DRC: UNT Sunday column: The Mean Green are floundering while SMU and UTSA are soaring. That's an issue for UNT

Brett Vito

1 hour ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Maybe Brett should see if the Dallas Morning News or San Antonio Express is hiring. Because he loves talking about SMU and UTSA more than UNT fans care to listen. 

Worry about why our program isn’t making a move and the stupidity of extending him without ONE conference championship or even a CUSA Championship game in our house.  Stop 💩 on the messenger and let us figure out how we can help this team not be 💩!  Not talking about it or not comparing us to programs we SHOULD be on par with or better than isn’t going to help the staff here recruit.  They can see the results online and everywhere! 

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, Mike Jackson said:

Worry about why our program isn’t making a move and the stupidity of extending him without ONE conference championship or even a CUSA Championship game in our house.  Stop 💩 on the messenger and let us figure out how we can help this team not be 💩!  Not talking about it or not comparing us to programs we SHOULD be on par with or better than isn’t going to help the staff here recruit.  They can see the results online and everywhere! 

I just want UNT to play good. I don’t care what SMU, UTSA, or any other team is doing. Not once do I think “man, I wonder how SMU did today?” 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 2

9 hours ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Maybe Brett should see if the Dallas Morning News or San Antonio Express is hiring. Because he loves talking about SMU and UTSA more than UNT fans care to listen. 

Actually I’m glad Vito isn’t too timid to state the truth in a way that hopefully gets the attention of UNT’s leadership.   They don’t listen to me, or you for that matter, but it’s hard to ignore a metroplex news article (even from Denton) that sticks out like a sore thumb for all to read.  This program and thousands ,yes thousands, of North Texas fans, alums and students should indeed expect more.  UNT is a super University that can and should do better.   Vito’s article is a business reality that hopefully gets read by the real movers and shakers who impact leadership.

• Upvote 7

14 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

So, your argument is that Vito’s click bait articles DO help us improve recruiting.  Or that 💩’ing the same “we should have never extended Littrell without ONE conference championship or even a CUSA Championship game in our house” line in every thread will make the payout go away?  

Help me understand where the progress in either of the above comes from.  You think Wren is sitting on the toilet reading gomeangeeen.com and says “well shit, I never considered that we aren’t winning football games or that an extension was a bad idea.  Damn, I gotta fix that NOW!”

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 3

Let me clear some things up for the folks getting bent out of shape: I like Brett and this isn’t a shot at him. This is a shot at the weekly “well UNT lost but x team won!” articles/posts. I do not care that SMU and UTSA are undefeated. Just as SMU and UTSA probably didn’t care when we were undefeated. They just wanted their team to turn it around. 

As for the guy that thinks that Brett writing this will cause Wren to reassess the football program.. I’ll just say if an article is the catalyst for program change, we have much more to worry about than a change at HC. 

Edited by MeanGreen22
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

48 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

I’ll just say if an article is the catalyst for program change, we have much more to worry about than a change at HC. 

If a program changes, it's a collective pressure.  No single event will do that.  Not a single article.  Not the departure of SuperFan Joe.  Not a thread on GMG.com

Change happens when a lot of these happen, in greater frequency.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Help me understand where the progress in either of the above comes from.  You think Wren is sitting on the toilet reading gomeangeeen.com and says “well shit, I never considered that we aren’t winning football games or that an extension was a bad idea.  Damn, I gotta fix that NOW!”

Not worthy of a response but I will.  Bret is doing his job and you would have to ask him what his contract say but I doubt it says Mean Green’s  smoke up the rear blower.  How else would you like him to spend his time? Exclusively writing about the non-revenue sports that are doing better?   A feel good story about a backup who will never see the field?  Bret is doing his job and we should be glad the covering UNT athletics is apart of it.   Much more than all the lazy disaffected alumni who have UNT as a huge part of their resumes and plopping down $1,000s to watch Texas A&M, Baylor, Texas Tech and even a few for SMU (I saw at least 5 UNT alumni in full SMU gear admitting/bragging they don’t support our team at the last UNT vs SMU game).  There is something to get mad about.  

Leave Bret alone or do his job better and post it here in this Forum since it’s so crappy. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 2
  • Pissed 1
  • Downvote 1

Every business has benchmarks to see how they are doing against their main competitors . UNT and SMU are polar opposites in the direction they are going as . Compare out 6th year's coaches performance against UTSA. Bret is just the messenger and instead of getting upset about  how poorly we compare against SMU and UTSA we get bent out of shape at him. What's wrong with this picture?

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Be the spark that lights a fire of change.

Brett isn't moving mountains. But the general public needs to see how bad things are before a movement to get rid of Seth gains more ground. Once the consumer starts changing behavior... That's when mountains move

Edited by Udomann
  • Upvote 1