My Coaching Wish List at the Moment

TheReal_jayD

1 minute ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I hate coaches getting paid almost $2 million and putting out a product this bad mid-season

I'm just as frustrated with current results.  But multiple 'wish list' threads in mid October seems like negative energy this program doesn't need at the moment.  Unless you're Wren in disguise let him do his job, Seth do his, and have an extra adult beverage at the game on Friday by dude.  

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 8

22 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

If the Coaches and players are looking for energy on this, or any other fan forum, then we are worse off them we imagined. This is a place for fans to vent. And you know what is even better -none if forcing you to ready or reply if you disagree

Like I said, all the love.  I don't mind the venting, just the waste of time everyone finding some random dude they think will be a good head coach when we have one already here.  

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, eppy4life said:

I'm just as frustrated with current results.  But multiple 'wish list' threads in mid October seems like negative energy this program doesn't need at the moment.  Unless you're Wren in disguise let him do his job, Seth do his, and have an extra adult beverage at the game on Friday by dude.  

I think they need to feel the pressure.

• Upvote 1

On 10/11/2021 at 10:31 AM, MeanGreenTexan said:

FBS Head Coach section:
1.  You're dreaming.  If he were going to leave, he would've by now.
2.  Not Interested.  Slimy dude.  We can do better.
3.  He's coaching his alma mater.  He's not going to another G5.  P5 or bust for him.
4.  Not to be heartless, but he looks broken now after his wife's death.  Poor guy.
5.  Lol.  Why even mention him?
6.  While you're dreaming, why didn't you put Traylor, Clark (same chances as nabbing Holtz) or Napier (I mean, what else can Napier do at LALa to earn a P5 job?  He may need a change of scenery in order to move up... makes more $ than Littrell though.) in here??

Hot Seat P5 section:
1.  If he's fired and available... I'm interested.   Have to really interview him because he's getting beaten up pretty bad up there and might not be the same coach.
2.  He's not going to be available.    His team is fighting hard.   Beating the brakes off of teams they should beat, and losing CLOSE GAMES to top 25 teams.   He's building something.
3.  If he's fired and available, I'd interview & listen.
4.  Probably want to add Norvell & Brohm in here as well.

FCS:
I'm just not interested in either of these guys.  I think we can do better.  These would be lazy hires, especially Keeler, who's already 62 years old.   Look closer at Carthel, he won at A&M-Commerce, but hasn't done much at SFA.

Asst Coach:
1.  I think mentioning Harrell is just out of familiarity/Littrell-spite.  I don't think he's the right guy for our job. 
2.  Yes.  Interested.  Honestly, if we're looking at guys who are familiar, we may want to look at the guy working with Lebby at Ole Miss.   Might come over in a package deal as the new OC.
3.  You're leaving a lot of really good options out too, IMO:
      - Kendal.  I agree with your later assertions that his last name makes hiring him as HC anywhere in Texas virtually a no-go... definitely at a school like UNT.  But I think he's going to make some team very happy.
      - Mike Yurcich.
      - Barry Odom - because of the Baker connection

Then, you need a "retread" section containing Kevin Sumlin & Tom Herman.

Probably safe to remove Brohm from any wishlist now after taking down #2 Iowa.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

On 10/13/2021 at 10:02 PM, All About UNT said:

Okay so that leads to the next question... who coached them up? Or did he randomly stumble into a great situation?

He randomly stumbled into a great situation, plus I happen to think he had a fantastic DC his forst 2 years at UH. As far as QBs go, at UH it was a combo of Art Briles and subsequently Dana Holgorsen that developed Case Keenum. At A&M it was Kliff Kingsbury that helped JFF develop the talent that shined on the way to the Heisman. 

Same thing if they wanted to give credit to Seth for developing Mason; that was ALL Graham Harrell. Chico or Mac for Derek Thompson? No, that was Todd Dodge.

