UNT Football Has Quit on Us

Side.Show.Joe

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

It costs about $2.6 million to fire him by himself if you want to pay that bill…I’m sure Wren will take your check

This is a drum that should not be beaten any more, money is not the problem it once was at UNT and surely is not an excuse to keep this coach. 

6 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

This is a drum that should not be beaten any more, money is not the problem it once was at UNT and surely is not an excuse to keep this coach. 

Well, one way or another, it will get proven out which way it’s gonna go.

Ive said all along—for a year, actually—that this schedule is just way too tough for where we are right now and that the best we could do was 4-8. These games from SMU thru Liberty have always been unwinnable. Always. It’s been my belief that SL will only be judged on getting to 4 wins again. The last 5 games are his test and he knows it.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, untjim1995 said:

Ive said all along—for a year, actually—that this schedule is just way too tough for where we are right now and that the best we could do was 4-8. These games from SMU thru Liberty have always been unwinnable. Always. It’s been my belief that SL will only be judged on getting to 4 wins again. The last 5 games are his test and he knows it.

Way to set the bar low. Why should we expect Littrell (a 6th year coach) to be able to compete with legitimate G5 FBS programs? Just wow. Littrell doesn't deserve to run this program for even one more down. HE HAS TO GO NOW!

• Upvote 5

Then pray they don't fire Seth mid-season. If that happens, PB is your defacto interim head coach, and if he accidentally wins some games, your boosters might take a liking to him.

• Sad 2

That sure as shit better not be true. I don't see a way in hell Littrell survives the season at this point. I am not sure if Seth survives the week after this wreck of a game. 

Just now, Side.Show.Joe said:

Way to set the bar low. Why should we expect Littrell (a 6th year coach) to be able to compete with legitimate G5 FBS programs? Just wow. Littrell doesn't deserve to run this program for even one more down. HE HAS TO GO NOW!

Oh, I’m not setting any bars—that’s what I believe the AD and the BOR are willing to accept to not buy him out…

Just now, KingDL1 said:

That sure as shit better not be true. I don't see a way in hell Littrell survives the season at this point. I am not sure if Seth survives the week after this wreck of a game. 

Hey, I hope you’re right. I just think this place has a different way of looking at football here than we as long time fans do…

23 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

And being the “music school” that UNT is, maybe the university could give s schit about football.

I've been hearing that "music school" stuff since I first stepped foot on the NTSU campus.  Maybe it's time that a single department of pink hairs quit defining the 6th largest school in Texas.

Edited by TripleGrad
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

And being the “music school” that UNT is, maybe the university could give s schit about football.

Right, Deep. The football budget is about three times the entire budget of the CoM. That will show you where the priorities are.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I’m proud of NTs Music school!   It’s full of a bunch of really brilliant students!   No need to trash them because the football team sucks.

It’s the primary window to our alma mater, the CoM. Football is what we do to support the Green Brigade. I can’t tell you how many times at Fouts that I heard people walk up to get tickets just to watch them march and then leave afterwards—it was very common. 

I don’t blame us for even doing it this way. It’s just different from almost every other football-playing university in the country. It is what it is.

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I’m proud of NTs Music school!   It’s full of a bunch of really brilliant students!   No need to trash them because the football team sucks.

Hey, I have a UNT Drumline jacket still hanging in the closet.  I know the music folks are good.  But that "North Texas is a Music School" perception (and promotion) has harmed the overall marketing of the school, and definitely was part of the fan malaise that has affected athletics since the 80s.  Chicken and egg, who knows, but the schools that are well known big-time machines are FOCUSED on football in a way that North Texas has never been.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

16 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Oh, I’m not setting any bars—that’s what I believe the AD and the BOR are willing to accept to not buy him out…

If you are right, than they are making a very big mistake. There is no more understanding left within our fan base. If they hang on to Littrell, they will lose everything. One way or another, Littrell's program is over. If the BOR, Wren, Smat, or the rest of the university want to watch it all burn down, than they will get their wish. But, it is over.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Side.Show.Joe said:

If you are right, than they are making a very big mistake. There is no more understanding left within our fan base. If they hang on to Littrell, they will lose everything. One way or another, Littrell's program is over. If the BOR, Wren, Smat, or the rest of the university want to watch it all burn down, than they will get their wish. But, it is over.

They are currently stuck between SL costing them $2.6 million to get rid of or bringing him back to save at least $1.3 million. I believe that is why SL knows he needs 4 wins and he will put all of his efforts into winning games in the last 5. The Lovelaces are the monied alums that love SL. From all accounts, Wren loves SL. Same with Smatresk. Money is not in big supply around here. They don’t want to spend it if they can avoid it at all costs. But under 4 wins is probably what does it for SL’s tenure here. Sadly, we ought to hope for that.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

They are currently stuck between SL costing them $2.6 million to get rid of or bringing him back to save at least $1.3 million. I believe that is why SL knows he needs 4 wins and he will put all of his efforts into winning games in the last 5. The Lovelaces are the monied alums that love SL. From all accounts, Wren loves SL. Same with Smatresk. Money is not in big supply around here. They don’t want to spend it if they can avoid it at all costs. But under 4 wins is probably what does it for SL’s tenure here. Sadly, we ought to hope for that.

None of that matters. Littrell has to be fired. I love my mother, but I'd fire her in a heartbeat if she ran our program like Littrell runs it. This can't be personal. It's business. The Lovelaces, Wren, Smat, and any other influential people need to stand aside and let the university do what has to be done. It must end now, because it is all coming down.

Edited by Side.Show.Joe
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

None of that matters. Littrell has to be fired. I love my mother, but I'd fire her in a heartbeat if she ran our program like Littrell runs it. This can't be personal. It's business. The Lovelaces, Wren, Smat, and any other influential people need to stand aside and let the university do what has to be done. It must end now, because it is all coming down.

How long have you followed the program?

• Upvote 1

Since 1986. First time I ever left before “You’ll never walk alone.” Are you listening Wren Man. That’s a long freaking time. Make a change you’re losing or have lost the hard cores. Us folks don’t come back with a pretty please and a sexy promotion. 

Ive been a fan since before you were born and will support the patch after. It’s either you or someone else who brings the Mean Green Pride back.

GMG 

• Upvote 5

34 minutes ago, letsgiveacheer said:

Right, Deep. The football budget is about three times the entire budget of the CoM. That will show you where the priorities are.

Perception of UNT across the state/tri state region by others.  Which is here nor there.  We just made the wrong hire with Seth.  And, in retrospect, the high dollar extension was foolish.  Now we’re stuck.

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Mute point.  This team ain’t winning 4 games.