My Coaching Wish List at the Moment

TheReal_jayD

9 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

Is there anyway we can steal Billy Napier away from Louisiana? I don't think it would be possible financially but man would be awesome if we could steal a good young HC from a smaller conference like we did with when we got McCasland from ark st

He makes more than Littrell right now.   If we want him, gonna have to find that money somewhere.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

He makes more than Littrell right now.   If we want him, gonna have to find that money somewhere.

I know that why I was saying financially I don't think we can't but, would like to steal a gut with HC experience  from a smaller conference 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

Is there anyway we can steal Billy Napier away from Louisiana? I don't think it would be possible financially but man would be awesome if we could steal a good young HC from a smaller conference like we did with when we got McCasland from ark st

13 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

He was mentioned as a candidate for the LSU job on the Paul Finebaum show last week.

• Upvote 1

It’s time to admit that Seth Littrell is at least as good as Darrell Dickey, and we would be arrogant and unwise to toss him aside as though we were now a destination job.

Look at the wanderings of the Sand Aggies in Lubbock since they jettisoned Mike Leach. 

The bowl appearances and near champions and decent recruiting by Seth have given some here the Sand Aggies’ mistaken “We’re good enough to dance with someone who didn’t brung us” attitude.

Watch what you ask for.  Many of you pined for Todd Dodge, if you’ll be honest to your own confused recollections.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

USC and LSU have both been available since Stoops left OU….

Yet he accepted the XFL job with the Dallas Renegades last year because he likes the area. At his level he is clearly above being money-whipped like other candidates.

North Texas needs to make a statement hire as much as it needs to make an incredibly good football hire.

Stoops may be expensive, maybe damned expensive, but that hire could launch North Texas into sports relevance.

To quote Dr Norval Pohl, "Athletics is the window through which most of the world views a university." For a 45K enrollment school with a $1.5 Billion budget, the difference between paying $2 Million a year for a probably capable coach, and $4 Million for one that's instantly going to elevate the program instantly going to sell out the stadium, that cost difference is negligible.

It would sure be nice to say that we are expanding Apogee to 50-60K because of ticket demand.

North Texas has been blessed, incredibly blessed, to have had some extremely generous benefactors that have made enormous financial commitments. Everybody wants to be associated with a winner, and few programs nationally have been starved for a consistent winner the way North Texas has, and only a small percentage of other alumni have become emotionally attached. This move could change all that and be the incentive that would start getting other people to contribute. What other move would quickly energize the North Texas alumni base? What cost is that worth?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

USC and LSU have both been available since Stoopes left OU….

My point is, quite frankly, he’s better than the UNT job. I don’t think he’s sitting around waiting on the UNT job. If he were to choose to come out of retirement, and I don’t think he’s going to, he’s not doing it in Denton. Also, with his connections to Coach Mac and SL, he’s going to know how hard it is to win here and that the lack of support is hard to overcome.

Edited by DentonLurker
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

8 hours ago, p_phelps said:

* first please note that Napier is already paid more than Seth.

I think Billy may be both LSU's top target and it's his dream job. It may be possible to bring him to North Texas so start digging through your sofa because it's gonna take quite a bit of pocket change.

7 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

Also, with his connections to Coach Mac and SL, he’s going to know how hard it is to win here and that the lack of support is hard to overcome.

Please expand on this. Genuinely curious about how Littrell has not been supported while he’s been here and how that’s held him back?

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

simba-circle-of-life.gif

Thanks. I actually laughed out loud. That my be an even better personification of the Todd Dodge era/error when he pissed away his golden opportunity as his main focus changed to become "Under Armour Boy!"

Edited by ADLER
  • Thanks 1

On 10/21/2021 at 6:45 PM, untbowler said:

Would take Neal Brown or Fuente in a heart beat, both did well at G5's. 

Looks like Fuente is now available after VT ranking as high as #15 earlier this season . He did do an amazing job building Memphis. Could he do the same at North Texas?

/

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, ADLER said:

Looks like Fuente is now available after VT ranking as high as #15 earlier this season . He did do an amazing job building Memphis. Could he do the same at North Texas?

/

50 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Yes.  He was Patterson’s right hand man at TCU.   He’s got connections here in Texas.

22 minutes ago, Marty said:

Fuente & Wren have that Memphis connection 

He is probably top on my list. He built Memphis. Wren has even mentioned him in several interviews.

• Upvote 3