On 10/11/2021 at 10:31 AM, MeanGreenTexan said:

FBS Head Coach section:
1.  You're dreaming.  If he were going to leave, he would've by now.
2.  Not Interested.  Slimy dude.  We can do better.
3.  He's coaching his alma mater.  He's not going to another G5.  P5 or bust for him.
4.  Not to be heartless, but he looks broken now after his wife's death.  Poor guy.
5.  Lol.  Why even mention him?
6.  While you're dreaming, why didn't you put Traylor, Clark (same chances as nabbing Holtz) or Napier (I mean, what else can Napier do at LALa to earn a P5 job?  He may need a change of scenery in order to move up... makes more $ than Littrell though.) in here??

Hot Seat P5 section:
1.  If he's fired and available... I'm interested.   Have to really interview him because he's getting beaten up pretty bad up there and might not be the same coach.
2.  He's not going to be available.    His team is fighting hard.   Beating the brakes off of teams they should beat, and losing CLOSE GAMES to top 25 teams.   He's building something.
3.  If he's fired and available, I'd interview & listen.
4.  Probably want to add Norvell & Brohm in here as well.

FCS:
I'm just not interested in either of these guys.  I think we can do better.  These would be lazy hires, especially Keeler, who's already 62 years old.   Look closer at Carthel, he won at A&M-Commerce, but hasn't done much at SFA.

Asst Coach:
1.  I think mentioning Harrell is just out of familiarity/Littrell-spite.  I don't think he's the right guy for our job. 
2.  Yes.  Interested.  Honestly, if we're looking at guys who are familiar, we may want to look at the guy working with Lebby at Ole Miss.   Might come over in a package deal as the new OC.
3.  You're leaving a lot of really good options out too, IMO:
      - Kendal.  I agree with your later assertions that his last name makes hiring him as HC anywhere in Texas virtually a no-go... definitely at a school like UNT.  But I think he's going to make some team very happy.
      - Mike Yurcich.
      - Barry Odom - because of the Baker connection

Then, you need a "retread" section containing Kevin Sumlin & Tom Herman.

Morris seems like a viable candidate for the retread bucket.  At one time he was the faster rising star between him and Traylor.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Retreads aren’t of any interest to me, if you got fired for poor on-field performance, you’ll probably do worse here.

I’ll take an up-and-coming head coach from the lower level like Colby Carthel (he could be the Texas version of that Tulane coach many liked when we got Seth).

Or, I will take a coach who was fired for something other than on-field performance. Briles, Freeze (before Liberty got him), and Rolovich come to mind.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • RV 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Retreads aren’t of any interest to me, if you got fired for poor on-field performance, you’ll probably do worse here.

I’ll take an up-and-coming head coach from the lower level like Colby Carthel (he could be the Texas version of that Tulane coach many liked when we got Seth).

Or, I will take a coach who was fired for something other than on-field performance. Briles, Freeze (before Liberty got him), and Rolovich come to mind.

Traylor would be be my number 1 . Has been successful at all stops

• Confused 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Traylor would be be my number 1 . Has been successful at all stops

If he’d say yes, absolutely! But I can’t see him stopping at any other G5 after this season, he’ll be P5 without question unless he suffers an unimaginable collapse.

Edited by Cr1028

21 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Morris seems like a viable candidate for the retread bucket.  At one time he was the faster rising star between him and Traylor.

Is there a Morris out there that I’m not aware of? Because all I can think of is Chad and that dude was a 18-40 HC in college and I can’t imagine considering that “viable”.

• Upvote 6

30 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

The guy that SMU fans were elated when Arkansas took him off their hands?
The guy that drove the Razorbacks into the ground?

HARD Pass.  We have the best Morris already on staff.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

If he’d say yes, absolutely! But I can’t see him stopping at any other G5 after this season, he’ll be P5 without question unless he suffers an unimaginable collapse.

UNT will be a lot easier sell to his backyard recruits than Washington State. I believe he needs to stay in the Southwest to maximize his recruiting connects. The only P5 at this time is Tech. I think Dykes would be their hire. Also believe SMU would promote Riley. We can offer more money and 10x better facilities. 

On 10/14/2021 at 2:19 PM, eppy4life said:

It’s a message board. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1