DRC: Report -- C-USA's presidents to hear realignment proposal

Brett Vito

38 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Thanks!  Looks like a SMU journalist is following up on probably the most important issue facing UNT for the foreseeable future.

A couple interesting tidbits in this article (other than "not interested" in the C-USA proposal).

1.  What's the definition of expansion?  Is it really just replacing the departing schools is it above and beyond that?

2. AAC expects to add several schools in the coming weeks to a month.

3. A new model for extending conference invitations?  Instead of bringing in established schools, he believes the conference can survive by bringing in lesser schools and raising their profile once they are in the conference.

On the last piece, how would that make the schools being invited feel?  It's like saying, "we really see you as a 'lesser' institution, but simply by hanging with us, your stature will rise.  However, we'll always see to as really undeserving of our largesse." 

Edited by keith
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, keith said:

Thanks!  Looks like a SMU journalist is following up on probably the most important issue facing UNT for the foreseeable future.

A couple interesting tidbits in this article (other than "not interested" in the C-USA proposal).

1.  What's the definition of expansion?  Is it really just replacing the departing schools is it above and beyond that?

3. A new model for extending conference invitations?  Instead of bringing in established schools, he believes the conference can survive by bringing in lesser schools and raising their profile once they are in the conference.

On the last piece, how would that make the schools being invited feel?  It's like saying, "we really see you as a 'lesser' institution, but simply by hanging with us, your stature will rise.  However, we'll always see to as really undeserving of our largesse." 

I think Aresco has to say that part about raising lesser schools' profiles to justify what it would looks like to outsiders being rejected by the MWC schools they offered, and bringing in C-USA schools.

Whatever, it's fine with me if he and the existing AAC schools feel like NT is a "lesser school".  Just let us in so we can start competing against you and show you we're not!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, keith said:

Don’t care how you spin it you bring in lesser schools at the G5 level it will dummy the conference down. UAB or 5, UAB’s will not replace what was lost. I think one of the fallacies of a conference is equal distribution. The top 20% should make more than the bottom 20%. 

8 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Don’t care how you spin it you bring in lesser schools at the G5 level it will dummy the conference down. UAB or 5, UAB’s will not replace what was lost. I think one of the fallacies of a conference is equal distribution. The top 20% should make more than the bottom 20%. 

Well then I suppose you would not be for the CUSA AAC merger then.  I always felt that was a desperate ploy by Judy.  The AAC and Mountain West have no interest in many of the C-USA schools.

59 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Well then I suppose you would not be for the CUSA AAC merger then.  I always felt that was a desperate ploy by Judy.  The AAC and Mountain West have no interest in many of the C-USA schools.

I think the merger makes sense from a fee standpoint. For us to leave C-USA we have to give a 2 year notice with a $5.6m buyout. Wichita State paid $2.5 m to get BB only for the AAC. I don’t see how it makes sense to move to another G5.

I feel like Captain Kirk in one of the movies (they blur together) when they think they’ve found God and he wants the Enterprise and Kirk asks “Why does God need a starship?”

If UAB is THE choice as we’ve heard basically since the prospect AAC losing members first arose, my question is, “If UAB is who you want, why haven’t you added them?”

I mean come on first thing AAC needs right now is an 8th full football member, if UAB is the easy choice, the top choice, why not add them and “continue looking at options to advance the league”?

• Upvote 4