sold on him.

2. Entirely mismanaged Bloesch.  He should not be calling plays.  I understand wanting to hold onto him, but make him AHC/OL but not OC.  The play calling is stagnant and the OL has regressed.  Another sign of SL's mismanagement.

3.  Defense.  I don't think Reff was that bad, but he wasn't given much to work with as SL really focused on offense when he arrived.  Due to SL's lack of roster management and oversight of the entire program, he was left with no choice but to fire Reff, and then he put zero effort in finding an upgrade and we ended up with Bowen who has spent his career at that defensive juggernaut, KU.  In desperation, he lures Bennett out of retirement to fix this mess.

This all points to the inability to manage the program.  We need a Mack Brown type HC.  A great spokesman for the program, builds relationship, knows how to manage the entire program, hires strong coordinators and assistants to do the day to day coaching.  SL looks like a coach at a dead end who can't figure out how to turn it around.  His postgame quotes reinforce this when he basically says he doesn't know how to fix the problem.

This is spot-on, Lifer.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Just my take.

1.  Entirely mismanaged the QB situation this year.  You have Aune returning that had a pretty good 2020 season.  Not great but not terrible.  He has had all summer to work with his receivers building rapport and timing.  He has quietly bided his time, shared the position last year with Bean who up and left for KU, so his expectation is that the job is his.  Ruder shows up via the TP a couple of weeks prior to the beginning of the season and he "earns" the starting position.  Here's the issue.  All the work Aune put in is gone.  The WR's now have to build timing, etc. with Ruder.  The worst part is the results and what it has done to the QB's mentally.  Ruder was thrown into the fire when he wasn't ready, failed, forced the issue and continued to fail only to get benched.  Aune probably felt like the position was given away and all his hard work was wasted which can be tough mentally.  Ruder fails, Aune is pressed back in to the starting spot and is a mess.  This all falls at the feet of Littrell.  The mismanagement of the QB room has ruined two QB's confidence and thus the offense.  Plus, if I were Martin or Gilmore, I'm gone.  Next year we will be lucky to have Aune or Ruder with Drummond as the backup and I am not sold on him.

2. Entirely mismanaged Bloesch.  He should not be calling plays.  I understand wanting to hold onto him, but make him AHC/OL but not OC.  The play calling is stagnant and the OL has regressed.  Another sign of SL's mismanagement.

3.  Defense.  I don't think Reff was that bad, but he wasn't given much to work with as SL really focused on offense when he arrived.  Due to SL's lack of roster management and oversight of the entire program, he was left with no choice but to fire Reff, and then he put zero effort in finding an upgrade and we ended up with Bowen who has spent his career at that defensive juggernaut, KU.  In desperation, he lures Bennett out of retirement to fix this mess.

This all points to the inability to manage the program.  We need a Mack Brown type HC.  A great spokesman for the program, builds relationship, knows how to manage the entire program, hires strong coordinators and assistants to do the day to day coaching.  SL looks like a coach at a dead end who can't figure out how to turn it around.  His postgame quotes reinforce this when he basically says he doesn't know how to fix the problem.

1. Aune split time with Bean last season and could never stand head and shoulders above a quarterback that many say they are happy to be rid of.   He had the entire off-season, all of Spring ball without a true rival, and Fall camp to distinguish himself.  He failed to do so, and started a second consecutive season behind a different quarterback.   When he was given the reigns this season he has been pedestrian. Every opportunity to prove he could be the answer has been given, and the results are what they are.  The quarterback this team needs is apparently not on this roster, still.   That falls squarely on Littrell’s shoulders…Aune’s inability to perform is not.  

Other than that, spot on.  

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 6
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 4

22 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

2. Entirely mismanaged Bloesch.  He should not be calling plays.  

Word on the street is that SL has been calling plays this year and Bloesch never started calling plays.  I'm starting to believe it.  I think the biggest evidence of this is the fact that we are now halfway through the season, the offence has been completely anemic, SL is on one of the hottest seats in America that continues to get hotter, and we have yet to be told that he's going to take over the play calling again. 

I know if I was on a seat that hot and my $150,000 a month job was on the line, I'm watching an offence that struggles to get 100 yards passing per game until it's garbage time, and I'm supposed to be known as the offensive genius, then I'm taking over play calling pretty quick.  

just saying teresa giudice GIF

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, drex said:

Excellent analysis by all.  Kansas State debacle ruined Seth for the rest of his career.

That was his choice. 🤷🏽‍♂️  So he ruined his career. Head Coach is about coaching your assistants more than X’s &?O’s.  You have to have a vision for the kind of athletes you want on both sides of the ball and have them switch positions if that is what best for the team and the player.  He bought his own hype and leveraged it the wrong way.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

1. Aune split time with Bean last season and could never stand head and shoulders above a quarterback that many say they are happy to be rid of.   He had the entire off-season, all of Spring ball without a true rival, and Fall camp to distinguish himself.  He failed to do so, and started a second consecutive season behind a different quarterback.   When he was given the reigns this season he has been pedestrian. Every opportunity to prove he could be the answer has been given, and the results are what they are.  The quarterback this team needs is apparently not on this roster, still.   That falls squarely on Littrell’s shoulders…Aune’s inability to perform is not.  

I don't understand the utter contempt you have for Aune.  No one, not a single soul, is saying he's the second coming of Mason Fine or anything remotely close.  I mean, Lifer said: "You have Aune returning that had a pretty good 2020 season.  Not great but not terrible."  It's not exactly a ringing endorsement, yet you feel the need to stop down & trash him again.  I get you were a Bean guy last year (I was too), but I don't think Aune is the garbage QB you constantly make him out to be.    It's just weird, IMO.

