Neal Smatresk isn’t leaving C-USA

Jonnyeagle

35 minutes ago, shaft said:

There is also no reason to assume we would be added to the AAC.  Why add a team inside the same market as SMU?  It's seems like they would take RICE and UTSA over UNT.  RICE keeps a footprint in Houston and would be preferred by the ACC private schools.  UTSA brings a new market and doesn't have SMU working against them.

The AAC's concern at this point is adding the 2-4 (8?) strongest all around programs, not ensuring they cover media market X. There is no combination of schools they can add to the conference that will offset their losses. The best they can do is position themselves for the next negotiation several years down the road. UTSA is not a strong candidate, and honestly neither is Rice. Where Rice may get a pass is in the "who you know" department, but that didn't work out real well for them in 2013 or 2014.

I'm not saying we go to the AAC, but I am saying that SMU being in the AAC does not have the same impact it did 50 years ago or even 7 years ago. 

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, ColoradoEagle said:

The AAC's concern at this point is adding the 2-4 (8?) strongest all around programs, not ensuring they cover media market X. There is no combination of schools they can add to the conference that will offset their losses. The best they can do is position themselves for the next negotiation several years down the road. UTSA is not a strong candidate, and honestly neither is Rice. Where Rice may get a pass is in the "who you know" department, but that didn't work out real well for them in 2013 or 2014.

I'm not saying we go to the AAC, but I am saying that SMU being in the AAC does not have the same impact it did 50 years ago or even 7 years ago. 

My only worry about SMU is that they can get their private school buddies to vote with them. 
Even with a voting block of 3, they'd need more help, and I bet NT would have friends in the other directional schools, East Carolina & South Florida.  The rest of the schools probably would be on board as well unless SMU's argument sways them.   Being large public schools, they're more like us than SMU.   Plus, we have Wichita St. scheduled this season in b-ball, so I bet they'd be happy with us joining for b-ball as well.

2 hours ago, shaft said:

Good.  We haven't been invited to go anywhere.

The same dozen posters keep writing about the MWC like they have extended an invitation.  Yet, there are no sourced articles out there, that says the MWC is even expanding.

There is also no reason to assume we would be added to the AAC.  Why add a team inside the same market as SMU?  It's seems like they would take RICE and UTSA over UNT.  RICE keeps a footprint in Houston and would be preferred by the ACC private schools.  UTSA brings a new market and doesn't have SMU working against them.

UTSA can’t buy a roof for their practice facility how are the ever going to be able to afford the fees? You can talk about the football record and location, but it doesn’t matter when can’t afford to move.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Wag Tag said:

UTSA can’t buy a roof for their practice facility how are the ever going to be able to afford the fees? You can talk about the football record and location, but it doesn’t matter when can’t afford to move.

I read that about the roof on the UTSA fan forum.  

I also never knew “the UT Board of Regents in Austin” have much more say on budgetary matters for UTSA than you’d ever believe.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

I read that about the roof on the UTSA fan forum.  

I also never knew “the UT Board of Regents in Austin” have much more say on budgetary matters for UTSA than you’d ever believe.  

From what I can find their athletic budget is around $15m, that is ULM territory. We are more than double that number.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, wardly said:

That we lead the our conference in' athletic conference index" yet UTSA seems to be the bell of the ball.

People see "San Antonio" and think possibilities. When they dig a little deeper it gets murky. It comes down to how much they value the SA market. I think as fans we get more caught up in the "hot" programs (what hap if "X" leaves) whereas hopefully the Presidents are digging deeper.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

People see "San Antonio" and think possibilities. When they dig a little deeper it gets murky. It comes down to how much they value the SA market. I think as fans we get more caught up in the "hot" programs (what hap if "X" leaves) whereas hopefully the Presidents are digging deeper.

👍👍

Another oversight is how close DFW & Alliance Airports are to Denton & UNT as compared to other places in Dallas & Fort Worth.  

Wishlist: I wish there was a major hotel inside the Mean Green Village as was discussed a few years ago. 

🙄More on my wishlist:  A kick-off return artist with world class speed like TAMU’s Devin Achane. (Now watching a replay of the UA/TAMU game of last Saturday). 

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Eye Roll 2

8 minutes ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

The contents of the letter are better suited for phone call(s). The letter seems like it is more for documentation purposes for possible use later, but the question is, for what.

It's the opposite.  By going public it forces the topic, instead of allowing Aresco to try to sweep it under the rug.  My going public it forces the different school presidents to have these conversations with boards and ADs.  By bringing in consultants who were commissioners of larger consultants it forces a pause for consideration.  

It's no coincidence that just the week before this letter is sent, Temple's president is on the record talking about travel costs and limits to conference realignment.  

Edited by shaft
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, shaft said:

It's the opposite.  By going public it forces the topic, instead of allowing Aresco to try to sweep it under the rug.  My going public it forces the different school presidents to have these conversations with boards and ADs.  By bringing in consultants who were commissioners of larger consultants it forces a pause for consideration.  

It's no coincidence that just the week before this letter is sent, Temple's president is on the record talking about travel costs and limits to conference realignment.  

My man, this letter is not ‘forcing’ anything.  Why would it?   CUSA does not have that kind of leverage.

And Arresco isn’t sweeping anything under the rug.  He doesn’t have to.  He is, most likely, laughing along with the other AAC University Presidents, and ignoring the overture.  Huge difference.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

12 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

My man, this letter is not ‘forcing’ anything.  Why would it?   CUSA does not have that kind of leverage.

And Arresco isn’t sweeping anything under the rug.  He doesn’t have to.  He is, most likely, laughing along with the other AAC University Presidents, and ignoring the overture.  Huge difference.

As he should…these AAC schools don’t want to be associated with us, much less ULM or UTEP or Georgia State…

• Haha 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 3

• 1 month later...