Any interest in Skip Holtz?

Jonnyeagle

7 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

I’ve wondered about that with Skip Holtz for years.  I think I know why DD didn’t get P5 offers even after 4 UNT New Orleans Bowl appearances in a row & with the  North Texas Mean Green beating future Big 12 member the Cincinnati Bearcats in one of them.  
La Tech Bulldog fans are constantly wanting to run Holtz off from Ruston & if they are ever successful in doing that I will send him a map on how to get to Denton. 

🦅

Interesting that you would say that. I was trolling a few Bulldog fan forums recently and was surprised ant the number of posts wanting him to be fired.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, wardly said:

Interesting that you would say that. I was trolling a few Bulldog fan forums recently and was surprised ant the number of posts wanting him to be fired.

When you look around the college landscape it's amazing to see how many fans at schools that do relatively well year to year want their head coach replaced. Think back to schools like A&M who ran off RC Slocum and Texas who ran off Mack Brown. 

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Arkstfan said:

Y’all talking about the Skip Holtz who won at UConn and ECU and then when to the big city of Tampa with a nice Big East budget sitting in the middle of one of the best recruiting areas in America and got fired after three years because each was worse than the one before? 

Not sure bigger community and bigger budget quite fits him.

There will be head coaches available from the P5 (fired) that had great success at the G5 level. If UNT was attractive before it will really be attractive now with the AAC. 

• Thanks 3

Holtz would likely be solid, but if a coaching change occurs, I hope we look at up and coming coordinators like G Harrell or K Briles, youngish coaches like C Morris or T Herman (Herman available, but not sure how realistic), or old dog with skins on the wall like A Briles.  I think any of those would bring a lot of discussion and excitement and all bring Texas ties. I hope we make a splash and shake things up.

I am making the assumption that we aren't likely to be in a position to pay a large buyout for the incoming coach with the cost of buying out Littrell, and hopefully the cost of a pending conference change so I tried to list options that should not require a buyout or a very low buyout.

• RV 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

It all comes down to money. NT throws 1.8mil at Spanky every year since the extension, with Skip Holtz only making a measly 800k. Doubling his salary would get him here.

Money talks and Bull Doo Doo walks. 

You put him at 1.5 and make it incentive laden like Michigan's contract with JH. Use the other money to make sure he can have very good assistants 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

Holtz would likely be solid, but if a coaching change occurs, I hope we look at up and coming coordinators like G Harrell or K Briles, youngish coaches like C Morris or T Herman (Herman available, but not sure how realistic), or old dog with skins on the wall like A Briles.  I think any of those would bring a lot of discussion and excitement and all bring Texas ties. I hope we make a splash and shake things up.

I am making the assumption that we aren't likely to be in a position to pay a large buyout for the incoming coach with the cost of buying out Littrell, and hopefully the cost of a pending conference change so I tried to list options that should not require a buyout or a very low buyout.

Harrell is a probable name on the list of people that Wren would take to. Kendal Briles is possible.

The other name you listed are no-goes because Chad Morris is coaching high school ball and proved to be a bad head coach, Tom Herman is a weirdo that doesn't connect to people at all, and Art Briles will never get a sniff here because of the rape allowing at Baylor.

• Oh Boy! 1

13 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

If You Say So Reaction GIF by Identity

Skip watching the movement wishing he was part of it:
frustrating-frustrated.gif

Now would be the time to go after him if we wanted him.   He certainly meets the successful HC criteria if that's a Wren prerequisite as some suggest.   I'm still kinda leaning more toward KBriles, Lebby, or Yurcich.

Although, I also read an article on Dennis Simmons at OU and how Lincoln loves him (has been with him every step of his journey from Tech, to ECU, to OU, & expects him to be poached away soon.  He's very close with David Yost (OC at Tech), who is about to be out of a job.  Wonder if we brought Simmons on as a HC if he could grab Yost as OC?   If so, man this thing would really take off quick.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Skip watching the movement wishing he was part of it:
frustrating-frustrated.gif

Now would be the time to go after him if we wanted him.   He certainly meets the successful HC criteria if that's a Wren prerequisite as some suggest.   I'm still kinda leaning more toward KBriles, Lebby, or Yurcich.

Although, I also read an article on Dennis Simmons at OU and how Lincoln loves him (has been with him every step of his journey from Tech, to ECU, to OU, & expects him to be poached away soon.  He's very close with David Yost (OC at Tech), who is about to be out of a job.  Wonder if we brought Simmons on as a HC if he could grab Yost as OC?   If so, man this thing would really take off quick.

Simmons resume looks very similar to Seths. I would hope Wren sticks to his requirement he had for basketball, must have head coaching experience. The money we can pay and a new improved conf, we should have a lot of interest. The new coach won't have to sell recruits on just a turn around, but on the advantages of a new conference. I expect recognizable names to be in the loop. GMG

1 minute ago, Wag Tag said:

Simmons resume looks very similar to Seths. I would hope Wren sticks to his requirement he had for basketball, must have head coaching experience. The money we can pay and a new improved conf, we should have a lot of interest. The new coach won't have to sell recruits on just a turn around, but on the advantages of a new conference. I expect recognizable names to be in the loop. GMG

Again, just because Littrell turned out to be a failure here doesn't mean every single other assistant coach is also going to be one.    You're cutting out a lot of VERY GOOD COACHES if you do that.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Again, just because Littrell turned out to be a failure here doesn't mean every single other assistant coach is also going to be one.    You're cutting out a lot of VERY GOOD COACHES if you do that.

There are some very good coaches that have been successful Head Coaches that will be interested in the job. I don't think we need to be the training for a possible up and comer anymore. 

3 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Proud Of You Reaction GIF

If skip holtz is not successful enough for your taste. Who is on your coaching wish list?

Pretty sure he’s got his eye on either Saban, Swinney, Meyer, or the Ghost of Tom Landry.   Any of which would be solid hires if you ask me.   Should only take any of them maybe 2-3 recruiting cycles to get their guys in here & get us to a bowl game!

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Pretty sure he’s got his eye on either Saban, Swinney, Meyer, or the Ghost of Tom Landry.   Any of which would be solid hires if you ask me.   Should only take any of them maybe 2-3 recruiting cycles to get their guys in here & get us to a bowl game!

I promise I wasnt being a smart a$$. I was genuinely asking @NorthTexasSportsNetwork

1 minute ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I promise I wasnt being a smart a$$. I was genuinely asking @NorthTexasSportsNetwork

I know.   I was being the smarta**.  I guess those 6 straight bowl wins weren’t “big games”?

Im on record for going back to the hotshot offensive coordinator well again.  I know it burned us last time, but we can’t let it keep us from considering some really brilliant coaches!

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I was thinking more of Andy Reid or Bruce Arians, but glad you understand my range of coaches 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I'm just having fun with this thread.  My gut tells me The Wren has something up his sleeve, something better, and Holtz won't be seriously considered.

Exactly. There are better options out there, that’s my whole point.