DRC: Report -- C-USA's presidents to hear realignment proposal

Brett Vito

Then let’s pool all these multi-school G5 conference’s resources together (by our comrade schools) & then divide it among the poor. 🙄

I’m getting those 1-AA goose bumps back all over again.  Still way too much school pecking order bias left even among what’s left of the G5.  

🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

MWC would have made public overtures to add us if they really wanted us.  But we need to win games and put buts in seats else we we always be just hoping a decent conference picks us. 

It was another time (& I said this before), but SMU had .500 & under W/L seasons 10 years in a row & then were invited to CUSA to begin play in 2005.
So not sure how much winning right now matters, but it would be nice if we were winning now.

🦅

29 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

MWC would have made public overtures to add us if they really wanted us.  But we need to win games and put buts in seats else we we always be just hoping a decent conference picks us. 

Have you watched many other games in G5? If you watch the games and don't read the published butts in seats, we are doing just as well if not better than many, with a crappy product on the field

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

2 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

AAC and Sun Belt have already said no? Then why is CUSA even taking the meeting?

What is said publicly and what might happen behind the scenes as more and more money leaves G5 could be totally different. At some point if you have say 70-80% of the teams that are agreement with it then you let them form their own league because sometime soon when the top P5 teams pull away there's not gonna be any money left for G5 television. At some point the G5 needs to start working on getting butts back in seats. By that I mean actual people in the stands not the reported numbers that are a joke in almost every stadium week after week. Actual people spend money at the games. 

• Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 1

48 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

AAC and Sun Belt have already said no? Then why is CUSA even taking the meeting?

I get your point but this is almost like if you asked the AAC if they would want UCF, Houston, and Cinci to leave. Of course not. This is more of a proposal to the schools which would basically make the existing conferences obsolete if I read this correctly. It probably makes the most sense from a lot of perspectives but egos and false hope may get in the way. I think the AAC and Sun Belt schools think of themselves as superior, but the remaining schools in AAC are not clearly better than the rest of G5 anymore. 

• Upvote 1

In theory you can do all sorts of cool stuff.

Consolidate the TV rights into a single contract to have greater leverage, consolidate the bowl negotiations, post-season event location deals. Set a base payment per team from TV and then eat what you kill for the rest.

But it won’t happen.

Let’s say AAC can get $3 million per, Sun Belt is supposedly at $1.3 million per and CUSA around $1 million.

Let’s take the example of Memphis, AState and MTSU

So do nothing 

Memphis $3 million, AState $1.3 and MTSU $1

Now if we consolidate TV and money goes up so it’s

Memphis $4 million AState $4 and MTSU $4

Memphis doesn’t want that.

The $1 million raise is offset by parity.

It’s better to make $1.7 million more than AState and $2 million more than MTSU than make another million and have your regional competition making the same.

• Upvote 5
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Arkstfan said:

In theory you can do all sorts of cool stuff.

Consolidate the TV rights into a single contract to have greater leverage, consolidate the bowl negotiations, post-season event location deals. Set a base payment per team from TV and then eat what you kill for the rest.

But it won’t happen.

Let’s say AAC can get $3 million per, Sun Belt is supposedly at $1.3 million per and CUSA around $1 million.

Let’s take the example of Memphis, AState and MTSU

So do nothing 

Memphis $3 million, AState $1.3 and MTSU $1

Now if we consolidate TV and money goes up so it’s

Memphis $4 million AState $4 and MTSU $4

Memphis doesn’t want that.

The $1 million raise is offset by parity.

It’s better to make $1.7 million more than AState and $2 million more than MTSU than make another million and have your regional competition making the same.

You can definitely stagger compensation based on what the school brings to the table. Boise would be an example in the MWC. Also this would mitigate buy outs and buy ins. All the G5 conferences are an unknown when it comes to members. 

