My Coaching Wish List at the Moment

TheReal_jayD

another name with ties to Wren is Adam Dorrel, current coach at Abilene Christian.  Wren hired him at Northwest Missouri State in 2011. Coached at NW Missouri from 2011-2016 winning 3 national championships with overall record of 76-8. Hasn't been near as successful at Abilene though. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Yes.  He was Patterson’s right hand man at TCU.   He’s got connections here in Texas.

He also has close connections with some of our boosters, our AD, and like Patterson, could be a long term plan.

He's only 45 years old, which I think is still kinda young to handle that kind of pressure, but he's already been through the wringer, has elevated multiple teams to ranked status, but has also seen his ranked team collapse this season after his quarterback suffered a separated shoulder against Notre Dame. 

Would those Texas connections be enough to offset his youth? He seems to have most everything else we could be looking for.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Marty said:

another name with ties to Wren is Adam Dorrel, current coach at Abilene Christian.  Wren hired him at Northwest Missouri State in 2011. Coached at NW Missouri from 2011-2016 winning 3 national championships with overall record of 76-8. Hasn't been near as successful at Abilene though. 

Yeah, that 15 - 27 record at Abilene Christian would be a little hard to sell.

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, ADLER said:

He also has close connections with some of our boosters, our AD, and like Patterson, could be a long term plan.

He's only 45 years old, which I think is still kinda young to handle that kind of pressure, but he's already been through the wringer, has elevated multiple teams to ranked status, but has also seen his ranked team collapse this season after his quarterback suffered a separated shoulder against Notre Dame. 

Would those Texas connections be enough to offset his youth? He seems to have most everything else we could be looking for.

Considering the fact that I'd be thrilled with guys like Lebby, KBriles, or Yurcich, I don't believe youth is a negative.   Especially for a dude who already has 10 seasons as a head coach.

11 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Inked04753199-BF2C-4743-A397-F2E338E476EA_LI.jpgInked1038996370.jpg_LI.jpgInkedfuente_justin_LI.jpg

My top three at the moment.

Not really interested in option 1.  Greasy dude.

• Upvote 6

17 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

To me it’s the struggle gaining support UNT has always had… attendance and general fan/alumni interest in the program to name a couple.

Win and that all goes away.  The current and future coaches have more institutional support than any coach in UNT history.  We need a coach that is motivated to take advantage of this and just watch the alumni/student/general fan interest skyrocket.

• Upvote 2

Just now, UNTLifer said:

Win and that all goes away.  The current and future coaches have more institutional support than any coach in UNT history.  We need a coach that is motivated to take advantage of this and just watch the alumni/student/general fan interest skyrocket.

Yes exactly.  People say we won’t support the program but the program has rarely provided any results on the field.  When it has we have seen interest and donations rise.  Look at our coaching salaries and budget.  That was directly tied to Littrell’s good years.  The stadium tied to Dickeys success.  If we win the conference and get into the top 25 and see no increase I will agree with the doubters.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

That bandwagon fan philosophy needs to stop. 
A huge selling point for Hayden Fry going to Iowa was even though they were perennial losers, the fans showed up and were loud.

A loud crowd will make our home field a hostile place to play for visiting teams to play.

A fan base that only shows up when we win is not a good selling point for a potential new coach.

Withhold your big money gifts to the MGSF and send a letter to the AD with your reasoning. But show up for your team and be a part of its future.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

36 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

104–69

Oh, I know.   I just don't like the way that Pitt-to-AZSt move went down.
Also, you're talking about bringing him home... it just seems like a "getting-close-to-retirement" type of move for a guy who's been all around the country.   
It's worth talking to him.  I bet he'd jump real quick and just text his Hawaii team, "C U L8r".

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Hookset said:

That bandwagon fan philosophy needs to stop. 
A huge selling point for Hayden Fry going to Iowa was even though they were perennial losers, the fans showed up and were loud.

A loud crowd will make our home field a hostile place to play for visiting teams to play.

A fan base that only shows up when we win is not a good selling point for a potential new coach.

Withhold your big money gifts to the MGSF and send a letter to the AD with your reasoning. But show up for your team and be a part of its future.

But it's accurate. Hayden Fry was here in the 70s. Any thing he did when he was here doesn't matter in 2021. There was no ESPN, that was pre-BCS era and we didn't have the numbers we have now. And please spare me with coming in here and giving me a history lesson on Hayden Fry. I get it...he was great and got frustrated here. But geez, that was 50 years ago.

And I can count on 1 hand the program whose fans show up when their team isn't winning. Don't forget...not only have we not been winning, we've been losing in embarrassing fashion. 

The "you fans suck if you don't show up" philosophy needs to stop too. It's not on the fans, it's on the head coach. Want to get mad at someone for poor crowds, get mad at Seth Littrell. Unconditional love is great but it's not realistic. Think about this...we've never won like UTSA is winning now in modern, ESPN history. But we basically sold out Apogee after a 4-0 start a few years ago. But the on field performance stopped there. Had we kept going like UTSA is going...we would be filling Apogee. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Oh, I know.   I just don't like the way that Pitt-to-AZSt move went down.
Also, you're talking about bringing him home... it just seems like a "getting-close-to-retirement" type of move for a guy who's been all around the country.   
It's worth talking to him.  I bet he'd jump real quick and just text his Hawaii team, "C U L8r".

I completely understand all those concerns.  He is only 56. Not super old in terms of coaching age (for reference Skip Holtz is 57.) I understand the Pittsburgh/Arizona State situation was ugly. But at the same time I don't know very many people that would rather live in Pittsburgh over Arizona for less money. So I can't really hold that against. Also if he gets us over 8 wins and a couple bowls wins and bounces I say it was a great hire.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1