My Coaching Wish List at the Moment

TheReal_jayD

12 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

Give me Keeler.  I want a winner. Period

13 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

Give me Keeler.  I want a winner. Period

This guy has done a great job at Sam Houston. I want a coach who has been  successful in Texas that is ready for the next step up, not a retread  who was fired from his job .

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

16 minutes ago, greenminer said:

You're thinking A&M-Sumlin.  I'm thinking Houston-Sumlin.

But even Houston gets a higher level of players than we do. Don't get me wrong I am a fan of Sumlins, just would rather see us go with someone like Keller or Carthel, or my top choice of Holtz.

Frost seems to be going through a lot… not sure he can make another UCF where he’s at now, but I sure would love to replicate what happened at UCF. I feel like many of us also don’t have our eyes set as high as they could be… if we joined the MWC we’d have the highest paid coaching staff. We can totally afford a big timer.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

But even Houston gets a higher level of players than we do. Don't get me wrong I am a fan of Sumlins, just would rather see us go with someone like Keller or Carthel, or my top choice of Holtz.

Might be interesting to see how our last 3 classes compare stack up against Sumlin's first 3 at Houston.  Or the last 3 Briles had before he moved on.

Just now, greenminer said:

Might be interesting to see how our last 3 classes compare stack up against Sumlin's first 3 at Houston.  Or the last 3 Briles had before he moved on.

Would be interesting. The only problem I see is that it seems the rating services are being more and more generous with the ratings

29 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

Give me Briles, either one of them

I’ll be charitable to Kendall, but as for Art, isn’t his stop at Mount Vernon a bad predictor of his ability to run a clean program?

I had this conversation with @TheReal_jayDbut with Art Briles it’s not so much a matter of self righteousness that leads to the concern. I think it’s more of a question of risk bringing in someone who got his high school program in hot water for using ineligible players. That coming almost immediately in his first stint after getting Baylor in a giant legal mess that is not entirely over 6 years after the game he coached there.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2

Why would Dykes leave La Tech?

My first choice is Keeler. 

I would love to steal Traylor from UTSA but I have a feeling UH may be in the market soon and he will be their target.  Not a fan of Graham.  I think he burned bridges to the point he can't get back to the mainland.  I would be interested in any of the others noted except Briles.  I think Kendall is waiting to be a P5 head coach and wouldn't be here long even if we could lure him away from Arkansas.  Briles Sr. just needs to retire.  

Back to Keeler, give him a Million base with a bunch of incentives and increase the assistants budget.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Would be interesting. The only problem I see is that it seems the rating services are being more and more generous with the ratings

Then let’s look at the National ratings, not the individual star ratings.

The 4 classes at Houston before Sumlin took over were ranked:

• 2004 - 65th nationally

• 2005 - 87th nationally

• 2006 - 91st nationally

• 2007 - 90th nationally

So average of about 83rd nationally

North Texas’ last 4 classes have been ranked

• 2018 - 101st nationally

• 2019 - 76th nationally

• 2020 - 68th nationally

• 2021 - 78th nationally

Average of about 81st nationally

So I would say the recruiting state that North Texas is in is generally very comparable to what Houston’s was when Sumlin took over.

• Upvote 6

2 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I’ll be charitable to Kendall, but as for Art, isn’t his stop at Mount Vernon a bad predictor of his ability to run a clean program?

I had this conversation with @TheReal_jayDbut with Art Briles it’s not so much a matter of self righteousness that leads to the concern. I think it’s more of a question of risk bringing in someone who immediately got his high school program in hot water for using ineligible players. That coming almost immediately in his first stint after getting Baylor in a giant legal mess that is not entirely over 6 years after the game he coached there.

So I live about 15 minutes from Mt Vernon. The ineligible players was BS. If it was anyone besides Briles UIL wouldn’t have wasted a second on it. My hometown team was the one that protested. They had 3 ineligible players themselves. But UNT has to many that would throw a fit Art isn’t an option. I honestly don’t think Kendal will be either. Why I didn’t even put him on the list. It’s sad tho. This isn’t the first time UNT will pass on a coach due to having high standards. Believe Jim Leavitt and Mike Leach were passed over as candidates back in day as well. Man we dodge bullets there. Wonder what they are up to these days. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

• 2004 - 65th nationally

• 2005 - 87th nationally

• 2006 - 91st nationally

• 2007 - 90th nationally

• 2019 - 76th nationally

• 2020 - 68th nationally

• 2021 - 78th nationally

So I would say the recruiting state that North Texas is in is generally very comparable to what Houston’s was when Sumlin took over.

