My Coaching Wish List at the Moment

TheReal_jayD

On 12/13/2019 at 8:41 AM, Cerebus said:

MeToo movement, feminist ideas, equality... all incredibly important to the kids attending university right now.

Even the ones who don’t follow that thinking sure as hell don’t want to be seen as anti any of that.

Hire someone like Briles and all it would take is one group on campus to start tweeting and and then maybe the student side looks like the UAB game every Saturday for a year.

For the first time ever the administration is doing a great job of getting students to turn out. Those are our future donors, it would be so very old Denton to empty the revolver into our own foot because of this.

Wet pay enough now to hire a good coordinator without baggage.

This is nothing like Duke.  There are dozens of assaults.  Several of them have already lead to jail terms.  Shawn Oakman has been indicted, Tevin Elliot is serving 20 years, Sam Ukwuachu was convicted and jailed.  

There is a university wide problem, it's not just athletics.  However Briles was responsible for reporting things that came to him.  

Briles had a duty to report a GANG RAPE.  There is no record of him doing so.  Judicial Affairs is kinda picky about paperwork.   On top of that at least one coach and several administrators reported that Briles knew.    

He isn't a rapist, he isn't sexually assaulting someone, but he did fail to perform a duty that he was required to do.    No one is saying he should go to jail, but he was terminated for proper cause.

link to quote above

On 6/9/2016 at 10:42 AM, Cerebus said:

Sex Assault victim and accused player both say football staff knew of accusations.  Victim also claims that Briles son in law (Coach on Baylor staff) told her that Art knew of the situation.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2016/06/07/baylor-devin-chafin-assault-allegation-art-briles-aware

Baylor has announced full Pepper-Hamilton will not be released.  Baylor alumni association gathers pitchforks.

What a terrible situation.  

33 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

The difference between the two, is that the buck is supposed to stop with the HC, who can nip it in the bud if he has any nuts at all... because he's the decision-maker.   Everyone else lines up behind him.   The fact that Art was cool with all of it, and everyone else (including Bennett, & Bloesch) lined up behind him to keep the W's rolling in... doesn't reflect well on their characters, but again, they weren't the decision-makers.

Instead, Art kept the buck rolling up to his AD and washed his hands.   Spineless.   Not the guy I want leading my favorite team.

For real y'all...   
1.  It's UNT.  Do you think this hire would ever happen here?  The answer is no.
2.  Are there not a myriad of other qualified candidates?  The answer is yes.  Wren/Neal need to find the best of these.

So Bennett keeping the buck rolling up to Briles "to keep the Ws rolling in": That's OK and not spineless and it's ok for him to lead our players

Briles keeping the buck rolling up to the AD "to keep the Ws rolling in": That's not Ok and is spineless and it's not ok for him to lead our players

Got it

I'm not defending Briles (I don't have enough evidence to defend or accuse him...and neither does anyone else) and I agree with you, the hire will never happen and I also agree that there are other good coaching candidates out there.

What I can't stand is the public court of law. The piling on. What if Phil Bennett is telling the truth and it was a fraud and set up? Because It either was a set up or he is LYING. And why would the NCAA give Briles a pass when they could've nailed him and taken a moral high ground stance they're always being accused of avoiding for big programs. Briles could've been a perfect target to puff their chests out and say "we care about these victims" But they cleared him. Why? What's their incentive for clearing a guilty man accused of some fairly awful things? I can wrap my head around the NCAA giving an Alabama slaps on the wrist for recruiting but I can't letting Briles off the hook. Makes no sense.

Maybe he's not the devil everyone is accusing him of being? Maybe the investigation was a sham? Is that possible?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Show one single instance where those guys brought in a known rapist, defended a known rapist, or tried to shield a rapist from law enforcement.

No.
You can find the acceptance of guilt by the university and admission of Briles' failures here:

https://www.baylor.edu/thefacts/doc.php/266596.pdf

...In addition to broader University failings, Pepper found specific failings within both the football program and Athletics Department leadership, including a failure to identify and respond to a pattern of sexual violence by a football player, to take action in response to reports of a sexual assault by multiple football players, and to take action in response to a report of dating violence. Pepper’s findings also reflect significant concerns about the tone and culture within Baylor’s football program as it relates to accountability for all forms of athlete misconduct...

