Mountain West or AAC?

Tom McKrackin

Mountain West or AAC?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Mountain West or AAC?

34 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Again, your heart’s desire is just as likely (unlikely?) to happen as mine.  Except mine has us winning in a way that gets UNT more interest & sets us up for future success at a higher level.  Join me in wishing the best for our alma mater, not just what’s comfortable.

My heart's desire was to replace Baylor in the original Big 12.

The regional proposal just makes the most most sense.  Let's start new thread on just the pros and cons of the regionalization model as compared to the hypothetical F-M-K this thread has turned into.

Edited by shaft
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, shaft said:

My heart's desire was to replace Baylor in the original Big 12.

The regional proposal just makes the most most sense.  Let's start new thread on just the pros and cons of the regionalization model as compared to the hypothetical F-M-K this thread has turned into.

Did you really think we would replace Baylor in the original Big 12 or just hope that this would happen?

• Upvote 1

I can't even think of a scenario where UNT replaces Baylor.

Look we need to realize that there are steps to going P5.

MAC, SBC, CUSA---> AAC, MWC---> P5

There is zero chance of skipping a step. One of the main reasons I want to go to the MWC is we need to get away from SMU, no they can't keep us out but they are a roadblock if we have similar or lesser results.  The scenario I hate is: SMU is passed over for the Big12, we have no chance of getting in to the AAC. Then Big 12 expands or PAC 12 expands and takes Tech/OKST/Baylor/TCU and SMU moves to the Big12. We go to the AAC.  (this could take years or even decades) Now what? We wait decades to get in to a P5? 

Let's forge our own path instead. MWC gives us a clearer path to get to a P5 slot in the future. Pac 12 almost took Houston, so who's to say if we move to the MWC and do great we wouldn't be considered. At the very worst, being in the MWC gives you a shot at a NY6 bowl slot, something  CUSA will never do. 

• Upvote 7

47 minutes ago, wardly said:

After the AAC expands and the MWC sits on their hands our choices will be CUSA or SBC.

I honestly think NT fits well in both.   We'd be a fantastic add to either.   

If Aresco & the AAC were ruthless, they would poach the best of C-USA (NT, Rice/LATech, UAB & FAU), and deliver a letter to Judy saying she should send a new petition to the SBC.  Include a nail for C-USA's coffin.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, mustangfan said:

Sounds to me like it will come down to whomever offers first.  NT is not in a position to say no to either.

I agree.    Fingers crossed it's MWC, but definitely hope to keep playing y'all yearly!

Who'da thunkit?   There is a calculated race being run as we type this between the AAC & MWC for little 'ol North Texas!!

41 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

I can't even think of a scenario where UNT replaces Baylor.

Look we need to realize that there are steps to going P5.

MAC, SBC, CUSA---> AAC, MWC---> P5

There is zero chance of skipping a step. One of the main reasons I want to go to the MWC is we need to get away from SMU, no they can't keep us out but they are a roadblock if we have similar or lesser results.  The scenario I hate is: SMU is passed over for the Big12, we have no chance of getting in to the AAC. Then Big 12 expands or PAC 12 expands and takes Tech/OKST/Baylor/TCU and SMU moves to the Big12. We go to the AAC.  (this could take years or even decades) Now what? We wait decades to get in to a P5? 

Let's forge our own path instead. MWC gives us a clearer path to get to a P5 slot in the future. Pac 12 almost took Houston, so who's to say if we move to the MWC and do great we wouldn't be considered. At the very worst, being in the MWC gives you a shot at a NY6 bowl slot, something  CUSA will never do. 

I wonder what is a realistic time in years/decades we will be in a P5 conference... What do yall think?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Last I read, MWC was going to wait for Big 12 expansion, but that may have been a rumor. If that's the case though, I'd bet AAC would pick us up first. Or that could force MWC to make a snag quicker. Who knows! But we're the prettiest girl in the ballroom right now.

