UNT Football Has Quit on Us

Side.Show.Joe

4 hours ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

Posting on this board won’t do you much good. Unless you reach out to Wren via social media or email your really just wasting your own time. I get posting about what makes you mad and I am not here to tell you to stop, but if you think change is coming from posting on GMG.com then your sadly mistaken

You really think Wren and the AD ignore this board?  You would be sadly mistaken my friend.  Just trust me.  I had an issue I raised here on the board last year and Wren approached me at the tailgate about it 3 hours before the damn game started!  Believe me they read everything posted here lol.

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, Jonnyeagle said:

You really think Wren and the AD ignore this board?  You would be sadly mistaken my friend.  Just trust me.  I had an issue I raised here on the board last year and Wren approached me at the tailgate about it 3 hours before the damn game started!  Believe me they read everything posted here lol.

I am not saying they ignore this board, I am saying sending the same message 100 times on here is not the best way to get the point across. I am sure many people in the AD read this board. I too use this board more than just about anything. I don't think people understood my point. Oh Well. 

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...
On 10/15/2021 at 7:19 PM, Side.Show.Joe said:

Littrell should have been gone long before now. What I'm seeing on the field tonight is just horrible. No discipline. No coaching. No care. Just a lot of quit.

I'm done. Nothing about this is redeemable.

Why won't Wren do his job and fire Littrell. I like Wren, but this is totally unacceptable. Now, I think Wren needs to go too. It is time for new leadership. I can no longer support any of this.

If fans on here don;t like this opinion... to bad. I don't care anymore. IT NEEDS TO CHANGE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good your done.  New fans await!!

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 6

On 11/30/2021 at 9:30 PM, Rick Herold said:

Good your done.  New fans await!!

Ha! I've probably been loyal to our program since you were in diapers and I've still got another 40 or 50 years in me. Despite beating 4 bums and an over-matched UTSA squad, Littrell still needs to go. He isn't the coach we need to lead us into the American. But, we can argue that after the bowl.

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 6
  • Puking Eagle 2

15 minutes ago, rcade said:

You should have more gratitude for us. We turned this season around with our tough criticism on this message board. I for one have never been prouder.

I hope this is sarcasm especially the “never been prouder” part.  This season is equivalent to you child goofing off, not doing his homework or studying for half of the semester and rallying to get his grade up to a C- if gets a B or aces the final exam he has yet to take.  

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

26 minutes ago, Cerebus said:
  1. Denial
  2. Anger <-- YOU ARE HERE
  3. Bargaining
  4. Depression
  5. Acceptance

Barring some huge scandal, or SL deciding to drop kick one of the big donor's pets off McConnell Tower, he will be back next year.

Or you could say he, and others need to accept that #Hit6 is still consider successful at UNT and for all of the talk, NEW DENTON is true when it comes to facilities and salaries, but it is very similar to OLD DENTON when it comes to demands of success on the field and acceptance of excuses for not making changes.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Puking Eagle 2

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Or you could say he, and others need to accept that #Hit6 is still consider successful at UNT and for all of the talk, NEW DENTON is true when it comes to facilities and salaries, but it is very similar to OLD DENTON when it comes to demands of success on the field and acceptance of excuses for not making changes.

When I accept that this is the standard for most Mean Green Fans that care enough to support the program I won’t be a fan anymore.  Because if we aren’t winning a G5 conference or division title at least every 5 years it is pointless.  It does nothing for the profile of the university.  A hit 6 standard is just  waiting around for the new huge shift in FBS requirements or conference re-alignment that makes us a FCS program again practically or actually.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, Cerebus said:
  1. Denial
  2. Anger <-- YOU ARE HERE
  3. Bargaining
  4. Depression
  5. Acceptance

Barring some huge scandal, or SL deciding to drop kick one of the big donor's pets off McConnell Tower, he will be back next year.

Old Denton just doesn't get it....

Our big money donors don't own this program. There are many more regular fans that want and expect a change in direction. Sure those big money donors may not be willing to pay Seth's buyout, but the university better do it or find the money somewhere else. If Seth is back next season we will have a fractured fan base, and Wren will get ulcers over the very public fight that will play out over the course of next season. But, like I stated earlier, I'd rather shelf this discussion until after the bowl game.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

8 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

Old Denton just doesn't get it....

Our big money donors don't own this program. There are many more regular fans that want and expect a change in direction. Sure those big money donors may not be willing to pay Seth's buyout, but the university better do it or find the money somewhere else. If Seth is back next season we will have a fractured fan base, and Wren will get ulcers over the very public fight that will play out over the course of next season. But, like I stated earlier, I'd rather shelf this discussion until after the bowl game.