3 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

So Bennett keeping the buck rolling up to Briles "to keep the Ws rolling in": That's OK and not spineless and it's ok for him to lead our players

Briles keeping the buck rolling up to the AD "to keep the Ws rolling in": That's not Ok and is spineless and it's not ok for him to lead our players

No.   Neither are "OK", and Bennett is spineless.  He could have made a stand too.   He didn't.   His leader didn't either.   I'm not the hugest fan of Bennett being here.

I'm talking about a final authority on a football team.   THE LEADER.   This person has more of a responsibility to do what's right than anyone else under him....

Why the heck am I arguing this.      Done.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

The wheels have really fallen off on this thread.

Ok...back on topic (the Briles argument is moot anyway, no chance in hell he ever coaches here)

I'm leaning heavily toward HC experience this time. I think of it as "who would excite me enough to buy season tickets again"

An unproven assistant won't, I will be in a "show me first" frame of mind.

Some of the other candidates listed with successful head coaching experience would. Everything is here including top recruiting classes to be successful and I don't want a HC learning curve anymore. A HC with a successful HC track record comes in and I expect a HUGE turnaround in year 1. That will move the needle for me.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

I know we've talked ad nauseum about Harrell and him potentially returning, not being HC material etc.

This video popped up on my youtube the other day and it made me believe he could be a good head coach, the way he connects with guys, fires them up when they make a mistake. A lot of you naysayers say that he doesn't have the personality to be a HC, I'd say this video begs to differ

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

I know he's getting a ton of attention, as he does every year, but if Billy Napier gets passed over again this offseason by all of the open P5 jobs, you have to wonder if there's anything else he could possibly do at Louisiana to get a better job.  Poor guy.  
He may have to jump UP to an AAC/MWC school (or a school on their way to the AAC??) in order to be noticed...   And I don't think there would be a better way for America to say, "Whoa, UNT is serious!", than to hire the guy that everyone constantly pairing with P5 openings and has LALa ranked for the past 3 seasons.

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

12 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I know he's getting a ton of attention, as he does every year, but if Billy Napier gets passed over again this offseason by all of the open P5 jobs, you have to wonder if there's anything else he could possibly do at Louisiana to get a better job.  Poor guy.  
He may have to jump UP to an AAC/MWC school (or a school on their way to the AAC??) in order to be noticed...   And I don't think there would be a better way for America to say, "Whoa, UNT is serious!", than to hire the guy that everyone constantly pairing with P5 openings and has LALa ranked for the past 3 seasons.

Absolute home run hire. He could turn our program around in a heartbeat

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Seeing this and the turnout for that Thursday night Coastal Carolina game against Troy should open the eyes of the people that keep saying the Sun Belt will be better than the American. With what growth and fans?

Also, absolutely yes to Napier. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Seeing this and the turnout for that Thursday night Coastal Carolina game against Troy should open the eyes of the people that keep saying the Sun Belt will be better than the American. With what growth and fans?

Also, absolutely yes to Napier. 

I agree with Napier as well.  Also, the Belt is always bragging about their ESPN deal but the reason they got it and C-USA didn't want it was there were a lot of Wed and Thursday/Friday games.  Those types of games are attendance killers.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Tom McKrackin said:

I agree with Napier as well.  Also, the Belt is always bragging about their ESPN deal but the reason they got it and C-USA didn't want it was there were a lot of Wed and Thursday/Friday games.  Those types of games are attendance killers.

The only ones that can make that work are App State. But yeah, let's let Marshall, Southern Miss, etc. keep thinking they are joining the "better" conference.

15 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Absolute home run hire. He could turn our program around in a heartbeat

Yep, but he has turned down bigger programs to stay at LA-La and already makes $2 million per year.  He might not ever leave Cajun Country, base on his personality and this article.  If, and that is a big if, we could pull him away, you are correct in that it would be a home run hire.  I just don't see it happening.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32090749/why-methodical-football-coach-billy-napier-taking-louisiana

His reason for staying is complex. It's part upbringing. It's part that a roller-coaster start to his career caused him to rethink everything. Something special would have to come along for him to leave this place, which has an active swamp in the middle of campus and is surrounded by some of the best talent in the country.

He loves it, Napier says, "this little Cajun culture."

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1