Who was there before Sumlin? Art Briles. If I had to guess the better talent evaluator of the two Seth or Art I am going to have to go with Art! 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

21 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Who was there before Sumlin? Art Briles. If I had to guess the better talent evaluator of the two Seth or Art I am going to have to go with Art! 

Sometimes you respond to my posts by making a point that has little or nothing to do with what I was saying and I can’t tell if you’re trying to refute my point or are just making a separate point altogether. No one here is making a contention that Seth is a better evaluator than Briles, and the opinions in here are who we should go with after Littrell. Not if we should keep Littrell.

@El Paso Eaglewas making a contention that Sumlin had the benefit of getting better recruits than what he would likely have to work with here so I gave the analysis to show what level they were recruiting at vs what level we have been recruiting at to juxtapose the starting point of what he would inherit vs what he did inherit. It’s pretty similar.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

25 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

• 2004 - 65th nationally

• 2005 - 87th nationally

• 2006 - 91st nationally

• 2007 - 90th nationally

• 2019 - 76th nationally

• 2020 - 68th nationally

• 2021 - 78th nationally

Thanks for the information. So it seems to highlight Seth lack of success in developing talent. 

7 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Sometimes you respond to my posts by making a point that has little or nothing to do with what I was saying and I can’t tell if you’re trying to refute my point or are just making a separate point altogether. No one here is making a contention that Seth is a better evaluator than Briles, and the opinions in here are who we should go with after Littrell. Not if we should keep Littrell.

@El Paso Eaglewas making a contention that Sumlin had the benefit of getting better recruits than what he would likely have to work with here so I gave the analysis to show what level they were recruiting at vs what level we have been recruiting at to juxtapose the starting point of what he would inherit vs what he did inherit. It’s pretty similar.

I was just being a smart ass for the “we hate anyone with the last name Briles” fan club 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

17 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Hire a setting FBS head coach

1) Skip Holtz-La Tech

2) Todd Graham-Hawaii               

3) Shawn Clark-App State    

4) Blake Anderson-Utah State

5) Jamey Chadwell

P5 Coaches on the Hot Seat. I believe they are worth giving a second shot. Every year there is surprising firings. Especially now where at most P5s you must win early and often.

1) Neal Brown- West Virginia

2) Scott Frost- Nebraska

3) Justin Fuente- Virginia Tech  

Go to The FCS Ranks

1) Colby Carthal-SFA

2) KC Keeler- Sam Houston State         

Hire an Assistant Coach

1) Graham Harrell-USC 

2) Jeff Lebby- Ole Miss

FBS Head Coach section:
1.  You're dreaming.  If he were going to leave, he would've by now.
2.  Not Interested.  Slimy dude.  We can do better.
3.  He's coaching his alma mater.  He's not going to another G5.  P5 or bust for him.
4.  Not to be heartless, but he looks broken now after his wife's death.  Poor guy.
5.  Lol.  Why even mention him?
6.  While you're dreaming, why didn't you put Traylor, Clark (same chances as nabbing Holtz) or Napier (I mean, what else can Napier do at LALa to earn a P5 job?  He may need a change of scenery in order to move up... makes more $ than Littrell though.) in here??

Hot Seat P5 section:
1.  If he's fired and available... I'm interested.   Have to really interview him because he's getting beaten up pretty bad up there and might not be the same coach.
2.  He's not going to be available.    His team is fighting hard.   Beating the brakes off of teams they should beat, and losing CLOSE GAMES to top 25 teams.   He's building something.
3.  If he's fired and available, I'd interview & listen.
4.  Probably want to add Norvell & Brohm in here as well.

FCS:
I'm just not interested in either of these guys.  I think we can do better.  These would be lazy hires, especially Keeler, who's already 62 years old.   Look closer at Carthel, he won at A&M-Commerce, but hasn't done much at SFA.

