Tiger Talk: An early look at Mizzou vs. North Texas

Jonnyeagle

Player to Watch

Another week, another prolific running back for the Tigers to tackle. North Texas’ DeAndre Torrey comes into Saturday’s game ranked No. 3 in the country in rushing, averaging 129 yards per game. He’s averaged 5.7 yards per attempt and scored four touchdowns for the Mean Green. The bulk of his production came in a Week 1 victory over FCS opponent Northwestern State (244 yards, three touchdowns), but he’s coming off a 119-yard game against Louisiana Tech. The 5-foot-7, 199-pound senior is in his fourth season at UNT after arriving from junior college.

read more:  https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/tiger-talk-an-early-look-at-mizzou-vs-north-texas/article_903ec42b-e768-58e2-8f54-e5b692668394.html

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

I wonder what NT genius managed to schedule a 1 home, 3 away series with Missouri?

Tough to know how Mo. will recover from last week's getting stomped.  With NT's luck they will be infuriated and ready to take it out on the Mean Green. 

I am almost positive that this game was scheduled separately from the 2 for 1 series that starts in 2030. In the Covid era it all kind of runs together in my mind but I think we signed that deal in the spring of 2020 after this game was already scheduled. I could be wrong.

It's hard to say how Mizzou will respond. Our defense is absolutely our big weakness right now and our best cover corner, Ennis Rakestraw, who played HS ball at Duncanville, tore his ACL yesterday in practice so now we have to replace him. I know UNT has had a ton of injuries this year too but it's another obstacle for the Tigers to try and overcome.

• Upvote 3

This week's game was booked several years ago by the previous AD, who had us playing these kinds of games once a year.  The current AD has gotten us out of that business, all contracts are now home-and-home, including the NT-Mizzou set in 2030-2031.  After this week, we will have only one unreturned game left, at Wisconsin in 2025.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Texas Stranger said:

This week's game was booked several years ago by the previous AD, who had us playing these kinds of games once a year.  The current AD has gotten us out of that business, all contracts are now home-and-home, including the NT-Mizzou set in 2030-2031.  After this week, we will have only one unreturned game left, at Wisconsin in 2025.

The same guy who said if we didn't spell out North Texas on the side of our helmets that no one would know who we were?

Very unfortunate Rakestraw tore his ACL, he is quite the talent. I believe there was a rumor on this forum after Rakestraw's recruitment blew up during his senior year that he had originally wanted to commit here. Could be wrong, and I doubt he would have stuck but you never know, another missed opportunity by Littrell and co.

While I'm on that subject I have become good friends with the parent of a local kid who went P5, I will do my best to be vague but not only would his son be playing here if we had even tried but I also heard of specific recruits from Denton schools that wanted to do the same and were largely ignored. He didn't have many good things to say.

• Skeptical Eagle 1