My Coaching Wish List at the Moment

TheReal_jayD

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

Point is you can always hire great recruiters. A guy from Temple coaching in Texas?  He hires a Texas HS coach. McGuire!

Ruhle is Baptist, and his dad a Baptist preacher.  That carries a lot of weight in the homes of Texas recruits.  He only half needed a “Texas ties” guy.  He had the Jesus part nailed from birth.

Also...everyone do their homework on what “Texas ties” really means - almost nothing.

Since 1970, there has only been one national championship won by a Texas major:  the Longhorns in 2005.

The recruits today were in diapers and baby beds when that occurred, crapping themselves harder and oftener than a highly pre-season ranked Big Ten school or Notre Dame!

The majority of championships over the past three to four decades have been either SEC of ACC schools, and a great plethora by any of the three major Florida football factories.

You need speed, giant lines, and defense to win championships.  SEC and ACC have it in their home states, more than all of Texas combined.  

Heck, even OU has four titles since 1970, none with Texas QBs!  Two with Okie QB, one with Cali QB, and one with South Dakota QB.

Screw the obsession with “Texas ties.”  Get a coach who will hire assistants who can find gems all over the South and Southeast.

Art Briles and all the other Run and Shoot panty wastes like him can blow their wads in high schools and lower divisions, shining their “I Set An Offensive Record” Trophies while they watch SEC and ACC schools battles for the National Title Crystal Ball Trophy...(brought to you by Carl’s Jr.)!

Get a real coach who understands 100% of every facet of football, not sold out to offensive stats.  And, make sure he hires an assistant or two with “ties” into South Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, Tennessee, Louisiana, the Carolinas, etc. where championship players are born and bred!

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, CherokeeJim said:

Ruhle is Baptist, and his dad a Baptist preacher.  That carries a lot of weight in the homes of Texas recruits.  He only half needed a “Texas ties” guy.  He had the Jesus part nailed from birth.

Also...everyone do their homework on what “Texas ties” really means - almost nothing.

Since 1970, there has only been one national championship won by a Texas major:  the Longhorns in 2005.

The recruits today were in diapers and baby beds when that occurred, crapping themselves harder and oftener than a highly pre-season ranked Big Ten school or Notre Dame!

The majority of championships over the past three to four decades have been either SEC of ACC schools, and a great plethora by any of the three major Florida football factories.

You need speed, giant lines, and defense to win championships.  SEC and ACC have it in their home states, more than all of Texas combined.  

Heck, even OU has four titles since 1970, none with Texas QBs!  Two with Okie QB, one with Cali QB, and one with South Dakota QB.

Screw the obsession with “Texas ties.”  Get a coach who will hire assistants who can find gems all over the South and Southeast.

Art Briles and all the other Run and Shoot panty wastes like him can blow their wads in high schools and lower divisions, shining their “I Set An Offensive Record” Trophies while they watch SEC and ACC schools battles for the National Title Crystal Ball Trophy...(brought to you by Carl’s Jr.)!

Get a real coach who understands 100% of every facet of football, not sold out to offensive stats.  And, make sure he hires an assistant or two with “ties” into South Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, Tennessee, Louisiana, the Carolinas, etc. where championship players are born and bred!

Has there been a successful program in the state of Texas that wasn’t made up of predominately Texas HS players?

It’s not a bonus to have strong Texas ties. It’s a prerequisite. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

When this move is eventually made, will it be the last remaining RV hire* or do we still have some oly coaches that were hired by RV?  Will we once and for all be past the craptacular RV hires?

*not including Jalie

Football: Seth Littrell - December, 2015, about six months before Wren took over

Women's BBall: Jalie Mitchell - hired 2015

Womens' Soccer: John Hedlund - hired 1995

Tennis: Sujay Lama - 15 years

Men's Golf: Brad Stracke - hired 2008

Women's Golf: Michael Akers - May 2016, about one month before Wren started

Track - Carl Sheffield, 9th season in charge

Out of 12 teams, seven head coaches were hired before Wren started. 

Edited by NorthTexan95
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Football: Seth Littrell - December, 2015, about six months before Wren took over

Women's BBall: Jalie Mitchell - hired 2015

Womens' Soccer: John Hedlund - hired 1995

Tennis: Sujay Lama - 15 years

Men's Golf: Brad Stracke - hired 2008

Women's Golf: Michael Akers - May 2016, about one month before Wren started

Track - Carl Sheffield, 9th season in charge

Out of 12 teams, seven head coaches were hired before Wren started. 

Ok, I guess a lot of coaches still around from RV's reign of terror.  Maybe he was more of an oly sport coach hiring aficionado.  Key point being that Littrell was RV's last hire before Wren got here.

8 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

Ok, I guess a lot of coaches still around from RV's reign of terror.  Maybe he was more of an oly sport coach hiring aficionado.  Key point being that Littrell was RV's last hire before Wren got here.

Technically, Women's Golf coach Michael Akers was the last hire before Wren took over.  Not sure who made the call on that. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Y’all get a room.

Just gotta hope Art doesn’t turn a blind eye when Sam Ukwachu & Shawn Oakman barge in on you!

