My Coaching Wish List at the Moment

TheReal_jayD

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

The Rice fans I know refer to him as Toad Graham. He is a real greaseball, like a younger version of June Jones. Just say no. Your other two I have less problem with although there are others I’d prefer.

1) Rice has had 4 winning season since he left in 2006. So they might want to get the Toad on the phone.

2) Who are your other options you prefer?

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

1) Rice has had 4 winning season since he left in 2006. So they might want to get the Toad on the phone.

2) Who are your other options you prefer?

I’m not trying to argue my preferences over yours, I’m simply saying that Todd Graham would be a mistake. I have no problem with Neal Brown or Fuente.

• Upvote 3

"Texas ties" tells me nothing.  Do you have amazing relationships across most of the state? Did you speak at a THSCA convention but meet nobody? Did you have lunch with your coaching buddies at Marfa Senior High?

I wish the people would be more specific.

Edited by greenminer

1 minute ago, greenminer said:

"Texas ties" tells me nothing.  Do you have amazing relationships across most of the state? Did you speak at a THSCA convention but meet nobody? Did you have lunch with your coaching buddies at Marfa Senior High?

If you don’t have amazing relationships or didn’t meet anyone at THSCA and just had lunch with your Marfa coaching buddies I would say that is NOT Texas ties.

If you’ve successfully recruited Texas players and have relationships with Texas coaches I would say that  constitutes Texas ties. 

I believe Fuentes did that at TCU and Memphis. Todd Graham has done that. Bob Stoopes has done that. Kevin Sumlin has done that. Traylor has certainly done that. I would argue all those guys have “Texas ties”

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I’m not trying to argue my preferences over yours, I’m simply saying that Todd Graham would be a mistake. I have no problem with Neal Brown or Fuente.

I wasn't either. I was genuinely asking who your top targets were, I see people say they don't like certain targets. I really like to figure out everyone top target. There are options out there that still haven't been mentioned

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I wasn't either. I was genuinely asking who your top targets were, I see people say they don't like certain targets. I really like to figure out everyone top target. There are options out there that still haven't been mentioned

My top wishes have been bantered about here plenty of times and carry a high degree of risk/reward but are frowned upon by the majority of the fanbase. Both Fuente and Brown would be more palatable to the powers that be and the fanbase but if you really want to know, my top choices are either to take the PR gamble on Art Briles or take the D2-FCS-FBS jump gamble on Carthel.

We could get either for substantially under Littrell’s current salary, both are proven winners as head coaches, and we’d have the inside track on both.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

My top wishes have been bantered about here plenty of times and carry a high degree of risk/reward but are frowned upon by the majority of the fanbase. Both Fuente and Brown would be more palatable to the powers that be and the fanbase but if you really want to know, my top choices are either to take the PR gamble on Art Briles or take the D2-FCS-FBS jump gamble on Carthel.

We could get either for substantially under Littrell’s current salary, both are proven winners as head coaches, and we’d have the inside track on both.

Art is honestly top on my list. I haven't listed him because I don't think UNT has the cajones to make a hire like that. I think it will be a PR nightmare for about 3 months.  Just like it was a Mt. Vernon. Then after the games are played it goes to the back burner and he will just win a lot of games. One team will eventually pull the trigger on him. Or they will hire Kendal and get him as an Advisor. Either way the team will win games. I just don't think it will be UNT. I just hope it won't be SMU or UTSA that make the jump. But I will be here to tell the Briles haters I told you so.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Art is honestly top on my list. I haven't listed him because I don't think UNT has the cajones to make a hire like that. I think it will be a PR nightmare for about 3 months.  Just like it was a Mt. Vernon. Then after the games are played it goes to the back burner and he will just win a lot of games. One team will eventually pull the trigger on him. Or they will hire Kendal and get him as an Advisor. Either way the team will win games. I just don't think it will be UNT. I just hope it won't be SMU or UTSA that make the jump. But I will be here to tell the Briles haters I told you so.

Thanks man, it is nice to know I’m not all alone on an island. I agree with everything you said.

31 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Been my guy for a long time. Turned mt. Vernon hs into a good program too. They have been bad at football for a while before Briles. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Agreed.

I always thought Kendal was the way to go once he was ready, assuming he would quietly bring Art in as an analyst/consultant after the hire.  I don't think Kendal would cause near the stir as hiring Art directly as HC, but I have no issue with either.

• Upvote 1

On 10/10/2021 at 8:14 PM, BillySee58 said:

Passion can’t be understated. Feels like Littrell has been on auto pilot since he turned down K-State and got the big raise.

