My Coaching Wish List at the Moment

TheReal_jayD

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

FBS Head Coach section:

1) I have heard there is and has been mutual interest. Skip currently makes a million less than Seth.

2) winner

3) Making 1.2 million less than Seth

4) Valid

5) Could have said the exact same thing about Grant Mccasland before he was hired at UNT. Seth makes over double what Chadwell makes. He also has zero P5 experience in any position. I think UNT is a step up.

6) Traylor and Napier have both been assistants at the P5 level. I think both will be a tier higher in the coaching carousel than Chadwell just for that reason. Clark, Traylor and Napier will all get calls for P5 interview this off season I believe.

Hot Seat P5 section:

4) Yes to Brohm. Not sure about Norvell. He won with Fuente's roster at Memphis. Now has an absolute dumpster fire at FSU. That is concerning.

FCS:

That is okay to think that way. I think if we played either SFA or Sam Houston state this year I am not sure we would be favorites in either game.

Asst Coach:

1) I agree. I don't think he would get the job. And to tell you the truth I am not sure I would be excited if he was. Did not have the Charisma needed yet to be a HC at UNT.

3) TBH he is probably one of my favorites. But I don't think UNT has the juevos to make that kind of hire. He will be successful. Just like virtually every stop he has mad so far.

As for Yurich and Odom I hope its not either. Odom I have heard from one of his former assistants he is just not a good head coach.

(1) I agree. I don't think he would get the job. And to tell you the truth I am not sure I would be excited if he was. Did not have the Charisma needed yet to be a HC at UNT.

(3) TBH he is probably one of my favorites. But I don't think UNT has the juevos to make that kind of hire. He will be successful. Just like virtually every stop he has mad so far.

1.  He (Harrell) has more charisma and personality than Seth has ever shown. He might not be ready, but I feel like people write him off just because of his youthful persona/look and country accent. It sucks his time at USC has been marred by dysfunction at the HC position. 

3. I mean his (Lebby) resume is VERY similar to Littrell's when we hired him. I feel like we're the perfect place for him to get his shot. I just fear Wren and Co. will view it as Littrell Part Two.

Edited by UNTcrazy727
  • Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

1.  He (Harrell) has more charisma and personality than Seth has ever shown. He might not be ready, but I feel like people write him off just because of his youthful persona/look and country accent. It sucks his time at USC has been marred by dysfunction at the HC position. 

3. I mean his (Lebby) resume is VERY similar to Littrell's when we hired him. I feel like we're the perfect place for him to get his shot. I just fear Wren and Co. will view it as Littrell Part Two.

1) I should be more clear. I have heard on recruiting visits he can come off as awkward and not really a good recruiter. When you are going up against Samples and Traylor... Arguably the best two recruiters in the country....you can't have it.

3) you are correct as well. I fear the same thing. When things don't work out you see AD's go in the opposite direction. I will say I think Lebby offense is much better than Seth.. he is also a much better recruiter.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

1) I should be more clear. I have heard on recruiting visits he can come off as awkward and not really a good recruiter. When you are going up against Samples and Traylor... Arguably the best two recruiters in the country....you can't have it.

Find a way to get Ra’Shaad Samples away from SMU. 

What if you’re going up against Tommy Perry?

Edited by Cr1028

4 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

He's like 28

Maybe in 10 years...

Not saying as a HC, but find a way to get him on the staff. SMU has already promoted him a couple of times to keep him. He considered one of the best recruiters around and he brings strong ties (through his father) to the Dallas HS scene.

Just now, El Paso Eagle said:

Not saying as a HC, but find a way to get him on the staff. SMU has already promoted him a couple of times to keep him. He considered one of the best recruiters around and he brings strong ties (through his father) to the Dallas HS scene.

Oh well I don't see him making a downward move. He is arguably one of the top assistant coaches and recruiters in the country, he will be in the P5 ranks in a few years.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Oh well I don't see him making a downward move. He is arguably one of the top assistant coaches and recruiters in the country, he will be in the P5 ranks in a few years.

Then hire his dad 😈 and cutoff the middleman for transfers

• Upvote 1

Skip says no to doubling his salary and his assistants getting a raise.. because its the same conference?

@MeanGreenTexan went down this road in another thread, but I think it was about the UTSA coach.  I think similar things are going to be said here about Holtz.  Here is one of many quotes in it:

On 9/15/2021 at 1:43 PM, MeanGreenTexan said:

Are you guys really serious?

Do you really think if SL were canned this season, we could just go offer the coaches of the best C-USA teams $300-500K more/yr, and they would gladly jump ship & come to a losing team?   

Again, this sounds like something you or I might do for our careers...  but I've NEVER heard of a FBS football coach leaving a winning program in order to take on a losing team in the same conference just for money.

Has anyone else heard of this?    Can you cite if so?

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Skip says no to doubling his salary and his assistants getting a raise.. because its the same conference?

I honestly don't think it's all about money for him.    Look at what he's built at LATech.
You and I see a ton of potential at North Texas.   Skip may see a reeling football program he would have to resurrect.  And watching coach after coach get fired from here, he may not think it's worth it.  Plus, yeah, lateral moves and whatnot.

14 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Sumlin has better chance than Herman. Herman doesn’t have recommendations from past ADs.

Yeah, the more I look into Herman, he has burned bridges pretty much everywhere.    And there are stories out there of recruits actually recruiting AGAINST Herman (not the Longhorns, just Herman) while he was at Texas.   I don't know how he's perceived by TXHSFB coaches, but I doubt it's very well.    Should probably strike him off my list.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Yeah, the more I look into Herman, he has burned bridges pretty much everywhere.    And there are stories out there of recruits actually recruiting AGAINST Herman (not the Longhorns, just Herman) while he was at Texas.   I don't know how he's perceived by TXHSFB coaches, but I doubt it's very well.    Should probably strike him off my list.

Perception is not good at all.

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

yup-yep.gif

We can agree to disagree. I have heard from multiple sources we would turn him down before he would turn us down. I guess we can see how it plays out.