US Kids Still In Afghanistan--Principal Gets 3 Out. Administration Contemplates Collective Navel, Has Other Priorities

Ridiculous.  Shameful.

Sacramento Bee:

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article254412638.html

"San Juan Unified School District officials last week said 41 students were trapped in Afghanistan — a sharp increase from the two-dozen-or-so the district had previously identified. Of the 41 kids, three were evacuated over the weekend from the war-torn country but remain overseas, district officials said."

LA Times story on college student's status for Fulbright scholarship:

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2021-10-05/afghanistan-fulbright-program

Jim Garaghty comments:

"Why are we relying on elementary-school principals to help get American citizens out of a country run by hostile extremists? America really does expect its educators to do too much. People become teachers and principals because they want to help people, but managing an overseas hostage-rescue operation is asking far too much.

What do we have a federal government for? What is its purpose? What duties should it prioritize?

Why is the federal government under President Biden contemplating creating a “Civilian Climate Corps,” building 500,000 electric-vehicle-charging stations, upgrading 4 million commercial buildings, offering cash rebates for purchasing energy-efficient appliances, and hiring 87,000 new IRS agents . . . when it is failing its most basic duty of getting our citizens out of harm’s way overseas?

Before our government expands into vast new responsibilities and duties, is it too much to ask that it complete the task on this duty?"

https://www.nationalreview.com/the-morning-jolt/dozens-of-american-children-remain-trapped-in-afghanistan-and-biden-moves-on/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=MJ_20211006&utm_term=Jolt-Smart

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 3

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

I would love to hear the justification from the two people that gave this a “rolled eyes” vote.  I guess they think this is acceptable. 

I don't think anyone is rolling their eyes about leaving people behind, but more likely are rolling their eyes at how this issue was sensationalized to criticize the federal government for working on environmental things and other liberal policy. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, denton_days said:

I don't think anyone is rolling their eyes about leaving people behind, but more likely are rolling their eyes at how this issue was sensationalized to criticize the federal government for working on environmental things and other liberal policy. 

I don't get that from Geraghty's Op-Ed.

To me, the key phrase is--"What do we have a federal government for? ...What duties should it prioritize?

I think the priority above all else, and communication coming out of DC should be nothing but: "We are getting our folks the HELL out of Afghanistan, whatever it takes."

That's it.  That should be at the top of the honey-do list, and every media outlet should be hammering it until it's done.

The "environmental things and other liberal policy" are all well and good.  Not the job of the government, in my opinion.  Those are noble goals, etc., etc., but that's a different topic and I want to avoid politics. 

What is remarkable to me about the Op-Ed is that there are private entities scratching and clawing desperately to get people out of that nightmare, but the vibe is that it seems like our leaders have simply bailed on the whole deal and moved on.

Am I reading it wrong or are we as a nation really this feckless?

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 3

18 hours ago, LongJim said:

The "environmental things and other liberal policy" are all well and good.  Not the job of the government, in my opinion.  Those are noble goals, etc., etc., but that's a different topic and I want to avoid politics

That’s what I was pointing out - people were rolling their eyes at this post because the things mentioned are different topics and not relevant.

• Upvote 1