I just think Seth is a good OC (but over rated).  I don’t think it is a matter of passion, I think it is the skill set.  Being an OC is very different than being a head coach.  And each college you have navigate their unique culture to find the best assistants that will fit in and so well.  Some programs have enough resources to pay (which includes prestige) and retain assistant coaches we don’t.  I don’t think he is in cruise control at all.  Once his offense was installed he became a hot commodity, lost staff, and got more focused on the weaker parts of his team and the offense suffered.  A hard no on Art Briles anything big they do will put the NCAA microscope on us.  Go beat a big name brand like Arkansas with Art at the helm every sandwich with extra meat a Football Player receives will be audited.  I just think we need a HC with experience improving a G5 program.  And the OC and DC they bring in will be just as important.  We need some great talent evaluators.  I believe with really good talent and an efficient QBs you can keep your program above 0.500 in AAC for a good stretch.  Just keep getting to bowl games every year and play decently in them and the perception of the program changes.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, greenminer said:

"Texas ties" is the most overused phrase on this board when it comes to coaching. A great recruiter will be successful in any part of the country. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

"Texas ties" is the most overused phrase on this board when it comes to coaching. A great recruiter will be successful in any part of the country. 

I disagree.

Jeff Traylor, Chad Morris, Joey Mcguire are all a member of the Txhsfb fraternity. If you don't think they don't have a leg up in recruitiment of any high school kid in Texas you are mistaking. There is a reason Joey Mcguire was one of Rhule first hires at Baylor

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

I just think Seth is a good OC (but over rated).  I don’t think it is a matter of passion, I think it is the skill set.  Being an OC is very different than being a head coach.  And each college you have navigate their unique culture to find the best assistants that will fit in and so well.  Some programs have enough resources to pay (which includes prestige) and retain assistant coaches we don’t.  I don’t think he is in cruise control at all.  Once his offense was installed he became a hot commodity, lost staff, and got more focused on the weaker parts of his team and the offense suffered.  A hard no on Art Briles anything big they do will put the NCAA microscope on us.  Go beat a big name brand like Arkansas with Art at the helm every sandwich with extra meat a Football Player receives will be audited.  I just think we need a HC with experience improving a G5 program.  And the OC and DC they bring in will be just as important.  We need some great talent evaluators.  I believe with really good talent and an efficient QBs you can keep your program above 0.500 in AAC for a good stretch.  Just keep getting to bowl games every year and play decently in them and the perception of the program changes.

Since when has the NCAA shown any interest in enforcing rules?  McCaw was the root of the problem in Waco by being an enabler and refusing to put a stop to some of that nonsense before it got out of hand.  Briles would/should have a shorter leash going forward.  He has always operated in the gray area, but Baylor allowed him to get too far outside the lines and then they lost control.

If Briles were here and started beating P4 schools the only thing that would happen is he would get hired away by a P4 school.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

Point is you can always hire great recruiters. A guy from Temple coaching in Texas?  He hires a Texas HS coach. McGuire!

28 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I disagree.

Jeff Traylor, Chad Morris, Joey Mcguire are all a member of the Txhsfb fraternity. If you don't think they don't have a leg up in recruitiment of any high school kid in Texas you are mistaking. There is a reason Joey Mcguire was one of Rhule first hires at Baylor

Maybe initially, but good recruiters know how to build relationships. I'll say it like this, I'd rather have a fantastic recruiter with no Texas experience, than a guy who just happens to have been around Texas for a long time. 

2 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

Agreed.

I always thought Kendal was the way to go once he was ready, assuming he would quietly bring Art in as an analyst/consultant after the hire.  I don't think Kendal would cause near the stir as hiring Art directly as HC, but I have no issue with either.

Here's a thought. Bring in Kendal. Hire Chad Morris as the OC. This might keep PB here for another year or two to keep some defensive flow. If PB doesn't stay go after Carthel (he makes $260K)

6 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

If you don’t have amazing relationships or didn’t meet anyone at THSCA and just had lunch with your Marfa coaching buddies I would say that is NOT Texas ties.

If you’ve successfully recruited Texas players and have relationships with Texas coaches I would say that  constitutes Texas ties. 

I believe Fuentes did that at TCU and Memphis. Todd Graham has done that. Bob Stoopes has done that. Kevin Sumlin has done that. Traylor has certainly done that. I would argue all those guys have “Texas ties”

Yeah, I think we're on the same page.  Just to be clear, I think the ties are important.  But, as stated above, it's used so much to a fault.  How many guys out there have one single connection (or none?!) yet make that claim? I think there are a lot of 'm.

Edited by greenminer