Yes, and these big money donors can’t own the program.  Look how that has worked out at UT.  The goal for this program’s bottom line is to have MORE big money donors.   And you aren’t going to get them by being mediocre.   I can’t say for certain but there are probably several alumni that were students in early 2000s that are on their way to be able to being to afford being big money donors.  Those alumni remember what winning felt like and these 6-6 season without a division or conference title don’t cut it.  

None of these “Big Money Donors” are worth even 500 million I would estimate. Otherwise I think they would usher Seth out the door barring a great bowl appearance.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

40 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

When I accept that this is the standard for most Mean Green Fans that care enough to support the program I won’t be a fan anymore.  Because if we aren’t winning a G5 conference or division title at least every 5 years it is pointless.  It does nothing for the profile of the university.  A hit 6 standard is just  waiting around for the new huge shift in FBS requirements or conference re-alignment that makes us a FCS program again practically or actually.

Well... We won the division 4 years ago...

• Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 2

Just now, golfingomez said:

Well... We won the division 4 years ago...

I acknowledge that but like I said in another form.  Seth came her as a sling the ball around “let it fly” coach.  Even with this winning streak,  the passing accuracy has efficiency has been going down 3 straight years.  He hasn’t been able to develop recruit or develop a successor to Mason Fine.  And he has a been shot of finding a living breathing unicorn than another “too short” high school QB to play QB.  I can’t tell you what Seth is really good at in year 6 and doesn’t bode well for division championship hopes next year.  

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

I acknowledge that but like I said in another form.  Seth came her as a sling the ball around “let it fly” coach.  Even with this winning streak,  the passing accuracy has efficiency has been going down 3 straight years.  He hasn’t been able to develop recruit or develop a successor to Mason Fine.  And he has a been shot of finding a living breathing unicorn than another “too short” high school QB to play QB.  I can’t tell you what Seth is really good at in year 6 and doesn’t bode well for division championship hopes next year.  

So according to your standard set above, Seth has been on track to deliver as a head coach. A division or conference title one every five years... 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

49 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Yes, and these big money donors can’t own the program.  Look how that has worked out at UT.  The goal for this program’s bottom line is to have MORE big money donors.   And you aren’t going to get them by being mediocre.   I can’t say for certain but there are probably several alumni that were students in early 2000s that are on their way to be able to being to afford being big money donors.  Those alumni remember what winning felt like and these 6-6 season without a division or conference title don’t cut it.  

None of these “Big Money Donors” are worth even 500 million I would estimate. Otherwise I think they would usher Seth out the door barring a great bowl appearance.

Not even worth 500 million, well they certainly shouldn't have any influence over NT athletics.

Just from a logic standpoint, why would any team get rid of a coach that has just won 5 straight including 1 of the biggest wins in their history.   Other than some type of outrageous behavior or big demands; there is no reason. 

NT might get lucky and get a better coach after spending a few million on buying out the old contract, IMO is not even close to a good reason. 

There is also the little factor, that NT is a relatively young but experienced team that certainly seem to like playing for Littrell.    

2018 was a definite rebuilding year, 2019 was meaningless because of the covid implications, and 2020 ended strong despite NT losing conference games that I believe they could win if replayed at the end of the year. 

So rant all you want, you certainly know Littrell is as likely to be back next year as any D1 coach in the nation. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

I think Seth has done well enough to retain his position as head coach for another year but that decision is really in the hands of Wren Baker and the Board of Regents.

Next year, as we approach the end of Littrell's contract, I don't think anybody, Wren, our regents, our fans, our team, and even Seth himself, will be satisfied enough with a six win season to extend the contract.

So, be happy. You're in a Win - Win situation. Your team either starts winning consistently or you get a new coach.

I know we're all hoping for the best but can also understand if changes will then need to be made.

Until then, enjoy the hell out of this bowl season that the team and the coaches have provided.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

19 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

Ha! I've probably been loyal to our program since you were in diapers.

I don't think you're anywhere near correct in your age statement, and I don't think there are many people that can rival Rick's profound dedication to the program (and not questioning yours either as I appreciate every supporter).

Rick is not only a financial booster but has also provided decades of volunteer service to the athletic department, specifically with organizing the annual Don January Golf Tournaments to raise money for athletics. He was even awarded UNT's prestigious 2002 Ulys Knight Spirit Award. Rick has literally made a career out of making other people's lives better: https://aapra.org/About-AAPRA/Member-Biography?Id=81  . Seriously, discard this tiff and introduce yourself to him at one of the games. He's a wonderful person.

