My Coaching Wish List at the Moment

TheReal_jayD

2 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I’ve got kind of a crazy one. But maybe not too crazy. 

Bob Stoopes.

He is still young. Knows the area. Brings instant credibility. Major HC success. Resurrected OU. Doesn’t need money, still seems to want to compete. Should we call him? 

Interesting idea.

Stoopes would be awesome.  Pretty sure the XFL is dead and not coming back so assume he is available.  Wonder if the competitive juices are still flowing at the college level?  Hard to think that type of guy could just turn it off that quickly.  He's only 61.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Bob Stoopes.

He is still young. Knows the area. Brings instant credibility. Major HC success. Resurrected OU. Doesn’t need money, still seems to want to compete. Should we call him? 

I love the idea but no way he wants to replace his boy Seth Littrell.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Bob Stoopes.

Definitely make the call and have him tell you he’s not interested before assuming he’s not.

• Upvote 2

On 10/21/2021 at 10:28 PM, Marty said:

I brought up Stoops' name in another thread. That would sure get a lot of attention. Don't know if he would be interested but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Well, he's only 61 and he did take an XFL Dallas Renegades job in 2019-2020. He may be ready to get back onto the college sidelines.

That may be the home run hire statement we need. And yes, possibly retain Seth as Associate Head Coach/ Offensive Coordinator with a lot of head coaching responsibilities.

1 hour ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Wonder if we have a Fertitta out there who has a spare $50 million he could give or float a loan so “In Wren We Trust” could finish out the Athletic Center/(hopefully full End Zone Facility) & then move on to varsity baseball & then—a re-do of the fabulous Super Pit? 

It helps when that person is Chairman of the Board of Regents

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Never hurts to ask, but with all due respect, expecting SL to stay on in any capacity is a ridiculous.  

Really?  That sure was how it was presented to everyone on his success last night. In fact Seth was congratulated in front of some of our richest and most influential donors who were in attendance.

5 minutes ago, meangreen11 said:

Really?  That sure was how it was presented to everyone on his success last night. In fact Seth was congratulated in front of some of our richest and most influential donors who were in attendance.

Because that's what you do at a celebratory event. IMO, some of our richest and most influential donors like Seth quite a bit, enough to not like it if he were treated disrespectfully, but not enough to watch their money being thrown away on losing football.

There's reason to believe that he'll finish out this season. I have seen nothing to indicate that the decision as to his future will not be made at THAT time.

And, you know what, he DOES deserve praise for taking us from 1-11 to two 9-win seasons, for Mason Fine, for bringing Graham Harrell... for all of that. Those things helped us a lot, and were sorely needed at the time. And he deserves criticism for everything that's happened since. That's the job. But this wasn't an event about Seth Littrell.

If Seth wins out (most likely due to a scenario where I've gained the flight and invisibility super powers and "Angels in the Outfield" us to victory every week), then maybe he stays on. If we keep losing like we have, I fully expect him to be fired from his position. Nothing said last night changed my perception of that.

23 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Hello old Coog pal!  
(Of course, I knew he was that, but thanks for reminding me.

Whatever happened to Mr. & Mrs. John J. Moores?

🦅

Haven't heard that name much for a while. He was everywhere, but he became a lot less visible during and after his very messy divorce.

You'd think maybe his divorce reduced his cash making him less able to donate, but he sold the Padres (possibly partly due to the divorce) for $800 million.

The last time I heard much about him is when he tried to buy an English soccer team a few years ago, but it didn't go through

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

Yeah right… If Bob Stoops wants back in a college job, he’s going to USC, LSU, etc. Wren shouldn’t even waste his time.

Bob Stoops isn’t going to coach anywhere else due to health issues that led to his retirement from OU.

If we are not wise enough to keep Seth, there are several failed University of Texas head coaches and coordinators who are 6-17 against OU in the 21st Century who are perpetually available.  How about Major Applewhite?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, CherokeeJim said:

The fan of a school joining a dying major conference is accusing me of sarcasm?

Applewhite is a coordinator at a school like UNT.  He would coach at UNT given the offer.  

Be real, my friend.  

Not knocking UNT. Quite the opposite.  UNT can get and deserves better than Applewhite.

• Upvote 5

33 minutes ago, CherokeeJim said:

The time to extend Seth’s contract is now...before Kansas State unofficially tries to steal him again.

Extend him for five years, for $2 million a year.  A bargain for the AAC’s future multi-year Coach of the Year.

This is most ridiculous suggestion I have seen on this forum in a long time.  Extending medicority for a bargain?  And with all the good and bad of Seth mediocre is a compliment because mediocre is 0.500 and his record below that.  AAC step up won't magically improve recruiting, player retention and development.  AT BEST you let him coach another year IF and ONlY if the team plays better the rest of the year.  I say win 2 more games and not getting blown out by any team not in the top 25 at the end of the regular season.  I am shocked anyone suggested an extension here.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1