DRC: C-USA officials reach out to AAC to pitch realignment proposal

Brett Vito

It's a simple choice for AAC members, would you rather be in a depleted AAC or a new regional conference?

West: SMU, North Texas, Rice, UTEP, Southern Miss, Tulane, Tulsa, Louisiana Tech, Wichita State, UAB, Memphis and UTSA.

East:  East Carolina, Charlotte, Old Dominion, Temple, Marshall, FAU, FIU, South Florida, Middle Tennessee, Western Kentucky and two potential new additions (probably GA State and App State)

Edited by shaft
  • Upvote 5
  • Sad 1

ECU and Temple might go for it in the East, but SMU,Tulane, Tulas and Memphis from the AAC are going to be a hard sell. I just can't see what's in it for the AAC. They can have their pick of any CUSA and SBC program and just replace the 4 programs they have lost [ I am including U. Conn] . If it were me I would just wait until the AAC is thru poaching and then the SBC and CUSA should be forced to the table. Every G5 school including Baylor College of Dentistry has been mentioned as possible AAC replacements, with UAB being the only one I would bet money on. Liberty is a dark horse to land in one of the three conferences in play.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, wardly said:

I just can't see what's in it for the AAC. They can have their pick of any CUSA and SBC program and just replace the 4 programs they have lost [ I am including U. Conn] . 

Because a regional conference makes sense.  The AAC is going to take a media rights hit and adding 4 teams won't make a big enough difference.  So it makes more sense to regionalize, get similar money to what the new AAC was going to get and significantly lower your travel cost and possibly increase your home attendance numbers.

Edited by shaft
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, shaft said:

Because a regional conference makes sense.  The AAC is going to take a media right hit and adding 4 teams won't make a big enough difference.  So it makes more sense to regionalize, get similar money to what the new AAC was going to get and significantly lower your travel cost and possibly increase your home attendance numbers.

giphy.gif

• Upvote 2

I bet right now this is a tug-of-war between various interests, but ultimately the school’s presidents have the final say. The commissioner and the ADs work for them, they work for the chancellors, and so on. The presidents likely favor regionalization. From an academic standpoint, it means less travel for student-athletes. From a financial standpoint, the media rights likely don’t offset the added travel expenses anymore.

For the athletic directors, they know that being in a perceived “superior” conference gives them a recruiting advantage. Also, for the AAC teams at least, they may still be hoping for a larger media deal than CUSA and to basically kill off any competitors for the guaranteed G5 spot in the playoffs. Aresco probably has the same thoughts as the AAC ADs and Judy is just trying to avoid going the way of the WAC if this gets out of hand. She has a fiduciary duty to all her members, and those left over will be in serious trouble if they don’t find a new home, especially if the AAC nabs 4-6 programs. 

This could get interesting. I don’t think it’s as far fetched as some people think, but it’s going to be a question of who wins out at the end of the day. If the CUSA presidents say they prefer this plan to going to the AAC, they may force their hand. The fact they are listening and haven’t already jumped ship is telling. 

As fans I think we should hope for regionalization, especially since this is with the AAC and not the Sun Belt. These regional rivalries would be a lot of fun with a few higher quality teams. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, shaft said:

Because a regional conference makes sense.  The AAC is going to take a media rights hit and adding 4 teams won't make a big enough difference.  So it makes more sense to regionalize, get similar money to what the new AAC was going to get and significantly lower your travel cost and possibly increase your home attendance numbers.

See, that is what concerns me. It makes sense, and when it comes to athletics, especially football, universities make some really dumb decisions.

• Upvote 3

I'm sure the AAC stuck their nose up at this....but really you have to wonder if they should. They're losing the programs that made them "P6" 

Temple and East Carolina are fine....as long as you can put Cincy and UCF next to them, but Cincy and UCF are gone. So you're left with Temple and East Carolina...and UAB?

Unfortunately I'm sure ego will squash this as it usually does but the AAC needs to take a look in the mirror.

• Upvote 2

I'd imagine that the AAC will bring over Army as football-only, which does bring value. I'd assume that getting them will help. So that's Army, Navy, Temple, East Carolina, South Florida, Tulane, SMU, Memphis, and Tulsa. Then, I think they go get UAB to get to 10. From there, I don't know who else they may want or will go after--MUTS, FAU, UTSA, and Rice are all possible. Let's say they get MUTS and FAU, which I think would fit in best out there. That's 12.

The question becomes what to do with the SBCUSA--that's Old Dominion, Marshall, Appy State, Coastal Carolina, Charlotte, Western Kentucky, Georgia State, Georgia Southern, Florida International, Troy, South Alabama, Louisiana, Arkansas State, ULM, La Tech, USM, Rice, UTSA, Texas State, UNT, and UTEP. That's 21 teams--add in Liberty and you get to 22. I'm sure that Sam Houston and James Madison are both ready to move up, so that gets you 24.

It needs to look like this:

UTEP, TX State, UTSA, Rice, UNT, La Tech, ULM, Louisiana, Sam Houston, Arkansas State, USM, and Troy.

South Alabama, FIU, Ga State, Ga Southern, Coastal Carolina, Charlotte, Appy State, ODU, James Madison, Liberty, Marshall, and WKU

• Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

I don't think Army is going anywhere. They were members of CUSA back in the day when it was a good conference and withdrew. Also, Sam Houston just joined the WAC . I have not read anywhere of their or James Madison's plans to move up in the immediate future, but I certainly have been wrong before. Next, UAB and FAU are probably going to the AAC if they can get their exit fee worked out, and at least two more from either CUSA and the SBC. If the combined conferences lose 4 programs they are left with 20, excluding Liberty to make two 10 team conferences . Somehow you are going to need to move ULM east to get La. Tech on board. I don't know where Liberty will end up, if any where. They have tried to buy their way into both conferences but were rebuffed . In summary I think, that all  the recent CUSA outreach to the AAC will accomplish is to get them off the pot and expand now which should force the SBC to be responsive to redistribution, and maybe that's enough. I do appreciate you thoughts, and adding 1AA programs certainly expands the gene pool, but we all are throwing spitballs on the wall, and that's why its fun.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

I bet right now this is a tug-of-war between various interests, but ultimately the school’s presidents have the final say. The commissioner and the ADs work for them, they work for the chancellors, and so on. The presidents likely favor regionalization. From an academic standpoint, it means less travel for student-athletes. From a financial standpoint, the media rights likely don’t offset the added travel expenses anymore.

For the athletic directors, they know that being in a perceived “superior” conference gives them a recruiting advantage. Also, for the AAC teams at least, they may still be hoping for a larger media deal than CUSA and to basically kill off any competitors for the guaranteed G5 spot in the playoffs. Aresco probably has the same thoughts as the AAC ADs and Judy is just trying to avoid going the way of the WAC if this gets out of hand. She has a fiduciary duty to all her members, and those left over will be in serious trouble if they don’t find a new home, especially if the AAC nabs 4-6 programs. 

This could get interesting. I don’t think it’s as far fetched as some people think, but it’s going to be a question of who wins out at the end of the day. If the CUSA presidents say they prefer this plan to going to the AAC, they may force their hand. The fact they are listening and haven’t already jumped ship is telling. 

As fans I think we should hope for regionalization, especially since this is with the AAC and not the Sun Belt. These regional rivalries would be a lot of fun with a few higher quality teams. 

I was following along until you said that. I realized then you were punking us and this isn't even the right depth chart.

• Haha 1