Graham Harrell

WanderingEagle

He’d be a good choice, but wouldn’t GH be a “3 & out” kind of coach like SL would have been had he accepted the Kansas State job—you know, 3 years & bye, bye Denton?

Wouldn’t an older P5-experienced HFC who would put all the moving around & upward mobility job thing in his past probably hang around longer in Denton to build a program?  

Just in from WBAP 820AM—
Thelma Lou (Betty Lynn) of Andy Griffith Show fame passed away over the weekend at the age of 95.  She played Barney Fife’s girlfriend, of course.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 2
  • Oh Boy! 1

9 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

He’d be a good choice, but wouldn’t GH be a “3 & out” kind of coach like SL would have been had he accepted the Kansas State job—you know, 3 years & bye, bye Denton?

Wouldn’t an older P5-experienced HFC who would put all the moving around & upward mobility job thing in his past probably hang around longer in Denton to build a program?  

Just in from WBAP 820AM—
Thelma Lou (Betty Lynn) of Andy Griffith Show fame passed away over the weekend at the age of 95.  She played Barney Fife’s girlfriend, of course.

I can life with a 3 and out coach, provided he leaves the program clearly better than he found it.

If you can string two of those together, it really raises the profile of the school. See Houston and Sumlin/Herman, which it turns out have their flaws, but their tenure at Houston really helped that program and was likely part of their making the cut to the the Big12.

That said I get the argument of those who really want someone who has been a college HC, even if it is only at FCS level.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 4

If we are stuck with Littrell for another season then definitely move whatever mountain needed to get him back here as OC/QB coach. 

If we are free of Littrell after the season, I wouldn’t hate bringing GH in as head coach but I’d like to see what other options we have.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

If we are stuck with Littrell for another season then definitely move whatever mountain needed to get him back here as OC/QB coach. 

If we are free of Littrell after the season, I wouldn’t hate bringing GH in as head coach but I’d like to see what other options we have.

There is no way Littrell is back after this season. I know this is North Texas, but there just isn’t. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

Why would GH come back and be an OC at UNT when he is already at USC? Thats worse then a lateral move.. If he was offered the Head job that makes more sense..imo 

• Upvote 4

I like your thinking. If I were Wren, I’d go with energy, excitement, and youth with our next coaching staff.

Bring back Graham Harrell as HC & Playcaller 

Promote Patrick Cobbs to OC along with his RB coach duties. Allows him to learn under Harrell so that when GH leaves in 3+years, Cobbs is next in line for an interview.

Bring Zach Orr home and hire him as the next DC. His time playing and coaching D for the Baltimore Ravens would be an asset to this team. Knowing what he knows, I would love to see what he could do with our defense.

• Upvote 6
  • RV 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, C Rod said:

I like your thinking. If I were Wren, I’d go with energy, excitement, and youth with our next coaching staff.

Promote Patrick Cobbs to OC along with his RB coach duties. Allows him to learn under Harrell so that when GH leaves in 3+years, Cobbs is next in line for an interview.

Bring Zach Orr home and hire him as the next DC. His time playing and coaching D for the Baltimore Ravens would be an asset to this team. Knowing what he knows, I would love to see what he could do with our defense.

If we did that, I don’t even want to see the meltdown on this board when we go 2-10 the first year

• Upvote 5

7 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

If we did that, I don’t even want to see the meltdown on this board when we go 2-10 the first year

WHEN we go 2-10? Are you watching this season? Our only win is vs a FCS team. We're halfway there, bud.  The board is going to bitch and moan no matter what happens.

• Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2

Just now, C Rod said:

WHEN we go 2-10? Are you watching this season? Our only win is vs a FCS team. We're halfway there, bud.  The board is going to bitch and moan no matter what happens.

No no no.

I’m talking about if we hire all of those young and kind of unproven coaches. It would be difficult to have immediate success.

This season is basically a wash

20 minutes ago, C Rod said:

You-Serious.gif

• Upvote 5

Harrell might be a great hire. Get him in the office and talk to him.  Two counterpoints:

1) Plenty of coaches out there function best as a coordinator/assistant.  Harrell doesn't have any HC experience and would be a risk.

2) WB made it publicly known for the Grant hire that he wanted someone with previous HC experience.  He may or may not want that here, too.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

1 minute ago, C Rod said:

brother anyone GIF

You obviously have a grasp of former (and current!) Mean Green coaches.   It also appears you know of former Mean Green players who are in the coaching realm.   That is fantastic, and I hope they all do well!

However, why would you willingly limit your coaching search to former Mean Green coaches/players?   Like, are these guys the only ones qualified to coach here in your opinion?

How 'bout these other guys?
Darrell Dickey!  -  OL!
Freddie Kitchens!  -  TEs!
Jeff Rodgers!   -  ST's!
Mean Joe Greene!!!!!   - DL!
Gio Vizza!  -  Outside WRs!
Riley Dodge!  -  Inside WRs!
Ryan Walters!  -  CBs!
Marcus Trice!  -  Ss!

I mean, we could really put together a who's-who of Mean Green alumni!!!
We wouldn't win crap, but hey!  We'd really love our coaches!!!1!1!!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

You obviously have a grasp of former (and current!) Mean Green coaches.   It also appears you know of former Mean Green players who are in the coaching realm.   That is fantastic, and I hope they all do well!

However, why would you willingly limit your coaching search to former Mean Green coaches/players?   Like, are these guys the only ones qualified to coach here in your opinion?

Darrell Dickey!  -  OL!
Jeff Rodgers!   -  ST's!
Ryan Walters!  -  CBs!
Marcus Trice!  -  Ss!

You're putting words in my mouth and you look like a 🤡 with all of your exclamation marks. 

GH proved he could run our offense well and I have faith he would turn the program around.

Cobbs is a motivator, great RB coach and has been a bright spot in this dumpster fire.  

Zach is a an up and coming NFL defensive coach who studied under one of the NFL's best defenses and has now coached under Harbaugh and Meyer. The talent is there and it's obvious, to some of us. 

At our level, developing talent shouldn’t only happen with players. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Darrell Dickey!  -  OL!
Jeff Rodgers!   -  ST's!
Ryan Walters!  -  CBs!
Marcus Trice!  -  Ss!

You need a director of recruiting.
https://www.kcbd.com/2021/08/25/beau-davidson-joins-texas-tech-recruiting-staff/

Plus, I’d put Riley on quarterbacks and have Brandon Jackson take the receivers. DT, Shanbour, or Mason could assist with the quarterbacks.

Edit:

517Ev-TBtXL.jpg

Edited by Cr1028
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1