UNT head football coaching position

wardly

3 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

There are pros and cons to the job. But what job can we not say that about? 

If success or using unt as a stepping stone is the goal of a hire, well then that hire may want to look elsewhere. UNT will not build lasting success until we find our Gary Patterson. Someone 100% committed to unt with a burning rage of hunger for success. Given the day and age we're in, that'll be difficult to mirror. So, go flexbone. 

I 100% disagree with this take.  Especially that last part because Texas is such a spread offense state.  We need to recruit guys who are readily available to us.

Finding someone like Gary Patterson, Bill Snyder or Bobby Bowden is virtually impossible.  However, if we can find that guy, I'm all for it!

IMO, we can and should build on successful hire after successful hire like what Boise St. has done:
Houston Nutt  (1997)
Dirk Koetter  (1998–2000)
Dan Hawkins  (2001–2005)
Chris Petersen  (2006–2013)
Bryan Harsin  (2014–2020)
Andy Avalos  (2021–present)

7 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

The program needs a major rebuild, and that will require someone experienced who has done it before. 

Arkansas needed a major rebuild after Chad Morris set fire to it.   
Who did they turn to?  Someone who's done it before?  NOPE!   They turned to a career assistant (OL coach) who happened to be the most qualified guy for the job: Sam Pittman.

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Who did they turn to?  Someone who's done it before?  NOPE!   They turned to a career assistant (OL coach) who happened to be the most qualified guy for the job: Sam Pittman.

This. And what a job he's done. Their team would do a fake fair catch and then some against our current team. Go for the best available

• Upvote 1

To summarize, I believe that we are in agreement that the UNT head coaching position is one to be sought after and desired, that we have the location, administrative financial support, and facilities to be successful, and that its' a matter of finding our Moses to lead us to the promise land, which  is the hard part. Thanks to all for their input, Ward White.

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I don't think the "UNT Job" or things surrounding UNT, I call it UNT's "infrastructure": facilities, support, salaries, is the reason Seth Littrell can't get his team ready to play or why he can't hire good assistants. The "UNT Job" has everything we need to be successful. What does La Tech have that we don't? Besides a good coach? What does Louisiana or Coastal Carolina have? What did UCF have 10 years ago? What has Arkansas St had over the years?  Are those "better jobs?" Do they have better facilities? Better location? More Money? 

Of course this is a good job. We're a shiny new race car with all the best features....we just need a driver. These other programs are driving Camrys and beating us on the track because our drivers have sucked.

Wren Baker is going to have to use what he has at his disposal and hire the right guy. If he does, this thing could turn around quickly. Guarantee other ADs would LOVE to have Wren Baker's situation.

200.gif

• Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1

Great topic.  Sometimes I think we are the consummate Snakebit U.  If you were not a long-term fan of UNT, you'd find it hard to believe what we've been through in our history.  Every time we seem to be moving in the right direction with success on the field and you feel like we've finally turned the corner, we back slide in a spectacular way.  Have we ever won an "opportunity" game?  I mean ever, ever?  We are constantly starting over.  It's really hard to fathom when you think about it.  

If we had a new stadium, then we'd be better.  If we invested in our football program, then we'd be better.  If we were in a better conference with better opponents, then we'd be better.  If we had an indoor practice facility, then we'd be better.  If we had support of the administration, then we'd be better.  If we were able to attract a bunch of 3-start recruits, then we'd be better.  If we paid our coaches enough to attract top talent, then we'd be better.  We're running out of ifs.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, keith said:

Great topic.  Sometimes I think we are the consummate Snakebit U.  If you were not a long-term fan of UNT, you'd find it hard to believe what we've been through in our history.  Every time we seem to be moving in the right direction with success on the field and you feel like we've finally turned the corner, we back slide in a spectacular way.  Have we ever won an "opportunity" game?  I mean ever, ever?  We are constantly starting over.  It's really hard to fathom when you think about it.  

If we had a new stadium, then we'd be better.  If we invested in our football program, then we'd be better.  If we were in a better conference with better opponents, then we'd be better.  If we had an indoor practice facility, then we'd be better.  If we had support of the administration, then we'd be better.  If we were able to attract a bunch of 3-start recruits, then we'd be better.  If we paid our coaches enough to attract top talent, then we'd be better.  We're running out of ifs.

My last [and I mean it] statement on this subject is that while we are in violent agreement that we have a great job soon to become available, we,at least I, don't have any idea how we are perceived by the coaching community. Reminds me of the story of the Sales Manager of BIG WOLF dog food company standing before his sale force at their annual sales meeting saying ," I don't understand it! We have the best canned dog food on the market. It has more beef that our competitor, our packaging is the envy of the industry, and we can match anyone"s pricing. Someone please tell me why we are not selling dog food! " The sales reps from Denton stood up in the back and replied, " the dogs don't like it." While we can agree that UNT has an excellent coaching position coming available lets hope that the dogs like it.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, ColoradoEagle said:

Arkansas was coming off a 4-8 season and ended 2-10 with wins over Eastern Illinois and Tulsa that year.  We were finally lucky to catch an SEC team at rock bottom.  This was a great game and a great win.  However, the real "opportunity game" in 2018 was against LaTech at home.  We win that game and we start the season 5-0.  We won the next two games and could have been 7-0 going into the UAB contest.  A 7-0 UNT with a win on the road over an SEC team (even in a down year) and oh, what could have been.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

And how did that season end? We got curbed stomped in the NM Bowl and started the next season 2-4 with blow outs against SMU and UH. Any momentum we had from the 2018 season had evaporated.

