Does AAC make a mad dash for UNT when it looks like the MWC wants UNT & the Texas TV & Recruiting market?

PlummMeanGreen

This round, just like the last several rounds of realignment, is about money. Last time that meant TV markets, and the CUSA is a prime example of why that strategy doesn't work. 

This time around it's about adding schools that can afford to continue to invest in an era with diminishing media rights distributions while other schools (specifically in the XII and the AAC) have to cut budgets significantly to accommodate the new distributions. 

What happened between the Mountain and AAC suggests that the math in going to the AAC has been done, and for most even CUSA schools it wouldn't make sense. Notice how that discussion died so quickly? I'm willing to best a substantial sum that ESPN told the AAC what it's post-raid distribution would be, and it was a huge haircut - probably on the order of 50%. ESPN was paying the AAC for Cincy vs UCF, not Tulsa vs ECU. 

There is a real question for some schools - especially those who don't own their own facilities - as to whether moving to the AAC can make any economic sense. Which is why things seem to have suddenly hit a wall.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Legend500 said:

This round, just like the last several rounds of realignment, is about money. Last time that meant TV markets, and the CUSA is a prime example of why that strategy doesn't work. 

This time around it's about adding schools that can afford to continue to invest in an era with diminishing media rights distributions while other schools (specifically in the XII and the AAC) have to cut budgets significantly to accommodate the new distributions. 

What happened between the Mountain and AAC suggests that the math in going to the AAC has been done, and for most even CUSA schools it wouldn't make sense. Notice how that discussion died so quickly? I'm willing to best a substantial sum that ESPN told the AAC what it's post-raid distribution would be, and it was a huge haircut - probably on the order of 50%. ESPN was paying the AAC for Cincy vs UCF, not Tulsa vs ECU. 

There is a real question for some schools - especially those who don't own their own facilities - as to whether moving to the AAC can make any economic sense. Which is why things seem to have suddenly hit a wall.

AAC commissioner said last week formal invites will be sent within a month. 

1 hour ago, Legend500 said:

Who has the money for the buy outs and buy in? AAC for UAB could be in the range of $7.5m. I’m not sure they could afford the $5.6m to exit C- USA. I think it would be stupid to exit a G5 for another G5 conference. In 2-3 years you could be playing the same teams with the same pay out.

• Upvote 2

On 10/17/2021 at 6:49 AM, PlummMeanGreen said:

Exciting times in Mean Green Country in spite of this football season. 

Some have said the MWC is already a better conference than the AAC top to bottom.  

📺 There are more TV’s in the homes of UNT-affiliated DFW citizens than any other university in DFW & Texas bar none.

•••The DFW Metroplex will pass Philadelphia in the next media census count due to so many out-of-staters who have moved to the Lone Star State.  (Joe Rogan being one of them).😆

https://mediatracks.com/resources/nielsen-dma-rankings-2021/

❇️🦅❇️

I think if MWC. were interested in us and another “available” team in Texas they would have made the more already.  What I find as a particular intriguing speculation is that the MWC to gauge the strength AAC moves to replace the departing teams and countermove.   The boss move to enter Texas imo would be going grabbing Rice, UNT, SMU, UTSA/UTEP/Texas State.  If we were in the conference SMU local TV ratings for both teams go up.  Instantly adding a rivalry game to your TV package.  Neither SMU nor UNT drive local TV numbers (except when we have a big winning season)  but us together would I think.  So my potential boss move as MWC commissioner would be gauging SMU’s interest in moving after the AAC make its recovery move. There isn’t a lot of moves that make sense of the AAC after getting snubbed in their first attempt.  They should move East drop their western most (Tulsa & SMU). teams, grab Marshall, App State.  Maybe add Army (conference Army v Navy game might be a problem.  They should be an east coast conference centered around stronger brands Temple, Navy, ECU, Marshall.  Get as many of their rivals added to the conference that make sense.  Hell with that core and TV partner willing to help them they MIGHT (1 in a 1000 shot) lure road weary West Virginia out of the Big 12.  Rivals would be there for them in that new AAC.  A conference they could not just win but dominate.  

• Upvote 1

On 10/17/2021 at 5:02 PM, untjim1995 said:

I hate to say this, but we can’t compete in either of those conferences if we can’t even avoid the cellar of CUSA West. Sadly, this is where we have proven we belong. 

If the MWC adds us, it’s gonna be a miracle.

Competition, like attendance is relative to the conference that you're in.  We have been somewhat competitive in CUSA.  I believe that we've had one division championship and five bowl games in our relatively short time in the conference.  I believe that if we were admitted to the MWC for example, that we would be up to speed within two years.  We've played most of the members and haven't faired that badly.  Of course Boise State and San Diego State are out of our class now but we have beaten both in the past.  We should be competitive with the other ten.

Yes, this year is a dumpster fire but that doesn't mean that we stay at that level.  We have some good players and if we can keep them healthy and with a successful new coach, we could turn this around in no time.  Stay positive.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/17/2021 at 5:02 PM, wardly said:

The AAC is already in the DFW market with a top 25 foot ball team and does not need us as we bring nothing new to the table. My hope is the MWC but have seen nothing in print to indicate that they are interested in UNT.

I also thought Hillary was a shoo in. What can I say, especially with foot in mouth.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

Competition, like attendance is relative to the conference that you're in.  We have been somewhat competitive in CUSA.  I believe that we've had one division championship and five bowl games in our relatively short time in the conference.  

GrayEagle also says:

“Yes, this year is a dumpster fire but that doesn't mean that we stay at that level.  We have some good players and if we can keep them healthy and with a successful new coach, we could turn this around in no time.  Stay positive.” 

••• The 1974 Mean Green win over the 19’th ranked SDSU Aztecs at Fouts Field was one for the history books.  

🏈Hope to see you at Apogee for the Liberty game, Jack. 

❇️🦅❇️

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

Kinda’ funny how I think it worked out this way (per the thread title). Even after the MWC said they were not going to expand, but in this era when contracts are not even worth the paper they’re written on how could AAC Commissioner Aresco take Craig Thompson at his word when it came for the next re-alignment?  🗣SO—WALA!  UNT is now in the AAC (& not the only MWC member in the DFW area). 

IT’S GAME DAY! 🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

24 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Kinda’ funny how I think it worked out this way (per the thread title). Even after the MWC said they were not going to expand, but in this era when contracts are not even worth the paper they’re written on how could AAC Commissioner Aresco take Craig Thompson at his word when it came for the next re-alignment?  SO—WALA!  UNT is now in the AAC! 👍👍

GAME DAY! 🦅

I have a sneaking feeling that it may have been leaked that the 3 Texas schools were talking to the MWC. Wren and Dr. Smakdown in stealth mode!

• Haha 1