Oakman was found not guilty and now plays in the CFL.

https://247sports.com/Article/Baylor-football-Shawn-Oakman-not-guilty-rape-12960861

Chris Petersen told Briles that Ukwuachu had a rocky relationship with his girlfriend which led to depression and him being dismissed for missing practice and insubordination. There is no indication Petersen ever I formed Briles of Ukwuachu committing violence against women and Briles has said as much without Petersen refuting it. https://wacotrib.com/news/higher_education/art-briles-statement-on-sam-ukwuachu-transfer-to-baylor/article_0aff574a-485c-11e5-95a4-b39255f9fc07.html

It might be worth a chat with out current defensive coordinator to see what the missteps with Ukwuachu actually were since he was in charge of the defensive personnel and depth chart. Ot appears Ukwuachu never played a game for Baylor. https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2015/8/21/9185837/baylor-football-player-sam-ukwuachu

Briles also kicked Tevin Elliott off the team after discussing Elliott’s incident with Elliott and several days prior to his arrest, well before he was expelled from the university.

All of the accused above were  defensive players. Every. Single. One. You don’t think Phil Bennett knows exactly what Briles knew about each and every situation? You’d be a fool to think that. Why is it ok for us to accept Bennett (who is revered nationally) but not Briles who was the offensive guy? Because Bennett didn’t throw UTexas the double-bird when they wanted him to be their head coach? If Briles takes the Texas job in 2014 these news stories never see the light of day. Period.

12 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

https://247sports.com/Article/Baylor-football-Shawn-Oakman-not-guilty-rape-12960861

Chris Petersen told Briles that Ukwuachu had a rocky relationship with his girlfriend which led to depression and him being dismissed for missing practice and insubordination. There is no indication Petersen ever I formed Briles of Ukwuachu committing violence against women and Briles has said as much without Petersen refuting it. https://wacotrib.com/news/higher_education/art-briles-statement-on-sam-ukwuachu-transfer-to-baylor/article_0aff574a-485c-11e5-95a4-b39255f9fc07.html

It might be worth a chat with out current defensive coordinator to see what the missteps with Ukwuachu actually were since he was in charge of the defensive personnel and depth chart. Ot appears Ukwuachu never played a game for Baylor. https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2015/8/21/9185837/baylor-football-player-sam-ukwuachu

Briles also kicked Tevin Elliott off the team after discussing Elliott’s incident with Elliott and several days prior to his arrest, well before he was expelled from the university.

All of the accused above were  defensive players. Every. Single. One. You don’t think Phil Bennett knows exactly what Briles knew about each and every situation? You’d be a fool to think that. Why is it ok for us to accept Bennett (who is revered nationally) but not Briles who was the offensive guy? Because Bennett didn’t throw UTexas the double-bird when they wanted him to be their head coach? If Briles takes the Texas job in 2014 these news stories never see the light of day. Period.

Man, you don't have a daughter, do you?  
You can argue the girl accusing Oakman was lying (again, we wonder why women are afraid to speak out?), but I'm not sure why the jury in this case didn't believe the SANE's testimony, which was pretty iron-clad.

Let TXTech or some other stupid school take all that on.

How in the world did UTSA ever win anything after firing Frank Wilson and NOT hiring Art?   You guys make it sound impossible.  Their feat is truly incredible!

We can only hope there is more than 1 other coach out there not named Art Briles who is capable of winning.   Listening to y'all, I don't know that there is.

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Man, you don't have a daughter, do you?  
You can argue the girl accusing Oakman was lying (again, we wonder why women are afraid to speak out?), but I'm not sure why the jury in this case didn't believe the SANE's testimony, which was pretty iron-clad.

Let TXTech or some other stupid school take all that on.

How in the world did UTSA ever win anything after firing Frank Wilson and NOT hiring Art?   You guys make it sound impossible.  Their feat is truly incredible!

We can only hope there is more than 1 other coach out there not named Art Briles who is capable of winning.   Listening to y'all, I don't know that there is.

You know who has daughters? Art Briles and Phil Bennett. It is so easy to dismiss me as not having daughters so that voids my opinion because every accusation is ironclad. Why don’t you ask our CURRENT defensive coordinator his thoughts on the matter? He has a daughter so his opinion should count in your book.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Just now, Cr1028 said:

You know who has daughters? Art Briles and Phil Bennett. It is so easy to dismiss me as not having daughters so that voids my opinion because every accusation is ironclad. Why don’t you ask our CURRENT defensive coordinator his thoughts on the matter? He has a daughter so his opinion should count in your book.

Not what I was getting at.  Don't really care about 'voiding your opinion'.  Maybe one day you'll know.

Can't speak for those guys.  Maybe winning football games is a little more important to those guys than it should be?   I dunno.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

When compared to other bottom of the barrel G5 schools, it truly is incredible.

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Not what I was getting at.  Don't really care about 'voiding your opinion'.  Maybe one day you'll know.

Can't speak for those guys.  Maybe winning football games is a little more important to those guys than it should be?   I dunno.

