From this point on every loss is on WB

p_phelps

21 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Firing wren is the dumbest shit I have heard. We are as good at we have been at every sport(outside of football). Facilities and budget are greatest they have ever been. 

HE DIDNT HIRE SETH

HE WASNT THE ONE WHO PUSHED FOR THE RAISE.. no matter what Twitter or the intrawebs tell you…

No one actually wants Wren fired. People are just tired of this crap and want him to step up and actually do his job. It doesn;t matter that Wren didn;t hire Littrell, or that he wasn't totally responsible for the extension. It's Wren job to fix this. That's why he makes more money then every other AD in our conference. RIGHT NOW, NOTHING BAKER IS CURRENTLY DOING IS FIXING ANYTHING. LITTRELL NEEDS TO BE GONE NOW, NOT AT THE END OF THE SEASON. Those are just the facts.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

49 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Firing wren is the dumbest shit I have heard. We are as good at we have been at every sport(outside of football). Facilities and budget are greatest they have ever been. 

HE DIDNT HIRE SETH

HE WASNT THE ONE WHO PUSHED FOR THE RAISE.. no matter what Twitter or the intrawebs tell you…

I was digging around yesterday for what Baker's peers think of him.  Couldn't find him listed in any AD rankings (too young, I think), but I did see his bios at each school and a few quotes.

His gift (thus far, FWIW) seems to be alumni engagement and fund raising.  If he makes the right hire for our next football coach, I think he is exactly what we need here.  Have a solid project on the field, and Wren can find ways to build our alumni base to a level we have only imagined.

EDIT: The SL replacement is likely the most significant hire of Wren's career.  I think he wants to do it right.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

No one actually wants Wren fired. People are just tired of this crap and want him to step up and actually do his job. It doesn;t matter that Wren didn;t hire Littrell, or that he wasn't totally responsible for the extension. It's Wren job to fix this. That's why he makes more money then every other AD in our conference. RIGHT NOW, NOTHING BAKER IS CURRENTLY DOING IS FIXING ANYTHING. LITTRELL NEEDS TO BE GONE NOW, NOT AT THE END OF THE SEASON. Those are just the facts.

He waited till after the season on Benford. That worked out okay. Zero benefit letting him go now. They are already on the coaching search.

• Upvote 5

35 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

He waited till after the season on Benford. That worked out okay. Zero benefit letting him go now. They are already on the coaching search.

Agree strongly here with your take about timing.

I’m a big WB backer, I think he’s done well and I like his management technique with coaches that weren’t “his” hires. He makes sure they have improved resources and gives them a shot to turn things around with better support - if it doesn’t work he moves on. Zero chance SL coaches next season as you noted  and we will have folks hopping back on the bandwagon.

Your extension info is still not spot on but it was a more complicated deal than I first thought, where some external pieces tilted things a bit. Don’t really want to put them on blast because the school will need them moving forward and at the time the decision looked much better than it does now.

If I had one nitpick I’d have him let the track coach garnering all the noise and allegations go - not his hire and doesn’t seem to be particularly successful. I know it his M.O. to make these decisions slowly, but that’s my one question about decision making in the department.

Edited by xyresic
  • Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Football isn't basketball. Comparing the two situations is apples to car tires. We will just have to disagree, because I see zero benefit in keeping Littrell as our head coach for even one more day. Reassign him and he can finish the year in the press box as an analyst or something irrelevant. We need to have a different narrative going for the last 6 games of this season, not the distraction of watching Littrell continue to run this program into the ground.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3