How Does UNT Become A Place To Stay?

Hookset

I remember it was always believed Seth would be moving on from UNT after he had some success. He had success his first 3 years and K-State came calling. That year there was also a mass exodus of the assistant coaches (they surely believed that they should move on because the head coach was leaving and their future here would not be guaranteed with the next HC).

Seth has never recovered from that change in assistant coaches. 
So how does UNT become a place coaches want to stay at and build a lasting program?

Like Patterson at TCU or Gundy at Oklahoma State? 
Is it just because programs like that are P5’s? 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

9 minutes ago, Hookset said:

I remember it was always believed Seth would be moving on from UNT after he had some success. He had success his first 3 years and K-State came calling. That year there was also a mass exodus of the assistant coaches (they surely believed that they should move on because the head coach was leaving and their future here would not be guaranteed with the next HC).

Seth has never recovered from that change in assistant coaches. 
So how does UNT become a place coaches want to stay at and build a lasting program?

I don’t care for it to be a place for coaches to stay. I want our head coaches to get hired by P5 programs that can pay twice what we can. I want to see a new coach every 3-4-5 years because the last one got hired away for money we can’t dream of paying.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

Thus a reason to hire a coach in his 50’s (or early 60’s) whose had some over .500 in career wins success at a P5 school who is not going to want to load up Allied Van Lines & move after only 3 years in Denton (as SL almost did).  Fry’s 6 years served us well.  

Post-1975 season, Rice U’s AD Dickey Moegle offered Fry the Owl’s coach’s job right after his 3’rd season at UNT, but Hayden turned down the SWC school to stay in Denton.  I thought that a remarkable thing from Fry, but few others really seemed to in Denton.  He had pissed off the nesters & boys downtown for being, uh, well, for being forward & progressive thinking Hayden Fry. 

Of course after reading GMG, how many of you were even around in 1975?  I’m getting too old for this. 

• Upvote 5

Here’s what I would love to happen:

Bring back Graham Harrell as the new HC and play caller. We all saw the offensive dropoff after he left. Even Mason Fine wasn't the same after he left. 

Promote Patrick Cobbs to OC and still oversee the running backs.  

Steal Zach Orr from Urban Meyer & Jacksonville and hire him as the next DC. Zach spent YEARS playing in, and learning the Baltimore Ravens defense. The guy is smart, young, and would bring that Baltimore D aggression to UNT.

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/report-zach-orr-to-join-jaguars-defensive-staff

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

37 minutes ago, C Rod said:

Here’s what I would love to happen:

Bring back Graham Harrell as the new HC and play caller. We all saw the offensive dropoff after he left. Even Mason Fine wasn't the same after he left. 

Promote Patrick Cobbs to OC and still oversee the running backs.  

Steal Zach Orr from Urban Meyer & Jacksonville and hire him as the next DC. Zach spent YEARS playing in, and learning the Baltimore Ravens defense. The guy is smart, young, and would bring that Baltimore D aggression to UNT.

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/report-zach-orr-to-join-jaguars-defensive-staff

I’m willing to bet that this scenario is very possible and may even be the top idea in Wren’s mind.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, Hookset said:

No coach with ambition is going to stay long-term at a G5 school if they are good enough to get the chance to move up.

• Eye Roll 1

50 minutes ago, TripleGrad said:

No coach with ambition is going to stay long-term at a G5 school if they are good enough to get the chance to move up.

I agree with this completely. You can try to throw money at them, but money is not the real issue for ambitious and talented coaches. Until we become the next Boise St. we will always be looking for (or should be looking for) the next up-and-comer....even after hiring the newest one.

As long as we stay as a highly desired coaching destination, we could turn over on coaches 3 times before finding one that wants to stay. I have zero worry, as long as we are a place people want to coach w/ a lot of investment, that we could find a coach who’d want to stay, given time.