Conference Revenus

MCMLXXX

I think a better way to look at this is revenue per school. So our $450mm divided by 14 is roughly $32mm per school. Sun Belt, having only 10 schools, does better at $36mm per school. If my calculations are correct, we actually do the worst on a per school basis than any other conference. In the quality vs. quantity argument, quality seems to have won out once again. You can see why so many schools are eager to disconnect themselves from this conference.

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

I think a better way to look at this is revenue per school. So our $450mm divided by 14 is roughly $32mm per school. Sun Belt, having only 10 schools, does better at $36mm per school. If my calculations are correct, we actually do the worst on a per school basis than any other conference. In the quality vs. quantity argument, quality seems to have won out once again. You can see why so many schools are eager to disconnect themselves from this conference.

You are correct in part. The numbers are 2019 and the SBC numbers included NMSU so they had 11.

7 minutes ago, MCMLXXX said:

You are correct in part. The numbers are 2019 and the SBC numbers included NMSU so they had 11.

I thought about that but didn't check, thanks. In that case, Sun Belt still has a very slight edge, which is very disheartening given the fact we left the Belt to achieve a perceived promotion up the ranks of the college football ladder. That hasn't been the case in basically any metric. That's why we need to have a sense of urgency about abandoning ship.

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

I think this on highlights there are diminishing returns on adding teams over 12.  I also think geographically having teams in Texas and North Carolina isn’t beneficial for anyone.  It might be okay if you only had 12 and eliminated the Florida schools.   I have never liked having FAU or FIU in our conference.  Florida G5 schools are much likely to poach recruits from Texas than vice versa and they have deep talent in their state.  Adding upstart programs like UTSA, Charlotte, ODU only made sense on Potential.   UTSA should pan out as positive asset for a conference that includes other Texas teams.  But I am not sure MTSU, Western Kentucky, Marshall really look at having ODU and Charlotte in their conference as positive.  They aren’t likely to develop a rivalry the distance is too great and no history.  CUSA took on too much dead weight to be expanding pass 12.  It isn’t like we were adding Marshall or UAB as the 13th and 14th teams. 

• Upvote 2