FIRE SL NOW!!!

Cooke County Kid

Tonight reminds me of when the team quit on coach Mac against Portland State. However, we find ourselves is a conundrum. According to USA Today dated 10/15, Seth Littrell's buy out as of December 1st is $2,925,00. As a point of reference, UAB's buyout is $7,600,000,Charlotte $2,100,000,FAU $2,250,000, La. Tech, $3,000,000, Marshall, $2,400,000, and UTSA,$2,900,000. While most of CUSA is in the same buyout boat, the annual income for head football coaches at these universities is between $755,000 and $830,000 with two exceptions; Littrell at $1,900,000, and Clark at UAB, $1,550,000.  An interesting contrast [to me[ is that Holtz at LA. Tech makes $775,000 per year with a $3,000,000 buyout, while Napier at ULL makes $2,000,000 annually and has a $4,900,000 buyout. In summary, you don't always get what you pay for, but a nearly $3,000,000 buyout for Littrell is a big nut, one that UNT may not be able to pay.

• Lovely Take 1

1 minute ago, denton_days said:

I mean if he finds a new position quick, that should help pay that, right?....

right?

Does it have to be in football, I heard Seth spends most of his time playing golf his new favorite sport. Maybe he could caddy. 

Not sure how he still has a job except he is the buffer between our amazing fanbase and the wren. Baker protecting his house at this point. Seth doesn’t deserve this program and maybe baker doesn’t either.

Correct this UNT. 
GMG

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, NM Green said:

Not sure how he still has a job except he is the buffer between our amazing fanbase and the wren. Baker protecting his house at this point. Seth doesn’t deserve this program and maybe baker doesn’t either.

Correct this UNT. 
GMG

It’s more than just football.  I just want to know what was the discussion between Neal and Wren when they were pondering extending Seth.  He was far from underpaid before he got the extension.  He had not won anything significant.  The offer should have tacked on 2 years with an extra 200k in each year, add in a bonus for a conference championship of 750k.  If Wren was cheerleading the extension he got, then he would be on my hot seat.  If Neal pressured Wren into extending Seth the Wren should be safe.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

It’s more than just football.  I just want to know what was the discussion between Neal and Wren when they were pondering extending Seth.  He was far from underpaid before he got the extension.  He had not won anything significant.  The offer should have tacked on 2 years with an extra 200k in each year, add in a bonus for a conference championship of 750k.  If Wren was cheerleading the extension he got, then he would be on my hot seat.  If Neal pressured Wren into extending Seth the Wren should be safe.

When it reaches this level of incompetence, No one should be safe. Fire them all.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Mike Jackson said:

Guys, if memory serves, most of us were happy when Seth got a new contract. Of course the average Joe [i.e.me] wasn't aware  of the size of the buyout. I didn't even think to ask. However, hind site is 20/20. If Neal catches heat from the Board of Governors then Wren has a major problem. His saving grace is that Neal hired Wren and no one likes to admit their mistakes.Otherwise, its when, not if Seth goes, and where do we get the money. I  would think the amount due would be paid out over a number of years less what Littrell earns elsewhere during that period of time.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

I think any in future contracts after your 1st year if you end up in the ESPN bottom 10 you should give back half your yearly salary.  Maybe SL has lost the fire to be HC but enjoys the money so he is doing a half ass job.

Future contracts should be based on the Michigan model

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, wardly said:

Guys, if memory serves, most of us were happy when Seth got a new contract. Of course the average Joe [i.e.me] wasn't aware  of the size of the buyout. I didn't even think to ask. However, hind site is 20/20. If Neal catches heat from the Board of Governors then Wren has a major problem. His saving grace is that Neal hired Wren and no one likes to admit their mistakes.Otherwise, its when, not if Seth goes, and where do we get the money. I  would think the amount due would be paid out over a number of years less what Littrell earns elsewhere during that period of time.

I for one wasn’t happy about the extension, especially the size.  Like I said he was already well compensated for a CUSA program head coach.  And had not reached some basic goals achievable goals here. ( Win a bowl game, Win conference or at least earn a conference championship game at home.  Side.Show.Joe went off the deep end.  I agree with the frustrated passion. Operating like you are desperate to keep a coach that has just performed adequately is something a program just moving from Fouts Field to Apogee in CUSA I would understand doing.  If Mac had done similar I could maybe understand a desperation move.  He had experience at the P5 level and he had been well compensated as a coordinator and head coach for over a decade.  Seth had 3 WR with borderline NFL talent all 3 either on active roster or practice squad right now.  A great running back now also in the NFL.  (Probably a QB in the league to if he closer to 6’ 3” than 5’ 9”).  

We shouldn’t be in a rush to extend any coach that hasn’t put 3 winning seasons together within his tenure.  I don’t think any school with resources better than most of its conference opponents should.  Let the hot upstart walk and you are in position to hire another  one. 🤷🏽‍♂️  Imagine what kind of staff we could afford to hire if we weren’t other 3 million in the hole with the current one. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, wardly said:

Tonight reminds me of when the team quit on coach Mac against Portland State. However, we find ourselves is a conundrum. According to USA Today dated 10/15, Seth Littrell's buy out as of December 1st is $2,925,00. As a point of reference, UAB's buyout is $7,600,000,Charlotte $2,100,000,FAU $2,250,000, La. Tech, $3,000,000, Marshall, $2,400,000, and UTSA,$2,900,000. While most of CUSA is in the same buyout boat, the annual income for head football coaches at these universities is between $755,000 and $830,000 with two exceptions; Littrell at $1,900,000, and Clark at UAB, $1,550,000.  An interesting contrast [to me[ is that Holtz at LA. Tech makes $775,000 per year with a $3,000,000 buyout, while Napier at ULL makes $2,000,000 annually and has a $4,900,000 buyout. In summary, you don't always get what you pay for, but a nearly $3,000,000 buyout for Littrell is a big nut, one that UNT may not be able to pay.

Do you happen to have a link to an article or something where SLs current contract info was available /FOIAd?

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

wardly:

"According to USA Today dated 10/15, Seth Littrell's buy out as of December 1st is $2,925,00."

This board, Go Mean Green, has about 15K members. If we each pitched in $200, that would cover it.

I'm in.

Edited by Greenrex
  • Upvote 7

18 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

Count me in

So thinking outside the box Wren could send a letter to all 15K Mean Green Club members by explaining  the cost to buy out Seth and" assessing" the membership the difference between what UNT can afford to pay and the $3 million owed.  For example, I would expect UNT to eat half the buyout and the Mean Green Club members to be assessed the remaining debt, which is $100 per membership. Just a thought on "Football Saturday" with coffee and newspaper in hand.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, wardly said:

So thinking outside the box Wren could send a letter to all 15K Mean Green Club members by explaining  the cost to buy out Seth and" assessing" the membership the difference between what UNT can afford to pay and the $3 million owed.  For example, I would expect UNT to eat half the buyout and the Mean Green Club members to be assessed the remaining debt, which is $100 per membership. Just a thought on "Football Saturday" with coffee and newspaper in hand.

I am obviously not a big time donor to the school, but I would be on board with this. 

• Upvote 1