Graham Harrell

WanderingEagle

5-2.  Blowout losses to UT and TCU.  Wins against Houston, SFA (6 pts.), FIU, WVU and KU.  The WVU was their only good win on the road and WVU is struggling this year.  They are about to play K-State, OU, Iowa State, Okie State and Baylor.  They may not win another game this year.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, C Rod said:

You're putting words in my mouth and you look like a 🤡 with all of your exclamation marks. 

GH proved he could run our offense well and I have faith he would turn the program around.

Cobbs is a motivator, great RB coach and has been a bright spot in this dumpster fire.  

Zach is a an up and coming NFL defensive coach who studied under one of the NFL's best defenses and has now coached under Harbaugh and Meyer. The talent is there and it's obvious, to some of us. 

At our level, developing talent shouldn’t only happen with players. 

giphy.gif
That's kinda the jist of the exclamation marks.    All I'm doing is adding onto your proposition with qualified guys that are tied to our program!

As for Harrell running the offense, you must have forgotten the number of times NT was run down from behind while he was here because he couldn't quite counter-adjust to opposing defenses' adjustments against him.  It wasn't uncommon to see something like 30-17 at halftime, then end a game barely hanging on to a 44-41 win.
Love Cobbs.  You're right.  He's doing a great job as RBs coach.
You know what?  I don't even think I'd be mad if the new coach (not Harrell) decided to hire Orr as DC, but I'd hold my breath because of the legend he is here... I dunno if I'd want that legacy tarnished if he happened to underperform.  May want to go with a guy with college defensive experience.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

He’d be a good choice, but wouldn’t GH be a “3 & out” kind of coach like SL would have been had he accepted the Kansas State job—you know, 3 years & bye, bye Denton?

Wouldn’t an older P5-experienced HFC who would put all the moving around & upward mobility job thing in his past probably hang around longer in Denton to build a program?  

Just in from WBAP 820AM—
Thelma Lou (Betty Lynn) of Andy Griffith Show fame passed away over the weekend at the age of 95.  She played Barney Fife’s girlfriend, of course.

A 3 and Out coach would mean he'd have gotten us to new heights as a coach. Look at UCF, Boise State, Cincinnati, Baylor, etc. All have maintained, if not improved upon, the success that their young hot coaching candidates brought them. It's much better to hire a new coach after losing the one that gets you wins than it is to hire one after whatever cluster F this season ends up being

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Who will TX Tech go after?  There is no way Wells survives after this season.  The reason I ask is that I could see them going after Traylor.  Tech has a lot of cash to spend.

1-Dykes
2 - Traylor

If Dykes goes looks for Traylor to SMU - Then Keeler to UTSA 

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

1-Dykes
2 - Traylor

Is Traylor preppie enough? I could see SMU promoting Garrett Riley to head coach. Has been a good OC, has worked with very good Qb’s and would maintain continuity. I could also see Dykes hiring Seth as OC at Tech. They are very close friends.

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

1-Dykes
2 - Traylor

I would go after Traylor.  He is reportedly making about $800K.  I would offer him around $1.2 or $1.3 with incentives.  I would also go after Keeler.  He would be less expensive, currently makes about $350K and has had great success everywhere he has been.  We could bump him to around $800k and load in incentives.  We would potentially be a stopping point for Traylor, but we could provide Keeler with a chance to end his career as a FCS/D1 head coach as he is in his early 60's.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Is Traylor preppie enough? I could see SMU promoting Garrett Riley to head coach. Has been a good OC, has worked with very good Qb’s and would maintain continuity. I could also see Dykes hiring Seth as OC at Tech. They are very close friends.

If it keeps the OU transfer pipeline going you could be right

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

then end a game barely hanging on to a 44-41 win.

After the past 3 seasons, I'll take a 44-41 win every week.

5 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

May want to go with a guy with college defensive experience.

Coach Clark Lea at Vanderbilt and Jim Harbaugh at Michigan hired new DCs (Jesse Minter, 38 & Mike Mcdonald, 34) from the Baltimore Ravens back in January. We should do the same and give Zach his shot. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, WanderingEagle said:

Just a reminder that Graham Harrell is ripe for the taking from USC and was the main catalyst behind the driving players of our success from 2016-18

Just reminding yall we can afford him and he can get us back to relevance

I am a big GH fan but what in his background make us feel he would be a good HC?

• Upvote 1

On 10/28/2021 at 10:45 PM, WanderingEagle said:

Just a reminder that Graham Harrell is ripe for the taking from USC and was the main catalyst behind the driving players of our success from 2016-18

Just reminding yall we can afford him and he can get us back to relevance

I like Harrell a lot but our “success” from ‘’16-‘18 didn't really carry over against good teams. Our best team got curb stomped by FAU, twice.

Edited by Cr1028
Thanks Adler
  • Upvote 3
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I like Harrell alot but our “success” from ‘’16-‘18 didnt really carry over against good teams. Our best team got curb stomped by FAU, twice.

FAU curb stomped everybody under Kiffin.

If you're going to be concerned about Harrell, be concerned about whether his success here was due to Fine.

• Upvote 2

Little late on this but I recall thinking that Harrell was a little bit immature in the way he dealt with players.  If I remember correctly at some point when he was at UNT, he moved from the sideline to the booth.  I do have one vivid image of him going off behind SL during a game and just reading his lips thinking, is this guy for real?  I mean you watch a lot of football, you pickup on body language, you can make out what guys are saying and all that and to be left with impression that someone is immature, doesn't happen often.  If that was a concern, I don't know that enough time has passed for him to show that he's improved in that area..... HC's are one wrong word or mistimed statement away from losing a locker room, granted this is more a reflection on the atrophied mentality of the generation, but right, wrong, or indifferent, every coach has to handle it and it shouldn't be overlooked in Harrell's case.  

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

I met Graham Harrell at one of the coaching caravans. I had a few too many to drink that night, but we were talking about the throw he made against Texas. I made a comment how that cornerback that Crabtree shook off was someone I played against in high school. I made the comment "Yeah that jackass Jeff Traylor was his coach." He laughed but obviously didnt comment. Oh how the tables have turned. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Is it available to the general public, or unavailable like nearly everything else the staff wears?

Ironically, I didn't know this was thing, BUT...... A classmate in grad school did his thesis project on what factors drive merchandise sales at UNT Basketball Games (I think Hank was an advisor on this project) and we helped each other out with our projects so several of us helped him and asked people to fill out surveys at basketball games (some of you probably filled this out) and overwhelmingly the number factor was the head coach..... For football, what the head coach wears is free advertising, the NFL figured this out a long time ago, I get the impression all these points have been made before so..... That report/study would still be there in the KHPR office! (That's like a double face palm moment)

• Upvote 2