2 minutes ago, keith said:

Arkansas was coming off a 4-8 season and ended 2-10 with wins over Eastern Illinois and Tulsa that year.  We were finally lucky to catch an SEC team at rock bottom.  This was a great game and a great win.  However, the real "opportunity game" in 2018 was against LaTech at home.  We win that game and we start the season 5-0.  We won the next two games and could have been 7-0 going into the UAB contest.  A 7-0 UNT with a win on the road over an SEC team (even in a down year) and oh, what could have been.

Y'all,
He's just answering the question.   "Opportunity Game" = P5 school pays you to come play at their place.

NT Won the "Opportunity Game" at Arkansas in 2018.

10 minutes ago, wardly said:

My last [and I mean it] statement on this subject is that while we are in violent agreement that we have a great job soon to become available, we,at least I, don't have any idea how we are perceived by the coaching community. 

<snip>

Hopefully we are not seen as the Afghanistan for promising coaching careers, but I fear we are heading in that direction.

• Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, wardly said:

My last [and I mean it] statement on this subject is that while we are in violent agreement that we have a great job soon to become available, we,at least I, don't have any idea how we are perceived by the coaching community. Reminds me of the story of the Sales Manager of BIG WOLF dog food company standing before his sale force at their annual sales meeting saying ," I don't understand it! We have the best canned dog food on the market. It has more beef that our competitor, our packaging is the envy of the industry, and we can match anyone"s pricing. Someone please tell me why we are not selling dog food! " The sales reps from Denton stood up in the back and replied, " the dogs don't like it." While we can agree that UNT has an excellent coaching position coming available lets hope that the dogs like it.

The athletic I believe wrote about how our. coaching position is a very hot job, and the D1ticker poll among AD’s seems to corroborate that.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Here's something that gets lost in this whole discussion.   All college head coaches (and coordinators) HAVE EGOS.  They're just like the 5* kid that commits to OU, even though there are 2-3 other highly touted kids at his same position in front of him.   They believe that they are special and can do what nobody else can.  

Head coaches are no different.   If you showed Kendall Briles (or Scott Frost, or insert your favorite name) this university, with these facilities, with this salary, in this recruiting marketplace...there is a less than 1% chance that coach says "nah, others haven't succeeded so I'm sure to fail too."   

That (bolded) is what makes the world work.

2 hours ago, MrAlien said:

The program needs a major rebuild, and that will require someone experienced who has done it before. 

Disagree. We have everything in place for success, just replace the man up top, assuming it’s the right new hire, and watch this program explode.

i still believe we have incredible athletes representing the Mean Green, and the right man overseeing the entire thing (Wren).

not a major rebuild at all, IMO.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Great post, TIgreen01! 👍👍

🦅 Rick Gosselin (Dallas Morning News Sports)   
“How can North Texas football emerge from obscurity? Boise State provides a blueprint.”

🦅 ”North Texas another Boise State? Why not?”    
 (A quote from Norm Hitzges, KTCK 1310 “The Ticket)

No school has had head football coach’s turnover like our ex conference mate Boise State but— most years they just kept on winning (& getting Top 25 rankings) anyway. Their Fiesta Bowl win over OU is still a bowl favorite for many of us. 

•••Scroll half way down this link to see the BSU Bronco’s  history of Head Football Coach hirings.  To me, It’s actually uncanny.

https://cfbalmanac.com/fbs-teams-boise-state-football-history-records-and-database/

👨‍🦯

😲 OMG! This has to be the shortest PMG post in the history of GMG.com!!!................Sorry Jim..........😎

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Disagree. We have everything in place for success, just replace the man up top, assuming it’s the right new hire, and watch this program explode.

i still believe we have incredible athletes representing the Mean Green, and the right man overseeing the entire thing (Wren).

not a major rebuild at all, IMO.

Agree. The only thing is; like with any change, players are going to be leaving/hitting the portal once Littrell is gone. I suspect a decent amount of current players will leave once that happens. It will be interesting to see how the new coach responds, either hitting the portal themselves or recruiting straight out of high school.

• Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

Here's something that gets lost in this whole discussion.   All college head coaches (and coordinators) HAVE EGOS.  They're just like the 5* kid that commits to OU, even though there are 2-3 other highly touted kids at his same position in front of him.   They believe that they are special and can do what nobody else can.  

Head coaches are no different.   If you showed Kendall Briles (or Scott Frost, or insert your favorite name) this university, with these facilities, with this salary, in this recruiting marketplace...there is a less than 1% chance that coach says "nah, others haven't succeeded so I'm sure to fail too."   

I remember reading (I think in the NT Daily) a one-on-one interview with Corkey Nelson not long after he was hired. I don't remember the question exactly, but I'm sure it was something in the area of "why should North Texas have hired you as it's next head coach"?  I remember Coach Nelson's answer "because I'm a hell of a coach". Now, THAT got my attention. It sounded like something Hayden Fry might have said if the interviewer had caught him not being "Mr. Diplomat or Mr. Salesman.

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Maybe  Sam Pittman said the same thing to the hiring person/committee at Arkansas as Corkey Nelson said to that reporter.....and to the UNT hiring person/committee.

• Confused 1