I think his point is (at least one I’ve made in the past) how can you be up in arms about bringing Briles here and be ok with bringing Bennett here. Why the selective outrage? I didn’t hear ONE PEEP out of anyone when they hired the guy that RAN THE DEFENSE all these rapists were on. If Briles is guilty of covering his ears and going “la la la la la” then Phill Bennett did the exact same thing.  

I mean come on. This thing was a “fraud set up from the get-go”

That’s not my quote. That’s Phil Bennett’s quote. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24133988/former-baylor-dc-phil-bennett-addresses-sexual-assault-scandal

So is Phil Bennett a liar and scum bag? If you think Art Briles is then you think Phil Bennett is. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

Art Briles will never coach here...ever.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

High Horse GIFs | Tenor

At the time Art had to go and he did.  He had to bear some of the responsibility for the action of his players, and he has.  However, he was not the one that actually committed the crimes.  The people that were actually responsible were convicted.  The rest of his staff and AD have moved on to other jobs in college football.  Time for Art to do the same.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I think his point is (at least one I’ve made in the past) how can you be up in arms about bringing Briles here and be ok with bringing Bennett here. Why the selective outrage? I didn’t hear ONE PEEP out of anyone when they hired the guy that RAN THE DEFENSE all these rapists were on. If Briles is guilty of covering his ears and going “la la la la la” then Phill Bennett did the exact same thing.  

I mean come on. This thing was a “fraud set up from the get-go”

That’s not my quote. That’s Phil Bennett’s quote. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24133988/former-baylor-dc-phil-bennett-addresses-sexual-assault-scandal

So is Phil Bennett a liar and scum bag? If you think Art Briles is then you think Phil Bennett is. 

when-you-start-a-argument-with-a-hater_o

The difference between the two, is that the buck is supposed to stop with the HC, who can nip it in the bud if he has any nuts at all... because he's the decision-maker.   Everyone else lines up behind him.   The fact that Art was cool with all of it, and everyone else (including Bennett, & Bloesch) lined up behind him to keep the W's rolling in... doesn't reflect well on their characters, but again, they weren't the decision-makers.

Instead, Art kept the buck rolling up to his AD and washed his hands.   Spineless.   Not the guy I want leading my favorite team.

For real y'all...   
1.  It's UNT.  Do you think this hire would ever happen here?  The answer is no.
2.  Are there not a myriad of other qualified candidates?  The answer is yes.  Wren/Neal need to find the best of these.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Art Briles will never coach here...ever.

The NCAA basically cleared him, was he railroaded? Some say yes, some no. Is he shady? Possibly. No one really knows, they just aggressively take a side. But no one really knows. Having said all that, even if it came out that he did absolutely nothing wrong....at this point it doesn't matter. Public opinion is formed. I don't know if he's guilty or innocent to be honest. And no one else does either except for the parties involved.

But you are correct, Art Briles will never coach here. And I actually don't want him here just because of the bad publicity (earned or not).

It's a risk reward thing for me and I think there are other good coaches out there. It would be a beat down to have Art Briles at UNT. We're not equipped to for that level of scrutiny.

• Upvote 2

Art Briles will only be a head coach at some remote outpost where the media scrutiny is controllable or non-existent. Liberty is my guess, eventually. Could it be Lubbock? Maybe, but doubtful. But that's a place that him being hired could be possible because of its remoteness and lack of decent media coverage.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Show one single instance where those guys brought in a known rapist, defended a known rapist, or tried to shield a rapist from law enforcement.

• Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

The fact that Art was cool with all of it, and everyone else (including Bennett, & Bloesch) lined up behind him to keep the W's rolling in... doesn't reflect well on their characters, but again, they weren't the decision-makers.

Cool with what specifically?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

The NCAA basically cleared him, was he railroaded? Some say yes, some no. Is he shady? Possibly. No one really knows, they just aggressively take a side. But no one really knows. Having said all that, even if it came out that he did absolutely nothing wrong....at this point it doesn't matter. Public opinion is formed. I don't know if he's guilty or innocent to be honest. And no one else does either except for the parties involved.

But you are correct, Art Briles will never coach here. And I actually don't want him here just because of the bad publicity (earned or not).

It's a risk reward thing for me and I think there are other good coaches out there. It would be a beat down to have Art Briles at UNT. We're not equipped to for that level of scrutiny.

As they say, any publicity is good publicity.  I have mentioned previously, the least risky route is to go with Kendal as HC and allow him to bring in dad later.  Kendal has had 4 OC jobs since Baylor so people are getting hysterical when he is brought in.  Bennett is already here so UNT obviously does not have any issues with coaches that were at Baylor when the issues occurred.  Not sure why we would suddenly have an issue since the line has already been crossed.

• Upvote 1

On 10/26/2021 at 12:25 PM, MeanGreenTexan said:

Instead, Art kept the buck rolling up to his AD and washed his hands.   Spineless.   Not the guy I want leading my favorite team.

The AD who had to resign from Baylor and is now the AD at the school that beat us last week?
The same AD who hired a football coach (who went  10-1 last year) that was forced to resign from a SEC head coaching job because he used his university cell phone to call escort services? That AD? 

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2