3MW - CUSA Preview

jdennis82

11 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

The thing they underrate NT basketball in is, McCasland is the best coach in the league.

With only two starters returning, NT is not going to be picked to win the conference.  However, I think they could well win it again, in a 14 team league that is not going to be easy.  

Losing the Conference POY probably doesn’t help the perception either.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Losing the Conference POY probably doesn’t help the perception either.

Actually it does help the perception, the conference POY came from NT.   Do you not think that is a positive to recruits?

As it apples to predictions, sure it is about who returns and who is added.  NT is not going to be picked over teams with similar or better last year records with the majority of their players returning. 

Hamlet was not considered a great recruit, Tylor for instance is much more highly regarded than Hamlet was. 

NT only has two starters returning but both are all conference level players in McBride and Bell.  Obviously, they are going to have to get a lot of help.  I think this team will be much deeper and only needs to hit on a couple of newcomers to be right back in the title conversation.  

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Actually it does help the perception, the conference POY came from NT.   Do you not think that is a positive to recruits?

As it apples to predictions, sure it is about who returns and who is added.  NT is not going to be picked over teams with similar or better last year records with the majority of their players returning. 

Hamlet was not considered a great recruit, Tylor for instance is much more highly regarded than Hamlet was. 

NT only has two starters returning but both are all conference level players in McBride and Bell.  Obviously, they are going to have to get a lot of help.  I think this team will be much deeper and only needs to hit on a couple of newcomers to be right back in the title conversation.  

I believe the 'perception' that meangreentexas was referring to was the perception of the people who ranked us so low. Do agree with the other things you mentioned. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, denton_days said:

I believe the 'perception' that meangreentexas was referring to was the perception of the people who ranked us so low. Do agree with the other things you mentioned. 

Correct.   I'm talking about NT losing the conference POY when considering where to rank UNT in a list of ~350 schools.  NT also loses key cogs in Simmons & Reese.
Of course I agree that producing a conference POY should help in recruiting, but that's a different conversation.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I think you may be greatly underestimating the impact of chemistry.   Zach Simmons was an experienced senior in THIS system, and James Reese, and Hamlet had played hundreds (if not thousands) of minutes on the floor with the other players.   That team was battle tested together.  

Could this year's team be as good or better?   Sure.  Am I walking into this season with that as the expectation?  Not yet.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1