You know what would help Aune, Bean, Ruder, heck anyone, develop?   An actual QB coach.   Let's not take our eyes off the actual problem to attack the symptoms.

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Just my take.

Spot on. I noticed a couple of signs that Littrell has given up and lost his fire. First, I remember when he was not afraid of benching a senior QB for a freshman which turned out to be a pretty good move for the program. Now, this flip flopping between Aune and Ruder has everyone out of sync when we have nothing to lose trying to play someone like Martin or even Drummond as it has become apparent that neither Aune or Ruder are the answer.

Second, he was not afraid of taking Reeder off of play calling not even a couple of games into the season when it was clear the offense had not only stagnated, but significantly regressed. Now, we have a historically bad offense with Littrell coaching for his job and he has not taken over the play-calling duties for someone touted as an "offensive guru" (if rumors are false that Littrell has in fact been calling plays all season). Either way, it is a really bad look. 

His press conferences are the same coach-speak over and over again. "Need to get better in all 3 phases" " Need to correct those mistakes in the upcoming practices," etc. I'm honestly amazed at how lazy and careless he looks with the salary and resources he has at his disposal. 

I'm honestly questioning whether he has another job lined up already because I don't know if I've ever seen a coach have such a lack of fire or be aware that this is truly a bad look for someone that will be looking for some kind of offensive job soon. 

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

100% agree. Aune is not going to change what he is - a spot backup. I am not sure in their evaluation what they saw in Ruder, other than they knew they did not want to start Aune. Did they rush Jace and maybe he was not ready for the system? I find it hard to believe he could be competitive in NC's system and look so out of wack here. Could it be like last year when we ran the 3-3-5 that did not seems to be a fit for the players we have? Do we have a roster full of QB's who are not suited to run Seth offense and our coaches have an unwillingness, or inability to modify o fit their skills? I put this squarely on the HC, OC, and QB coaches

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Spot on. I noticed a couple of signs that Littrell has given up and lost his fire. First, I remember when he was not afraid of benching a senior QB for a freshman which turned out to be a pretty good move for the program. Now, this flip flopping between Aune and Ruder has everyone out of sync when we have nothing to lose trying to play someone like Martin or even Drummond as it has become apparent that neither Aune or Ruder are the answer.

Second, he was not afraid of taking Reeder off of play calling not even a couple of games into the season when it was clear the offense had not only stagnated, but significantly regressed. Now, we have a historically bad offense with Littrell coaching for his job and he has not taken over the play-calling duties for someone touted as an "offensive guru" (if rumors are false that Littrell has in fact been calling plays all season). Either way, it is a really bad look. 

His press conferences are the same coach-speak over and over again. "Need to get better in all 3 phases" " Need to correct those mistakes in the upcoming practices," etc. I'm honestly amazed at how lazy and careless he looks with the salary and resources he has at his disposal. 

I'm honestly questioning whether he has another job lined up already because I don't know if I've ever seen a coach have such a lack of fire or be aware that this is truly a bad look for someone that will be looking for some kind of offensive job soon. 

Don't forget the "...we need to look in the mirror..." & "...it starts with me..."   

You know what?   I'm starting to think Seth doesn't have a mirror! 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Aune’s inability to perform is also a coaching error. I mean we brought in a guy with absolutely 0 D1 or any college coaching experience, and the QBs look even worse than last year. Even without a QB coach last year, technically, Aune looked more confident and more of a leader than this year. Yes Darden is a big loss in Aune’s yards, but he still was more consistent through the air than Bean. Bean was just not a good QB for what Littrell had in place, and you could say the failure of Bean is on Littrell.

My point is, get coaches in here than can teach the fundamentals because they seem to be lacking.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, drex said:

Excellent analysis by all.  Kansas State debacle ruined Seth for the rest of his career.

We’re still on this?

Kansas State was never a thing, just a stunt to get the extension, which he got. The loss of Graham Harrell, and really his beginning coaching staff is what showed that he isn’t the greatest of coaches. Bad hires as well.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Just my take.

All true. Thanks for sharing your insight.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

The loss of Graham Harrell, and really his beginning coaching staff is what showed that he isn’t the greatest of coaches. Bad hires as well.

You seem to have a good handle on things.  Do you think there is a chance that Graham would consider coming back as a head coach here?

• Upvote 1

We need a Mack Brown type HC.  A great spokesman for the program, builds relationship, knows how to manage the entire program, hires strong coordinators and assistants to do the day to day coaching. 

Agree 100%.  Great post.

Just now, greengal said:

You seem to have a good handle on things.  Do you think there is a chance that Graham would consider coming back as a head coach here?

I don’t know because that would be a hefty contract to take on, but I think many want a more proven guy with head coaching experience. I think it’s more of a risk than reward because he’s still super young, unless we want to completely implode and start over with a guy like Harrell.

• Upvote 1

Just my take.

Which illustrates why we need a young, experienced, successful HC to lead us.

11 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I would rather have Lebby than most others, but that’s unrealistic like most of the people we are throwing around on here.

I dunno...  Unless he gets an offer from a P5 school, which he certainly could, I think NT would be a perfect G5 for him to start his HC career.   
There would be literally ZERO immediate expectations on him here because we'll be coming off a 1-11 season.  Remember how low our bars were for Littrell when he took over?   And how we were all ecstatic when he somehow won 5?   He'd inherit the top C-USA recruiting classes of 2018 & '19, and they'd be hungry to prove themselves after such a disastrous past 3 seasons.   If I'm Lebby, and I don't get the P5 calls I'm expecting, I'm listening to North Texas.

• Upvote 3