Pros & Cons of the CUSA/AAC Realignment

shaft

17 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Wow!  That would be a shock.  They’d be really stupid to turn that offer down if true. TCU had just parlayed their time in MWC to a big12 invite.  Why wouldn’t they want to try & do the same?  Crazy Roadrunners.

Thanks for chiming in & I look forward to hearing more from you.

IMO, and I think it’s shared by many here, UNT would be a fine add to the MWC because we have just about everything going well for us. Our b-ball team just won a tournament game, and all of our Olympic sports are very good!  We’re positioned to do even more… sadly, we just happen to suck at football in this critical juncture!  Our HC is one of the top paid in all of G5, so we believe this problem could be fixed rapidly with a good hire.

Yall must be so proud of this years NFL MVP, Josh Allen.  He’s incredible!

TCU does not equal UTSA. TCU has been playing football for like 125 years and were in the Southwest Conference when it was a big deal. UTSA has been playing for 10 years and have only been FBS for 8 years. Simply joining the MWC doesn’t make you the next TCU.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

TCU does not equal UTSA. TCU has been playing football for like 125 years and were in the Southwest Conference when it was a big deal. UTSA has been playing for 10 years and have only been FBS for 8 years. Simply joining the MWC doesn’t make you the next TCU.

Oh, I know, but them turning down the opportunity to even try was really stupid, if true.  
Heck, UCF hasn’t been playing very long & were constant ‘bottom 10’ fixtures for most of their time in FBS, yet they just got themselves into the big12!

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Oh, I know, but them turning down the opportunity to even try was really stupid, if true.  
Heck, UCF hasn’t been playing very long & were constant ‘bottom 10’ fixtures for most of their time in FBS, yet they just got themselves into the big12!

UTSA may not have believed they had the funding at the time needed to travel in all men’s and women’s sports to the west coast. It goes beyond just football even though that is the lense most of us see conference affiliation through.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Billings said:

I have always thought the WAC or MWC was better with a Texas presence like UTEP or TCU.    The WAC 16 went overboard and had too much concentration in Texas making divisions difficult to achieve. I do support an expansion of 1-2 teams in Texas.  Partly to help balance the conference and partly as a buffer if Boise and another school leaves..

I know little about UNT at this point and that is why I joined to listen and see your viewpoints.  I know UTSA was briefly courted by the MWC a few years ago but they turned the MWC down was the thought at the time.  

Welcome Billings, 

I have kept close tabs on the MWC board, from what I saw there is a good number of posters there would be ok with UNT. Others don't believe we would raise the payout (which is likely true) and see no need to expand. I was surprised that some thought we wouldn't move, thinking why we wouldn't just choose the AAC. UNT has no clear path to the AAC as long as SMU is there, and honestly once the departing AAC teams leave the MWC will be the top G5 conference. 

I see UNT's invitation as a pretty far off possibility, but I hope it happens. Cheers 🍻

• Upvote 5

I'm glad to see 6 posts could stay on topic.

Pros:  Regional plan dramatically lowers travel costs of all sports.  This is basically the CUSA we were dying to get into back in 2005.  Higher attendance, these are the regional rivals we had the best attendance with.  This is our core recruiting base.  Single time zone is better for our limited TV audience.   Bi-annual trips to fun, drivable cities New Orleans & Memphis. 

Cons: Regional draws less national media attention.  Overall less eyes balls on the conference (but as the ratings show us, its not like anyone is really watching AAC or CUSA games now).

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, shaft said:

I'm glad to see 6 posts could stay on topic.

Pros:  Regional plan dramatically lowers travel costs of all sports.  This is basically the CUSA we were dying to get into back in 2005.  Higher attendance, these are the regional rivals we had the best attendance with.  This is our core recruiting base.  Single time zone is better for our limited TV audience.   Bi-annual trips to fun, drivable cities New Orleans & Memphis. 

Cons: Regional draws less national media attention.  Overall less eyes balls on the conference (but as the ratings show us, its not like anyone is really watching AAC or CUSA games now).

You don’t think we are gonna be in a conference with Memphis and Tulane, right?

• Oh Boy! 1

Who would have thought the regionalization proposal was actually a smoke screen to have expansion talks with the AAC?  I really though the power that be, knew we weren't getting a MWC or AAC invite, so they were pitching regionalization as a hail marry.  Instead regionalization was political cover to the rest of CUSA and the various schools' boards to say we tried before leaving for the AAC.

12 minutes ago, shaft said:

Who would have thought the regionalization proposal was actually a smoke screen to have expansion talks with the AAC?  I really though the power that be, knew we weren't getting a MWC or AAC invite, so they were pitching regionalization as a hail marry.  Instead regionalization was political cover to the rest of CUSA and the various schools' boards to say we tried before leaving for the AAC.

62f0712a72c390de8a20366e01982f9a_w200.gi

AAC was always in the driver's seat to take on who they want, instead of being forced to completely re-engineer conferences with a bunch of schools they don't have any interest in.

• Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

62f0712a72c390de8a20366e01982f9a_w200.gi

The guy screaming about the MWC doesn't get to be the one who said "I told you so" about the AAC.

Also seeing how the only difference in the regionalization model west vs the new AAC west is the exclusion of UTEP, it's not like there was some long list of unwanted CUSA schools, just the Mountain Time Zone outlier.

Edited by shaft

37 minutes ago, shaft said:

The guy screaming about the MWC doesn't get to be the one who said "I told you so" about the AAC.

Also seeing how the only difference in the regionalization model west vs the new AAC west is the exclusion of UTEP, it's not like there was some long list of unwanted CUSA schools, just the Mountain Time Zone outlier.

Oh now Shaft, I love you, but let's not get it twisted again.  The truth is... I told you so.
Just because I'd RATHER have the opportunity to join the MWC, doesn't mean I didn't see the "merger" idea as a total farce & that the AAC could do what they just did.     

Heck, here I am saying it in your own thread:

And are you just going to ignore the entire Eastern part of that proposed "merger"?

Now, let's move on.
giphy.gif?w=640

• Downvote 1