Any interest in Skip Holtz?

Jonnyeagle

9 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Skip isn’t leaving La Tech, and if he did, I highly doubt it’s here.

Next.

I see people throwing this around with such utter confidence, and yet not a shred of evidence to back it up.  Give me one good reason why Skip Holtz, who isn’t exactly lining up P5 offers right now, we’re not go to a place with better facilities, better pay, better resources, and a better recruiting ground.  

Many people are pissed off at Seth Littrell right now and wanna take a big crap on this program, and I get it, it’s hard to be a North Texas fan right now.  But let’s please stop exercising outside of reality and understand that the rest of the world might still live in it.

”I’m deadset on doubling down on doom and gloom so I can feel vindicated when I’m ‘right’” isn’t a cogent argument, it’s bluster.  

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I see people throwing this around with such utter confidence, and yet not a shred of evidence to back it up.  Give me one good reason why Skip Holtz, who isn’t exactly lining up P5 offers right now, we’re not go to a place with better facilities, better pay, better resources, and a better recruiting ground.  

All fair points...but if you were in Skip Holtz's shoes, would you leave what he has at LaTech to go to NT?  We can all list the reasons why we're a sleeping giant, but it has yet to happen in my years of following.  For every reason we could list why NT is a better place to be head football coach, you could list one or more why LaTech is better.  One of the more obvious being that LaTech head coaches get hired away by P5s, North Texas head coaches don't.

• Upvote 5

5 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

All fair points...but if you were in Skip Holtz's shoes, would you leave what he has at LaTech to go to NT?  We can all list the reasons why we're a sleeping giant, but it has yet to happen in my years of following.  For every reason we could list why NT is a better place to be head football coach, you could list one or more why LaTech is better.  One of the more obvious being that LaTech head coaches get hired away by P5s, North Texas head coaches don't.

Have you ever met a head coach that said to himself “I can do that here, but I could never replicate this at a place with better resources?”  If you ever find me that head coach, not only do I not want him to interview for the North Texas job, I’m fairly sure he’s not successful anywhere.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, emmitt01 said:

Have you ever met a head coach that said to himself “I can do that here, but I could never replicate this at a place with better resources?”  If you ever find me that head coach, not only do I not want him to interview for the North Texas job, I’m fairly sure he’s not successful anywhere.

"Better resources" involves more than money and facilities, IMO.  Kansas and South Carolina have money and facilities, but they don't get their pick of up-and-coming coaches.  There is a machinery of winning that gets built up.  Right now, that's a resource that LaTech has and we don't.

I imagine most coaches would view a move from LaTech to North Texas as lateral at best, regardless of salary.  If I'm Skip, I'm waiting for a clear move up.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If NT moves to AAC or MWC, absolutely.
If NT remains in C-USA, not only have our nightmares been realized, but outside of money, there is no reason for Skip to move to a worse football program.   I gotta think Skip has had other schools give him a call... maybe it's not about money for him as long as he feels he's making enough for him to be happy where he's at?  Of course, I'm interested, but the question is... is he?

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

7 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

Skips new contract pays a base salary of $800,000. per year.  

He can make double his salary. Fans at LA Tech are not happy after a 5-5 2020, he starts 2021 2-5. Same reasons we are not happy with Seth, they are USED to winning and he hasnt done that since at least 2019 and not a bowl win since 2018. He may just want a new change of scenery and his last two years dont have P5 jobs lining up for him right now. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I imagine most coaches would view a move from LaTech to North Texas as lateral at best, regardless of salary.  If I'm Skip, I'm waiting for a clear move up.

To be clear, I'm not saying it's impossible.  When we hired away Grant McCasland, that was arguably a lateral move; or even a move down, in terms of how North Texas basketball was doing vs. how Arkansas State basketball was doing.

But that was indeed a coup, and hiring away Skip Holtz would require a similar coup.  If anyone can do it, Wren can do it.

10 minutes ago, greeneagle1 said:

He can make double his salary. Fans at LA Tech are not happy after a 5-5 2020, he starts 2021 2-5. Same reasons we are not happy with Seth, they are USED to winning and he hasnt done that since at least 2019 and not a bowl win since 2018. He may just want a new change of scenery and his last two years dont have P5 jobs lining up for him right now. 

They won the Independence Bowl in 2019.  Beat Miami, FL 14-0.

58 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

One of the more obvious being that LaTech head coaches get hired away by P5s, North Texas head coaches don't.

Yet another reason why we should have  let Seth go to KSU in 2018.  Yet some persistent in their support of that move or acting we were lucky to have him and the prospect of him leaving was disaster.  The reason he didn’t go is because after already being near the top in CUSA head coach salary he got a raise with NO HARDWARE to justify it.  So the only lesson in that is maybe the next coach should take the P5 job.  But there are a few P5 jobs that aren’t good as the one here except for the paycheck.

Kansas

Vanderbilt 

Illinois 

Indiana

Oregon State

South Carolina 

Virtually impossible to win your division let alone Conference.   But all of them except maybe Vanderbilt expect the coach to get them to 0.500 in the conference sometimes and go to a bowl.  Meanwhile it is impossible for you to get a top 3 rated class in your conference unless you arrive having already won a National Championship or playing at least 2 national Championship games.   If Skip Holtz wants to improve his financial situation and move up one day UNT is definitely up for consideration.  Larry Coker a championship ring bearer took on the challenge of building UTSA from scratch without a stadium on campus.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

To be clear, I'm not saying it's impossible.  When we hired away Grant McCasland, that was arguably a lateral move; or even a move down, in terms of how North Texas basketball was doing vs. how Arkansas State basketball was doing.

But that was indeed a coup, and hiring away Skip Holtz would require a similar coup.  If anyone can do it, Wren can do it.

Well, I'm pretty sure that, more than most coaches at his level in the U.S., he has a pretty good handle on North Texas and what the school needs in order to start consistently winning.  If he is reluctant to consider being interviewed by Baker for the job (if that even happens) then IMHO that speaks volumes about our program and how it's viewed by the world outside our green bubble. 

• Upvote 2

On 10/18/2021 at 12:28 PM, greeneagle1 said:

I’ve wondered about that with Skip Holtz for years.  I think I know why DD didn’t get P5 offers even after 4 UNT New Orleans Bowl appearances in a row & with the  North Texas Mean Green beating future Big 12 member the Cincinnati Bearcats in one of them.  
La Tech Bulldog fans are constantly wanting to run Holtz off from Ruston & if they are ever successful in doing that I will send him a map on how to get to Denton. 

🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Eye Roll 1