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Upvote 1

Just speaking for myself, I am not really all that interested in re-arranging the furniture. Rather than a re-do of a conference arrangement that creates little excitement or even interest, it is my great hope that we move on, away from
Sun Belt/C-USA/AAC. I have a hunch and hope that Neal Smatresk shares that sentiment but, he obviously will be trying to slide into any perceived transition with good faith, grace, and as smoothly as possible by participating in such talks. I also believe that he is aware of the very real possibility that our publicly-open interest in MWC might have something of a de-stabilizing effect on the current MWC membership seeing as how some might see us as the green-headed step child.

Edited by Greenrex
Clarity
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Have you watched many other games in G5? If you watch the games and don't read the published butts in seats, we are doing just as well if not better than many, with a crappy product on the field

I have but never thought that bragging about being the smartest kid on the “short bus” was a good look.  We need to hire a real deal coach and start winning and then all those other positive metrics our school has look better.  TV executives aren’t idiots you can’t sell the “potential eyeballs on screens” you sell them actual numbers.  Based on “potential eyeballs” SMU would already be in a P5 conference just like TCU is.   I still think hiring a coach like Gene Chizik and going independent in Football if our conference situation doesn’t improve.  I think with some hard work from the AD and staff we could build a better schedule for attendance.  Also an 8 or more win independent Mean Green end up in just as attractive bowl as 2nd or 3rd place CUSA west division.  None of this is a slam dunk and if we stay in a conference for the benefit of the other programs that is fine by me as well.  But ALL the G5 conferences are structurally weak and have zero loyalty.  So using them to position ourselves to a jump up to P5 (which really should be the goal else why even bother moving conferences in the first place except to control travel cost, increase attendance, and foster regional rivalries).  Going independent opens the schedule to get longer home and home series with the remaining Big 12 teams after TX and OU leave.  Go regional whether the conference leadership  gets their heads out of asses or not.  Stop hoping that these selfish egotistical greedy SOBs do something logical and chose your own destiny. 

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 1

So i just read that the MWC is going to take a" wait and see "approach. They are going to 'wait and see "if the BIG 12 poaches any of their programs and then react accordingly. It still looks like for G5 conferences other than the MWC and MAC the ball is in the AAC's court.

• Upvote 1

Why on earth would the former Big Ten and former Big 12 care anything about the AAC, CUSA and Sun Belt?  They didn't care about us when they were the commissioners of their conferences.  Beware of Greeks Bearing Gifts.  Tell these two to go pound sand!

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, keith said:

Why on earth would the former Big Ten and former Big 12 care anything about the AAC, CUSA and Sun Belt?  They didn't care about us when they were the commissioners of their conferences.  Beware of Greeks Bearing Gifts.  Tell these two to go pound sand!

Jesus...C-USA hired Delany as an advisor.  C-USA leadership is a disaster.  This is all C-USA's doing.  SMH.  

• Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, wardly said:

So i just read that the MWC is going to take a" wait and see "approach. They are going to 'wait and see "if the BIG 12 poaches any of their programs and then react accordingly. It still looks like for G5 conferences other than the MWC and MAC the ball is in the AAC's court.

Of the most attractive programs we are looking at in a poached MWC are Air Force, Fresno State, and Colorado State that is what we realistically we are looking at  adding to our schedule.   A better TV package for our away conference games maybe.   And there is a possibility that anyone of those 3 are poached from the conference also.  This isn't great for travel for the other sports and might include 8:00 pm CST kickoffs for some of our home games for the benefit for the west coast viewers.  I am not sure that is all that positive of a net gain for the athletic department.  AAC arrogance might take all of us G5 down a peg outside of the Mac and MWC. 

• Upvote 1

MWC is in an interesting position. There is not an interesting FBS school within 300 miles of the current members. 

Among FCS Cal-Davis, Portland State, and Sacramento State is about it. Montana is interesting but if they are called up to replace Boise State, they are 470 miles from the nearest MWC and as of this writing, Missoula is under a winter storm warning. 

I think it’s going to be remarkably difficult for MWC to agree on an addition. It’s going to be really hard for anyone in the Central time zone to justify membership without there being at least two more going with them. 

• Upvote 3