October 10, 2015

Philip Ferguson

56 minutes ago, Philip Ferguson said:

Okay so exactly what has the program won since this then?  Yes he should have been fired but Seth should not have gotten a sweet extension without wining anything either.  One quality (but undersized) starting QB and getting blown out against the best programs in our conference when we have the opportunity to win the conference or at least get a conference championship game in Denton?  That isn’t far at all.  Mac has a bowl game win.  How many does Seth have?….. 🤷🏽‍♂️.  This low bar stuff we post sometimes is irritating.  No Conference Championships since Dickey and one bowl win since Dickey.  Lot of shiny new facilities and bigger paychecks for football coaches but still most seasons a laughing stock of FBS football in Texas without Excuses programs like Rice, UTSA, and UTEP have.  You want to cite improvements in other areas beside on the field that is valid. 

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, Mean Green Matt said:

I’m not sure we’ve really come THAT far honestly. I guess at least we don’t lose to FCS teams anymore. 

You better be happy SFA or Sam Houston are not on the schedule to test that theory.  Portland State was one the better FCS teams that year.  SFA and Sam Houston would bring fans with them making a loss all the more painful.

Edited by Mike Jackson

27 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

You better be happy SFA or Sam Houston are not on the schedule to test that theory.  Portland State was one the better FCS teams that year.  SFA and Sam Houston would bring fans with them making a loss all the more painful.

Sure, if you wanna use a team that was in the FCS national title game last season as the measuring stick we’d have some real worries about a loss.  

Then again, so would UTEP, Rice, Texas State, maybe Tech, and even everyone’s darling UTSA

• Eye Roll 1

44 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

The fact that we wouldn’t win that conference is something I try to ignore. 

There are watershed moments for me as a fan of this program, but this one is just so unbelievably bad that you cannot put into words how much this game was the low point for us and that it will never get lower than this. We will never schedule a no-name FCS school for Homecoming ever again, much less lose to them by 59 points. That is the floor of the deepest part of the Indian Ocean for us.

I remember thinking that losing to Tulsa at home 54-2 was a lowpoint..until I saw us lose at Rice 77-20, where they stopped trying to score in the entire 4th quarter. But neither of those games prepared me for what PSU did to us. I mean, we paid them to come here--as our only home OOC game that season (thanks RV)--then watched an entire team completely quit on the university and their fans, which led the UNT 17 to pay over $2 million dollars to get rid of Dan McCarney on the spot. IN actual dollars, that single day cost UNT over $3 million.

No matter how much things hurt right now--and there are a lot of reason for that pain to be real--we will never beat 2015. Can't happen. That was the worst moment on the worst team we have ever rolled out since we came back to 1-A in 1995. Not even close, either. So take solace in that fact, UNT Faithful. It could always be 2015 and we could have suffered the worst loss in modern college football history with a collection of QBs that were so bad, none of them were even near the locker room by the time Seth Littrell coached his first game.

• Upvote 3