Re-alignment Talk Proposal

Hookset

This probably won’t get any real traction but would be a huge cost saving plan for the G-5 schools. This would make maintaining/ upgrading facilities easier for all sports at the smaller schools. Increase rivalries with your school and the schools in your area (who cares if UNT plays ODU???). These schools can still schedule non-conference schedules with bigger programs and some travel.

https://t.co/W8d1tKd2vQ

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

No!

If anything, this strengthens the GO WEST, YOUNG MAN option, because perception is starting to turn into “these 3 leagues are equal”.  

The mere suggestion of this offends me if I’m SMU & Memphis.   We might need to start worrying that MWC makes a move on SMU in DFW instead of us.

If SMU goes MWC then North Texas goes to the __  __ __ !🤠

Aresca could keep the MWC out of  Texas & the DFW Metroplex (which I hear is a concern) if his league added UNT;  otherwise,  the MWC will eventually pick North Texas now or in the near future.
This seems to be getting a little clearer on some aspects of re-alignment politics, but it’s like the Texas weather—if you don’t like it—just wait a minute.

Greed (& survival) is at the forefront of all of this.  

🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It appears that the AAC and SBC have zero interest in this concept as they both feel they are better football conferences that CUSA. This would probably change if the AAC grabbed a combination of App State, ULL, and /or Coastal Carolina in the next week or so. Both the  MWC and MAC are already regional conferences and at present are not included in this discussion.  While I applaud the concept because it just makes sense, CUSA is the  sinking ship that is reaching for a life boat , and will not get one unless another conferenced is forced into a shotgun wedding. If I were the SBC I would hope that the AAC poaches 4 programs from the CUSA which would then implode and could be picked apart.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, wardly said:

It appears that the AAC and SBC have zero interest in this concept as they both feel they are better football conferences that CUSA. This would probably change if the AAC grabbed a combination of App State, ULL, and /or Coastal Carolina in the next week or so. Both the  MWC and MAC are already regional conferences and at present are not included in this discussion.  While I applaud the concept because it just makes sense, CUSA is the  sinking ship that is reaching for a life boat , and will not get one unless another conferenced is forced into a shotgun wedding. If I were the SBC I would hope that the AAC poaches 4 programs from the CUSA which would then implode and could be picked apart.

Non of these G5 Conf will be able to make up what they lost or will loose! They can expand their geographic footprint.

2 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

Non of these G5 Conf will be able to make up what they lost or will loose! They can expand their geographic footprint.

I agree that they can't recover what they lost, i.e. Big 12. But expanding their footprint doesn't seem to be the way to go, i.e. CUSA. In my opinion the AAC, CUSA, and SBC need to shrink to  regional conferences to reduce costs. The SBC has done a good job except for perhaps Texas State who might be too much of an outlier, while CUSA has done the worst by far. The AAC doesn't appear to have an interest in developing a regional conference hence their invitations to MWC schools. It seems to be a Catch 22 for G5 programs, but so both the MAC and MWC have so far stuck to their guns regarding regional conferences. It may be butt ugly, but NMSU, UTEP,UNT,UTSA,Texas ST.,Rice, Arkansas St., La. Tech, ULL, and So. Miss. could be something to consider. I replaced ULM , who La. Tech would never accept, with NMSU, whom I feel sorry for.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, wardly said:

I agree that they can't recover what they lost, i.e. Big 12. But expanding their footprint doesn't seem to be the way to go, i.e. CUSA. In my opinion the AAC, CUSA, and SBC need to shrink to  regional conferences to reduce costs. The SBC has done a good job except for perhaps Texas State who might be too much of an outlier, while CUSA has done the worst by far. The AAC doesn't appear to have an interest in developing a regional conference hence their invitations to MWC schools. It seems to be a Catch 22 for G5 programs, but so both the MAC and MWC have so far stuck to their guns regarding regional conferences. It may be butt ugly, but NMSU, UTEP,UNT,UTSA,Texas ST.,Rice, Arkansas St., La. Tech, ULL, and So. Miss. could be something to consider. I replaced ULM , who La. Tech would never accept, with NMSU, whom I feel sorry for.

You can establish a bigger foot print for the a conference, but have divisions that would help with regional competition. AAC, C USA, and Sunbelt could combine under one Administration, with a playoff and championship.

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

39 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

You can establish a bigger foot print for the a conference, but have divisions that would help with regional competition. AAC, C USA, and Sunbelt could combine under one Administration, with a playoff and championship.

