DRC: Details surrounding the domestic dispute that led to Deonte Simpson's dismissal obtained by the DRC

Brett Vito

2 hours ago, jtm0097 said:

I hope the girlfriend is doing ok.

What a dumbass he js. Just screwed himself forever. Good luck with life after football moron. 

Not a ton of details given, though it certainly sounds bad. In any event I fully believe people willing to reflect on what happened and improve themselves are worthy of another chance. This doesn’t have to define the rest of his life. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Not a ton of details given, though it certainly sounds bad. In any event I fully believe people willing to reflect on what happened and improve themselves are worthy of another chance. This doesn’t have to define the rest of his life. 

"Officers determined that Simpson struck a female he was in a dating relationship with causing bodily injury, Beckwith said. The woman was taken to a local hospital with multiple unspecified injuries that were non-life threatening, according to Beckwith."

This will show up on a background check. I hope he learns from this and regrets his actions. However with that being said, Joe Mixon and Kareem Hunt are millionaires and still playing in the NFL. Good riddance.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

"Officers determined that Simpson struck a female he was in a dating relationship with causing bodily injury, Beckwith said. The woman was taken to a local hospital with multiple unspecified injuries that were non-life threatening, according to Beckwith."

This will show up on a background check. I hope he learns from this and regrets his actions. However with that being said, Joe Mixon and Kareem Hunt are millionaires and still playing in the NFL. Good riddance.

I was not defending his actions at all. My point was about second chances in life, generally. 

• Upvote 5

These types of cases are not like your petty weed charges.  The START as a Class A Misdemeanor, and go up.  If he choked her, its an automatic felony.  The fact that she went to the hospital, means there were obvious injuries.  And if there is any evidence that there was domestic violence, its an automatic arrest.  I hope he can straighten his life out, but as far s this case goes, he's probably screwed.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

9 hours ago, Venson said:

That was a pretty quick dismissal. Usually a team says they want to gather all the facts first before they make a decision. For him to be dismissed within two hours of being arrested, makes me think he has already exhibited questionable behavior in the past and that they believed he was capable of what he is being charged with. What are your thoughts?

He beat his girlfriend so badly he put her in the hospital. I'm good on "gathering all the facts" regardless of if he's been a choirboy or not. See ya. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

If you are insinuating that this is Seth’s fault when he absolutely did the right thing throwing this kid off the team immediately, you’ve gone off the deep end.

This was before the posts about him hitting his girlfriend, and I think Seth did the perfect thing on kicking him off.

Edited by NorthTexasSportsNetwork
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

• Brett Vito changed the title to DRC: Details surrounding the domestic dispute that led to Deonte Simpson's dismissal obtained by the DRC

Trashname:
Thanks for opening up and offering up. You could have taken your experience down a very dark and different path and you are to be applauded for making the hard choices. To be sure, all situations are different but yours is inspiring.  All the best to you and your wife.

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, Trashname said:

Alright, so I created a burner account/name to post this because I think it's very important in regards to not just this situation, but a LOT of situations similar to this. We need to address abuse, mental health, and how to recover on a topic like this.

I'm a well known poster on this board, several years here, adamant Mean Green guy (Even if I'm not the biggest SL fan, still a Green fan).

Domestic violence and you: a dissertation regarding what can and could be

As a victim (and yes, men can be victims) of domestic violence, this is something that is very difficult to put into words. I sent my wife to jail about 1 1/2 years ago because she repeatedly hit me, attacked me with a knife (yes, very literally), and threatened my life. Sure, I figured I could stand up to it and take the hits. Not the point, NO ONE should deal with this, no matter how bad a husband you may be accused to be, or actually be.

What's the point though? One bad day.

We had one bad day. That's what it takes. We had just had a miscarriage. pandemic forced me to work from home, in each others bubbles 24/7. we had been drinking maybe too much. Whatever the combination, we had one bad day. It's not an excuse, just a bunch of reasons.

I believe justice should be swift, harsh, and punishing. You never want to repeat that. If something bad happens, you end it NOW!

So, what remains now? Well, we are now trying for our third kid (after another miscarriage). We don't drink. Over a year in marriage and mental health counseling.  We are probably more in love than we have been in nearly 10 years. Things are better and can be. We are not the normal result.

This doesn't have to end your life. But if you don't change from it, it can and maybe should. I'm not saying we should be quick to forgive, to reconcile, or anything. Be hard, be harsh. But recognize that we as humans don't have to stay that way.

So how does this all apply? Simpson should (and will be) punished. But he needs to be given a chance to repair, reconcile, and rehabilitate IF he's willing to put in an insane amount of work. It's not black and white. I wish it were, but there's a million shades of gray. So before we judge so swiftly, just remember:

It takes just one bad day. Not acceptable, but I truly hope he see's this as an eye opener to repair and improve himself, and move forward with a better life.

(Happy to discuss more directly with anyone who likes)

Thank you for sharing. I hope your journey continues to head in the right direction.

12 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I’m pretty sure the damage to his girlfriend’s face was the reason. Why on earth would they say, he beat the shit out of his girlfriend but lets gather more facts?

I wasn't saying that he should not have been dismissed. I was saying that it is rare for a team to respond like that within two hours of an arrest and charge. Maybe they had more information than what the paper reported. Hell, Ray Rice knocked his girlfriend out on video and it took the Ravens a few days to decide on him. The article said officers determined that he struck her not that they know for a fact. The courts will make that determination of guilt or innocence. I believe SL made the right decision. I was just surprised at the speed in which he acted and the news was already out that he was dismissed. The arrest was made sometime after 8 PM and sometime after 10 PM the news had broken. That leads me to believe that the decision was made within the hour. For it to happen that fast leads me to believe that he had prior behavior problems and they didn't need to or care to wait on more information. 

• Upvote 1

Trashname, My first time posting on here but your story brought me out of my read only mode. I truly am touched by your story. I've been a coach for 30 years and have seen a few of my ex players fall into the "One bad day" situation. I have kept up with many of them over the years. I am glad to say some learned, grew, and moved forward in a positive direction. Sadly some didn't. As a coach my goal is to reach and develop them not only as football players but more importantly as young men. I hope that when my day is done I can look back and say I had a positive role in their lives.

I hope you and your wife continue to grow, cherish and love each other.

Edited by fbcoach
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2