My Coaching Wish List at the Moment

TheReal_jayD

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Yep, but he has turned down bigger programs to stay at LA-La and already makes $2 million per year.  He might not ever leave Cajun Country, base on his personality and this article.  If, and that is a big if, we could pull him away, you are correct in that it would be a home run hire.  I just don't see it happening.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32090749/why-methodical-football-coach-billy-napier-taking-louisiana

His reason for staying is complex. It's part upbringing. It's part that a roller-coaster start to his career caused him to rethink everything. Something special would have to come along for him to leave this place, which has an active swamp in the middle of campus and is surrounded by some of the best talent in the country.

He loves it, Napier says, "this little Cajun culture."

I wish we could find our Napier, but they are a rare find.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

3 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

What if we let Seth stay at a pay cut and rehired all of the assistants?  It would allow us to renovate the athletic center which would help in recruiting.  It also would allow us to save some more money for the next hire.

How about we hire better HC at a reduced salary, Keeler or Carthel, which could still be a significant raise for either, increase the salary pool for assistants a little and use the remainder as seed money for either the athletic center renovation or names on the backs of jerseys?

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

How about we hire better HC at a reduced salary, Keeler or Carthel, which could still be a significant raise for either, increase the salary pool for assistants a little and use the remainder as seed money for either the athletic center renovation or names on the backs of jerseys?

What if you could do the same thing with a proven P5, G5 winner with Texas ties?  Todd Graham makes $800k at Hawaii.Bring him in at $1.2 ( no state income taxes) with an $8m buyout.

• Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

13 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

What if you could do the same thing with a proven P5, G5 winner with Texas ties?  Todd Graham makes $800k at Hawaii.Bring him in at $1.2 ( no state income taxes) with an $8m buyout.

Have no doubt that Graham could come right in and change this place quickly.  Dude can recruit and wins.  My only issue is how do we keep him from jumping to the next gig.  A big buyout might solve this. My fear is that we will “settle” for a guy that is easier to “manage” for the AD.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

It is a gamble whether we keep or replace him. Regardless, I like your style. I’m very high on Carthel. He is a program builder, not just some jet setter hopping around. He builds for long term success rather than a quick 9-win season ticket to another job.

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

Not the guy I want as the face of our program. He doesn’t have the energy anymore and this type of hire screams Dan McCarney to me.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

20 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Not the guy I want as the face of our program. He doesn’t have the energy anymore and this type of hire screams Dan McCarney to me.

At the time of Mc hire you had a very excited fan base, because we were going from a HS coach to a guy that had experience as a P5 head coach and a P5 DC. This seemed to be a big jump for UNT. Then we hire Seth which was again very exciting with his OC experience and the type of offence he ran. Another big jump for UNT based off experience, local guy and salary. The next coach needs to be another big jump and we won't get that from a FCS coach.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

At the time of Mc hire you had a very excited fan base, because we were going from a HS coach to a guy that had experience as a P5 head coach and a P5 DC. This seemed to be a big jump for UNT. Then we hire Seth which was again very exciting with his OC experience and the type of offence he ran. Another big jump for UNT based off experience, local guy and salary. The next coach needs to be another big jump and we won't get that from a FCS coach.

Todd Graham does not excite the youth of today and there is nothing wrong with a FCS coach who has paid their dues. Outside of his time at Tulsa over a decade ago, Graham has had a pretty pedestrian career. He has Hawaii tied for dead last of the MWC in year 2. He sits at 4-6 overall (1-4 in conference) after going 5-4 last season. You know how Hawaii was doing before he arrived? 10-5 and tied for first in the MWC West. Rolovich got hired away for the effort by Wazzu. Graham would be an epic mistake. He is one of the very few coaches that would get me to turn my back on this program. That may be unpopular opinion but this guy is committed to himself and himself alone and I will not support a program that isn’t committed to the players.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 6
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Todd Graham does not excite the youth of today and there is nothing wrong with a FCS coach who has paid their dues. Outside of his time at Tulsa over a decade ago, Graham has had a pretty pedestrian career. He has Hawaii tied for dead last of the MWC in year 2. He sits at 4-6 overall (1-4 in conference) after going 5-4 last season. You know how Hawaii was doing before he arrived? 10-5 and tied for first in the MWC West. Rolovich got hired away for the effort by Wazzu. Graham would be an epic mistake. He is one of the very few coaches that would get me to turn my back on this program. That may be unpopular opinion but this guy is committed to himself and himself alone and I will not support a program that isn’t committed to the players.

I guess you never would of hired Sonny with his W-L or Grant with his ACU and Ark State move?  He has won over 60% of his games as has Briles. I know your the Briles supporter, because character matters? 

• Eye Roll 1

10 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

I guess you never would of hired Sonny with his W-L or Grant with his ACU and Ark State move?  He has won over 60% of his games as has Briles. I know your the Briles supporter, because character matters? 

One thing about Briles is that he never turned his back on his players, at times to a fault. Recruiting is about trust and building relationships. I have zero trust in Graham’s ability to do that. Any competing recruiter just has to point to comments by Pittsburg or Rice players after he abandoned them.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Glory to the Green said:

First position I looked up

13 hours ago, greenminer said:

I watched Neb play OSU and Neb is a a quarterback away from being a very good team.  Their QB struggled with accuracy and missed some wide open receivers.

He is throwing the other coaches under the bus to save his ass.

Edited by southsideguy
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

here is name that I never thought about and maybe for good reason.  John Grass former Jacksonville State football coach. 72-26 and was an offensive coordinator under Bill Clark.  Don't know a lot about him he resigned at JSU could not find the reason why.

Some people on Twitter are saying that fans and the BOR felt that he had reached his ceiling at JSU and wanted a change. Others are saying that it comes a day after they announced they were moving to CUSA and KC Keeler says he would rather play in the FCS Playoffs than win a "dull" CUSA Bowl game, so it has something to do with their move to C-USA. Let the speculation continue.  

• Thanks 1