End of 3’rd Quarter Sing-Along at Apogee? Pick-1-Song from NT Exes R.Orbison-P.Boone-D.Henley-EYoungBand-Meatloaf-B.Fuller, etc...

PlummMeanGreen

SUMG told me Florida Gator fans are having a blast singing favorite son the late Tom Petty’s hit “I Won’t Back Down.” They’ve made it an every game tradition by singing it at the end of the 3’rd quarter. 

🎶🎶🎶  UNT alums who made it big in the music world collectively have a large songbook of songs.  Wonder which one song the UNT College of Music students might pick if we emulated the Gator Nation & sang it at the end of the 3’rd quarter?    Or which one song UNT alums on GMG & Mean Green fans would pick?  

I pick UNT alum Bobby Fullers big hit covered by many other recording artists & that is “I Fought the Law (but the Law won).” 

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 3

• PlummMeanGreen changed the title to End of 3’rd Quarter Sing-Along @ Apogee? Pick-1-Song from NT Exes R.Orbison-P.Boone-D.Henley -Norah J-Meatloaf-B.Fuller, etc...

I do agree that "Hey Baby" should be replaced, not only to feature a song by an alumnus, but also because it's a buzzkill.  My choice would Roy Orbison's "Pretty Woman".  Yeah, it's still kind of a love song, but its more up-tempo, especially if it's played with a bit of a Van Halen flavor.  And, everyone can still sing along.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

• PlummMeanGreen changed the title to End of 3’rd Quarter Sing-Along at Apogee? Pick-1-Song from NT Exes R.Orbison-P.Boone-D.Henley -Norah J-Meatloaf-B.Fuller, etc...

“The North Texas fans here today at Apogee Stadium are serenading us to the tune of PrettyWoman, an iconic song made famous by North Texas alum, Roy Orbison.”

”I thought Joe Greene was the only famous alumnus from UNT.”

”I guess there’s a lot we don’t know about North Texas.”

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1

• PlummMeanGreen changed the title to End of 3’rd Quarter Sing-Along at Apogee? Pick-1-Song from NT Exes R.Orbison-P.Boone-D.Henley-EYoungBand-Meatloaf-B.Fuller, etc...

Didn’t want to leave this UNT alum off the list.  A Dallas co-worker of mine back in the day was a classmate of Michael Martin Murphy at Adamson HS in south Dallas.

She told me Michael studied Greek at UNT. (She was a big fan of his). I had heard he was a real hellion in Denton.😆

He performed folk music gigs off Fry Street & elsewhere in Denton.  Today MMM is a cowboy singer & has an annual Christmas concert at Bass Hall, Fort Worth. His “Wildfire” is a big song favorite across the USA.  (Murphy would later transfer to USC—I guess Denton was not hip enough for him).

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1

If anyone’s interested in some more recent UNT grads who made it big in music, Snarky Puppy is a massive modern jazz band that’s doing great things, parquet courts is a post-punk band that met at UNT, midlakes is a soft rock band from the aughts that did alright (and they own the speakeasy in Denton!), neon Indian is an electronic/dance artist, tobe nwigwe is a rapper, lecrae is a Christian rapper, and I think there’s a few others…

feels worth mentioning some other more recent alumnus who did well with their bands too!

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, denton_days said:

If anyone’s interested in some more recent UNT grads who made it big in music, Snarky Puppy is a massive modern jazz band that’s doing great things, parquet courts is a post-punk band that met at UNT, midlakes is a soft rock band from the aughts that did alright (and they own the speakeasy in Denton!), neon Indian is an electronic/dance artist, tobe nwigwe is a rapper, lecrae is a Christian rapper, and I think there’s a few others…

feels worth mentioning some other more recent alumnus who did well with their bands too!

Thanks. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

47 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

UNT alum Pat Boone sang the national anthem at the Apogee Stadium debut game vs the UH Coogs (& I cannot find a video of that anywhere). 
••• Someone told me all 4 of his & Shirley’s daughters were born at Denton’s late great Flow Memorial Hospital.  
••• Back in the 70’s Boone came back to campus & put on sort of a “Memories of UNT” show in the old Men’s gym.  
••• While a UNT student the religious PB served as a layman pastor at a Church of Christ (his former denomination) in Slidell, Texas.
•••This hilarious video showed Boone was a good sport about his toupe (which became more famous after this show).😱

🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Norah Jones - Don’t Know Why

It's fitting because when I watch our beloveded UNT football team, I get very confused and all I have is questions... 

Don't know why we go down by 4 scores before halftime.

Don't know why we can't convert on 4th & 1.

Don't know why we put ourselves through this every year.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, C Rod said:

Norah Jones - Don’t Know Why

It's fitting because when I watch our beloveded UNT football team, I get very confused and all I have is questions... 

Don't know why we go down by 4 scores before halftime.

Don't know why we can't convert on 4th & 1.

Don't know why we put ourselves through this every year.

🤔Why?  

You know exactly why, C Rod.😊  It’s because we are passionate Mean Green fans who give a damn about our college alma mater’s football program—some who’ve been passionate many more MG seasons than others. I’m in the middle of that group, but catching up to the Older Nestors crowd real fast—too fast.

• Upvote 1