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 6
  • Pissed 1

3 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

You sticking with that if we get drove in the bowl game?  Not pointing fingers just having a similar dilemma myself on this thing.

Sorry, I thought I stated that pretty clearly. That decision belongs to Wren Baker, President Smatresk, and our Board of Regents.

This dude will abide.

• Upvote 3

I argue that Seth is worth keeping as long as he keeps passing thresholds. 

We effin' sucked against teams above 500 under Seth. 2 of our last 5 wins were over teams with winning records.

We effin sucked against UTSA in 2020 and could've let the rivalry go entirely in their favor, and he made sure the exact opposite happened.

We effin' sucked doing anything on offense in September/October and he kept having faith in his OL and RBs. Aune got so much better throughout the year. The OL got so much better. Ragsdale and Adeyi have emerged as the RBs of the near future. Our defense is the second most improved in FBS.

We expect relevance from Seth Littrell and he has not given it to us. Beating UTSA is relevance. Winning a bowl game is relevance. I do think he is not the right guy to lead us into the AAC 

BUT 

If he can win the bowl, and show that things are steering in the right direction, I am willing to be patient with him in 2022. I am still of the belief that a decent to good QB on this roster as is gets us 8-9 wins. I do not believe we lose to SMU, UAB or Louisiana Tech with a competent, reliable QB.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ADLER said:

I think Seth has done well enough to retain his position as head coach for another year but that decision is really in the hands of Wren Baker and the Board of Regents.

Next year, as we approach the end of Littrell's contract, I don't think anybody, Wren, our regents, our fans, our team, and even Seth himself, will be satisfied enough with a six win season to extend the contract.

So, be happy. You're in a Win - Win situation. Your team either starts winning consistently or you get a new coach.

I know we're all hoping for the best but can also understand if changes will then need to be made.

Until then, enjoy the hell out of this bowl season that the team and the coaches have provided.

I disagree. I don't think Seth has done nearly enough to retain his job. Sure winning the last five games was great, but it doesn't negate the years of underpreforming and struggled against good programs. Too many people around here just want to focus on the last 5 games and avoid the results of the 2019 and 2020 season. Too many don't want to face the truth about our 2018, 9 win season either. And, too many don't want to look at all 4 bowl beat downs under Seth's leadership. Enough is enough.

After last season fans on this board said he would be gone if he underpreformed in '21. Well, 6-6 is underpreforming. With the exception of UTSA, all we beat this season was bums. It is time for a change. The level of competition will go up in the American, and over 6 seasons Littrell is a .500 coach in C-USA. Nothing about that level of mediocrity merits Seth being allowed to stay in charge as we prepare for the most important move in the history of our athletic department.

Again, I too would prefer to discuss this after we play our bowl game. On that we can agree.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, ADLER said:

I don't think you're anywhere near correct in your age statement, and I don't think there are many people that can rival Rick's profound dedication to the program (and not questioning yours either as I appreciate every supporter).

Rick is not only a financial booster but has also provided decades of volunteer service to the athletic department, specifically with organizing the annual Don January Golf Tournaments to raise money for athletics. He was even awarded UNT's prestigious 2002 Ulys Knight Spirit Award. Rick has literally made a career out of making other people's lives better: https://aapra.org/About-AAPRA/Member-Biography?Id=81  . Seriously, discard this tiff and introduce yourself to him at one of the games. He's a wonderful person.

I don't know Rick. But when I see a guy with 2 post telling me "you're done and new fans await", it sounds like a new fan. I'm glad Rick cares about the program too, and I appreciate his commitment to UNT. We just have different views on the best path forward. I don't discourage opinions and would never encourage any of our fans to leave. We need all the support we can get.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

24 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

I disagree. I don't think Seth has done nearly enough to retain his job. Sure winning the last five games was great, but it doesn't negate the years of underpreforming and struggled against good programs. Too many people around here just want to focus on the last 5 games and avoid the results of the 2019 and 2020 season. Too many don't want to face the truth about our 2018, 9 win season either. And, too many don't want to look at all 4 bowl beat downs under Seth's leadership. Enough is enough.

After last season fans on this board said he would be gone if he underpreformed in '21. Well, 6-6 is underpreforming. With the exception of UTSA, all we beat this season was bums. It is time for a change. The level of competition will go up in the American, and over 6 seasons Littrell is a .500 coach in C-USA. Nothing about that level of mediocrity merits Seth being allowed to stay in charge as we prepare for the most important move in the history of our athletic department.

Again, I too would prefer to discuss this after we play our bowl game. On that we can agree.

So 2.5 years underperforming, 3.5 years overperforming.

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1