Asst Coach:
1.  I think mentioning Harrell is just out of familiarity/Littrell-spite.  I don't think he's the right guy for our job. 
2.  Yes.  Interested.  Honestly, if we're looking at guys who are familiar, we may want to look at the guy working with Lebby at Ole Miss.   Might come over in a package deal as the new OC.
3.  You're leaving a lot of really good options out too, IMO:
      - Kendal.  I agree with your later assertions that his last name makes hiring him as HC anywhere in Texas virtually a no-go... definitely at a school like UNT.  But I think he's going to make some team very happy.
      - Mike Yurcich.
      - Barry Odom - because of the Baker connection

Then, you need a "retread" section containing Kevin Sumlin & Tom Herman.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

FBS Head Coach section:
1.  You're dreaming.  If he were going to leave, he would've by now.
2.  Not Interested.  Slimy dude.  We can do better.
3.  He's coaching his alma mater.  He's not going to another G5.  P5 or bust for him.
4.  Not to be heartless, but he looks broken now after his wife's death.  Poor guy.
5.  Lol.  Why even mention him?
6.  While you're dreaming, why didn't you put Traylor, Clark (same chances as nabbing Holtz) or Napier (I mean, what else can Napier do at LALa to earn a P5 job?  He may need a change of scenery in order to move up... makes more $ than Littrell though.) in here??

Hot Seat P5 section:
1.  If he's fired and available... I'm interested.   Have to really interview him because he's getting beaten up pretty bad up there and might not be the same coach.
2.  He's not going to be available.    His team is fighting hard.   Beating the brakes off of teams they should beat, and losing CLOSE GAMES to top 25 teams.   He's building something.
3.  If he's fired and available, I'd interview & listen.
4.  Probably want to add Norvell & Brohm in here as well.

FCS:
I'm just not interested in either of these guys.  I think we can do better.  These would be lazy hires, especially Keeler, who's already 62 years old.   Look closer at Carthel, he won at A&M-Commerce, but hasn't done much at SFA.

Asst Coach:
1.  I think mentioning Harrell is just out of familiarity/Littrell-spite.  I don't think he's the right guy for our job. 
2.  Yes.  Interested.  Honestly, if we're looking at guys who are familiar, we may want to look at the guy working with Lebby at Ole Miss.   Might come over in a package deal as the new OC.
3.  You're leaving a lot of really good options out too, IMO:
      - Kendal.  I agree with your later assertions that his last name makes hiring him as HC anywhere in Texas virtually a no-go... definitely at a school like UNT.  But I think he's going to make some team very happy.
      - Mike Yurcich.
      - Barry Odom - because of the Baker connection

Then, you need a "retread" section containing Kevin Sumlin & Tom Herman.

FBS Head Coach section:

1) I have heard there is and has been mutual interest. Skip currently makes a million less than Seth.

2) winner

3) Making 1.2 million less than Seth

4) Valid

5) Could have said the exact same thing about Grant Mccasland before he was hired at UNT. Seth makes over double what Chadwell makes. He also has zero P5 experience in any position. I think UNT is a step up.

6) Traylor and Napier have both been assistants at the P5 level. I think both will be a tier higher in the coaching carousel than Chadwell just for that reason. Clark, Traylor and Napier will all get calls for P5 interview this off season I believe.

Hot Seat P5 section:

4) Yes to Brohm. Not sure about Norvell. He won with Fuente's roster at Memphis. Now has an absolute dumpster fire at FSU. That is concerning.

FCS:

That is okay to think that way. I think if we played either SFA or Sam Houston state this year I am not sure we would be favorites in either game.

Asst Coach:

1) I agree. I don't think he would get the job. And to tell you the truth I am not sure I would be excited if he was. Did not have the Charisma needed yet to be a HC at UNT.

3) TBH he is probably one of my favorites. But I don't think UNT has the juevos to make that kind of hire. He will be successful. Just like virtually every stop he has mad so far.

As for Yurich and Odom I hope its not either. Odom I have heard from one of his former assistants he is just not a good head coach.

• Upvote 1