• Skeptical Eagle 1

36 minutes ago, Victorygreen04 said:

I wonder what is a realistic time in years/decades we will be in a P5 conference... What do yall think?

I don’t believe it’s going to happen. But I also don’t believe that a good portion of the P5 remains “P” in the future. 

There’s an alternate timeline where we      don’t drop down or we support football/athletics appropriately when we come back up and/or don’t suck for 20+ years and absolutely we could have been there. But it isn’t happening now. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, MeanGreenAnonymous said:

The MWC heard and rejected a pitch by UNT last week.

I had a feeling this is what occurred.

So UTSA can't afford to go to the AAC, we can't get the MWC to invite us, and SMU can't get the Big XII to invite them...

Looks like status quo is the mode of operation for all of us going forward.

4 minutes ago, denton_days said:

Last I read, MWC was going to wait for Big 12 expansion, but that may have been a rumor. If that's the case though, I'd bet AAC would pick us up first. Or that could force MWC to make a snag quicker. Who knows! But we're the prettiest girl in the ballroom right now.

Well, the girls always look prettier at closing time. Guys, why would the AAC pick up up when they have SMU in the same market?  I would think they are going to try to fill as close as possible the markets they were vacated by the programs they have lost. To me that would be UTSA or Rice in Texas, FAU in Florida, someone in the Midwest for Cincy, and North for U Conn. I would take UAB because they are best program available in either CUSA or SBC. Also, what if they decide to go BIG and double in size taking 8 of the combined 24 CUSA/ SBC schools leaving 16 behind? Until the AAC pulls the trigger, hopefully soon, then we really don't know what we will have left to work with. Finally, I am really disappointed that the MWC has chosen to sit this one out while waiting on the BIG 12 to make the next move. If there ever was a time for them to be pro active instead of reactive it is now. Surprisingly, depending upon the number of teams poached by the AAC ,Liberty and NMSU might actually find a conference.

4 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I had a feeling this is what occurred.

So UTSA can't afford to go to the AAC, we can't get the MWC to invite us, and SMU can't get the Big XII to invite them...

Looks like status quo is the mode of operation for all of us going forward.

No pitch has been made. One could later be made if Thompson indicates they want to do something now with new members. The 4 who stayed & turned down the AAC slowed that process.  (When all read that any conference’s staff will be in Denton for a tour of facilities will make all this real).      
💰•••Some schools out there cannot even afford the entrance & exit fees of some of these conferences. 

Fact is, Commish’ Thompson is very favorable to North Texas.  ••• Our present facilities (with more to come) will get us in some conference now or in the “not so distant” future.  Tier 1 academic rating will not hurt, either.  We shouldn’t even worry about it. Our projectory is north in almost every conference check list 

Hint: MeanGreenAnonymous has 2 posts. Probably someone from San Antonio or San Marcos.  

••• This bowl game in the video actually enhances our situation out West & the fact almost 40,000 Mean Green fans attended it against a Mountain West Conference opponent.  

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, MeanGreenAnonymous said:

The MWC heard and rejected a pitch by UNT last week.

Don’t doubt it, but that doesn’t mean anything, tbh. I just pitched to my wife that we should get Chinese takeout instead of eating at home tonight and she rejected it. We’re going to get takeout tomorrow instead. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Victorygreen04 said:

The year that we operate in a vacuum and all other G5 schools forget that they want to be P5 schools. Many on here like to pretend that we are the only school making investments in the athletic program and that simply isn’t true.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, denton_days said:

I agree that the AAC will act first. Aresco said this week to expect teams to be invited within 3 weeks to a month.

It would be a mistake for the MWC to wait until the Big 12 expands again. By then, they would be stuck with bringing up FCS programs. 

https://www.smudailycampus.com/sports/aac-commissioner-mike-aresco-responds-to-c-usa-letter-realignment-and-murky-future-for-conference

• Upvote 1