My Coaching Wish List at the Moment

TheReal_jayD

50 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

UNT will be a lot easier sell to his backyard recruits than Washington State. I believe he needs to stay in the Southwest to maximize his recruiting connects. The only P5 at this time is Tech. I think Dykes would be their hire. Also believe SMU would promote Riley. We can offer more money and 10x better facilities. 

But why start from scratch when he already ranked in the same G5 conference? He likely will not coach a single game in the American.. He will be in a P4/5 conference within two years tops, most likely after this season.

I’m not saying it isn’t worth asking but the likelihood of him jumping to another school in conference with the reputation he has is extremely small.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

But why start from scratch when he already ranked in the same G5 conference? He likely will not coach a single game in the American.. He will be in a P4/5 conference within two years tops, most likely after this season.

I could see this happening with a bump in pay and stay one more year, but remember what happened to Seth within a year. Penthouse to the outhouse! 

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

The guy that SMU fans were elated when Arkansas took him off their hands?
The guy that drove the Razorbacks into the ground?

HARD Pass.  We have the best Morris already on staff.

Meh.  If you are making a list and including retreads... 

As I recall Morris took over a 1-11 pony team and had them back bowling in 3 years and beating our favorite school all 3 years.  I don't remember the ponies being so happy he was leaving.  He had enough success to get hired by an SEC school. He was a rising star on the fast track and learned how hard it is to win in the SEC (certainly not the first to learn that lesson).

Also, I will always be grateful for one fine Saturday in Fayetteville so he belongs on the list in order to bring up good memories.

• Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

49 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

As I recall Morris took over a 1-11 pony team and had them back bowling in 3 years and beating our favorite school all 3 years.  I don't remember the ponies being so happy he was leaving.  He had enough success to get hired by an SEC school. He was a rising star on the fast track and learned how hard it is to win in the SEC (certainly not the first to learn that lesson).

Also, I will always be grateful for one fine Saturday in Fayetteville so he belongs on the list in order to bring up good memories.

Morris was 7-5 in his best year at SMU and was 4-4 in AAC play that year. He had an overall record of 14-22 there. 

Yes, he was a rising star... one that rose too quickly and flamed out. We aren't talking about a guy that had a measure of success at the G5 and then didn't work out at the P5 level, or a specific school.

His last job was a P5 coordinator and now he's back to coaching high school (he's doing fine there, but it's hard to tell because Allen has been winning for a long time now).

I'm not saying he can't work. I think he's a hell of a motivator and recruiter, particularly in Texas. I just don't know if he has the HC chops or can put together a staff, or, more importantly, multiple staffs. Pretty risky for a hire that HAS to work.

I'd definitely look at him for an OC/AHC-type position though for his recruiting and motivational skills. But I think he'll probably have a shot at a P5 OC position if he wants one.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

I could see this happening with a bump in pay and stay one more year, but remember what happened to Seth within a year. Penthouse to the outhouse! 

All the more reason to strike while the iron is hot. He will use Seth as a cautionary tale and take the best P5 job available to him at the end of this season.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

I have relatives that are Arkansas grads and connected alums.  Morris was not liked by fans or players.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Monkeypox said:

Morris was 7-5 in his best year at SMU and was 4-4 in AAC play that year. He had an overall record of 14-22 there. 

Yes, he was a rising star... one that rose too quickly and flamed out. We aren't talking about a guy that had a measure of success at the G5 and then didn't work out at the P5 level, or a specific school.

His last job was a P5 coordinator and now he's back to coaching high school (he's doing fine there, but it's hard to tell because Allen has been winning for a long time now).

I'm not saying he can't work. I think he's a hell of a motivator and recruiter, particularly in Texas. I just don't know if he has the HC chops or can put together a staff, or, more importantly, multiple staffs. Pretty risky for a hire that HAS to work.

I'd definitely look at him for an OC/AHC-type position though for his recruiting and motivational skills. But I think he'll probably have a shot at a P5 OC position if he wants one.

Don't disagree, just mentioned his name as a retread since he is current coach with strong Texas ties. Not my first choice, but feel like he could be an option.  He is a pretty smooth talker and good recruiter. Jury still out on how good of a FBS head coach he can be.  Has the additional benefit of getting under the pony skin if he were to do well.

27 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

As bad as I hate to say it Liberty is damn good.

That’s because they had the fortitude to hire a coach that most schools wouldn’t touch. When Freeze gets hired away, they will repeat the process with Ian McCaw’s old buddy and keep on winning because they don’t bow to public pressure.

• Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

If Matt Wells isn’t on that list, I can’t believe it to be legitimate.

That was a stupid hire in the first place. He also never should have taken that job. He could have continued at Utah State, his alma mater, indefinitely and they probably would be ranked under his reign. Wells didn't check any of the boxes that a large Texas school would typically go after.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

That what happens when you take a Power Run team and expect them to convert to Spread in 2 years in the best conference. Chad is a great coach. And a HELL of a recruiter.

This and the reason he wasn’t liked is because he was loosing and was going home on the weekends to see his son play on a private jet! He may be the best recruiter I have seen. He inherited a bare Jun Jones team.  Whatever happened to his son?

• Upvote 1

Lots of good names in this thread.  I trust that Wren has enough contacts to have a good idea why a coach may have succeeded or failed at a school and who would be a good fit for us.  I believe we will have a lot of interested in the job. 

As others have said, keep a close eye on those who have worked with Wren before:  Odom, Fuente, and any others. 

Edited by NorthTexan95

3 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

That’s because they had the fortitude to hire a coach that most schools wouldn’t touch. When Freeze gets hired away, they will repeat the process with Ian McCaw’s old buddy and keep on winning because they don’t bow to public pressure.

I hope we beat Ian to the punch, but I doubt we will.  We will hire someone safe that looks good on paper and seems like should be a good solid hire, but...

Hoping for the best.  Trust in Wren.

Edited by TreeFiddy
  • Upvote 1

I’ve got kind of a crazy one. But maybe not too crazy. 

Bob Stoopes.

He is still young. Knows the area. Brings instant credibility. Major HC success. Resurrected OU. Doesn’t need money, still seems to want to compete. Should we call him? 

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1