I’ve long argued that leagues ought to consolidate their offices. 

One issue that comes up is Championship events. Fans far from the chosen site complain. Cities generally want a multi-year deal to give favorable terms.

Easiest solution is to pick two sites and do a four year deal with each and rotate the conferences between the sites.

But the reality is it is an incredibly long shot. Everyone is going to fear the other group gets favoritism on sending press releases and doing social media and official assignments. What happens if League A thinks the commissioner needs to be replaced and League B thinks the commissioner needs a raise and extension.

Ordered realignment just isn’t happening. Someone is going to be mad and either block the vote or sue.

Sun Belt tried to get this conversation going a decade ago and got told to go pound sand. Even pitched a limited time shuffle to deal with Covid in multiple sports and told to go pound sand because there were too many “we don’t want them as a conference mate” objections. Can’t imagine why Sun Belt would now scoff at the idea.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

Just a guess but I think the AAC and SBC sees this push by CUSA as a sign of desperation. The SBC may change their tune if they lose a few key programs to the AAC. If so the SBC will try and poach a few CUSA programs and might be surprisingly successful. The ball is really in the AAC's court.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Regionalization is the way to go.  There is a lot of merit to the proposal of a new Southwest conference.

"Just one example of how this could work would be a 12-team Southwest league that would include these teams from Texas and Louisiana: Arkansas State, Louisiana, Louisiana-Monroe, Louisiana Tech, North Texas, Rice, SMU, Texas State, Tulane, UTEP and UTSA."

This is a good starting pint.  Just need to replace UL-Monroe with Tulsa.  

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Probably still a good idea, but it won’t happen for many of the reasons Arkstfan has previously posted.
The long-established Texas & Deep South intercollegiate pecking order will stop it cold in its tracks.  LaTech will never get in bed with UL & ULM.  They’d drop football first.  

🦅

Put La Tech in a different division than the two others and they would only have to play them every few years.  Maybe make it easier to swallow for them.  We don't want NMSU they have no budget for football but their basketball is decent.

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, southsideguy said:

Put La Tech in a different division than the two others and they would only have to play them every few years.  Maybe make it easier to swallow for them.  We don't want NMSU they have no budget for football but their basketball is decent.

Both NMSU and ULM have an athletic budget between $19 million and $20 million, which is OK for a 1AA program but not D1. I have long  thought that it might make more sense to create conferences based upon their athletic budget first and  geography second. In what world is ULM in the same division of University of Texas or the same conference as UNT?[ I must admit I have a soft spot for NMSU]

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, wardly said:

Both NMSU and ULM have an athletic budget between $19 million and $20 million, which is OK for a 1AA program but not D1. I have long  thought that it might make more sense to create conferences based upon their athletic budget first and  geography second. In what world is ULM in the same division of University of Texas or the same conference as UNT?[ I must admit I have a soft spot for NMSU]

FYI, North Dakota State's athletic budget is $25 million.

On 10/9/2021 at 6:57 PM, wardly said:

La. Tech would never accept, with NMSU, whom I feel sorry for.

Why won't La Tech accept ULM?   I get thumbing your nose at one of the other 2 FBS programs but both of them?  That is beyond arrogant and counter productive for your program IMO.

Edited by Mike Jackson

12 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

Why won't La Tech accept ULM?   I get thumbing your nose at one of the other 2 FBS programs but both of them?  That is beyond arrogant and counter productive for your program IMO.

About 10 years or so ago  La. Tech was invited to play in the Independence bowl. The problem was that their opponent would be ULM. They hem and hawed while trying to get into another bowl to avoid playing the War Eagles , the Independence Bowl moved on, and the Bulldogs, who had a really good team, stayed home. If memory serves we had a post from someone who had the real skinny on how this all went down but no, La, Tech will not play ULM.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, wardly said:

About 10 years or so ago  La. Tech was invited to play in the Independence bowl. The problem was that their opponent would be ULM. They hem and hawed while trying to get into another bowl to avoid playing the War Eagles , the Independence Bowl moved on, and the Bulldogs, who had a really good team, stayed home. If memory serves we had a post from someone who had the real skinny on how this all went down but no, La, Tech will not play ULM.

SB Nation: Louisiana Tech Refuses to Play ULM in Independence Bowl

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, wardly said:

14 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Next level pettiness. Hilarious

18 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

La Tech has tended to really dominate ULM in non-conference competition but when they’ve been in the same conference ULM has had the upper hand. If Tech can’t sell having a better affiliation ULM has out-performed them. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1