UTEP over LA Tech

Pavlovs Eagle

Good for UTEP. I wonder if their coach has went heavy transfers? They've had pretty terrible HS recruiting classes. Yet, here we are with the "best" classes of CUSA and getting woodshedded every week. At this point, it is what it is. We've known what we are for running years now. Even when we were "good" we weren't really good. 

27 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Good for UTEP. I wonder if their coach has went heavy transfers? They've had pretty terrible HS recruiting classes. Yet, here we are with the "best" classes of CUSA and getting woodshedded every week. At this point, it is what it is. We've known what we are for running years now. Even when we were "good" we weren't really good. 

Not sure about transfers, but he made a comment a couple of years ago when someone was asking about the star rating for players. He commented that at this level stars are not as important as finding players who fit your system and will compete.

4 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Dana Dimel isn’t a great coach, but he struck some sort of luck this year. I mean they were just awful the past 3 years, but look what happens when…

1. You get coaches in the program that can develop players.

2. Canales isn’t your OC

UTEP had the luck of a front loaded easy schedule - but they took advantage of it and now seem to have momentum.

I think to Dimel's credit he has stayed true to his plan and recruited players who fit the system he is trying to run. Who knows, they may fall flat from here on out but at least they are enjoying the ride for now.

Skip Holtz was on the KU Head Coach shortlist that just gave Lance Leipold a 6 year, $16.5 million contract. With several P5 coaches currently on the hot seat, I have no doubt he will be high on their lists too, despite La Tech's struggles this year. He's not coming here guys.  

• Thanks 1