DRC: UNT depth chart for Missouri -- Aune is back as QB starter

Brett Vito

FA8kguOXoAAkDjt?format=png&name=900x900

Wow! 
Offensively, what on Earth is going on with Caleb Johnson?  He was leapfrogged by McMillan.   Khatib Lyles?   These guys were highly-recruited guys!   Also, I would really try and find a way to get both Burns & Thompson on the field at the same time.  These guys are both ballers & probably the two best receivers we have healthy right now.
Blair getting baptized by fire this season, but he's going to be All-conference & get drafted by the time he's done here (if he's not vultured via the transfer portal like Siggers), mark my words.

Defensively, some serious frustration from me as I was calling for Nixon and Stout since preseason.  Both guys will upgrade the defense, starting this week.
And outside of the Murphy's, we have virtually no pass rushers on the outside.  Scary how thin we are out there.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Some people on this board are either gonna feel vindicated or crawl in a hole after this game. 

but if Aune turns in a stinker, might as well throw someone out there we haven’t seen for Marshall. 

I'm inclined to agree. 
If Aune sucks, let's just see if Martin or Gilmore might be "gametime" QBs, and just not impressing during  practice.
But we'll have to see what Aune's OL and receivers do for him too.   Poor protection and drops have been hurting both QBs.   Now we have a reeling SEC team looking to get back on track against us.  They'll be licking their chops to tear Aune up for sure.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

FA8kguOXoAAkDjt?format=png&name=900x900

Wow! 
Offensively, what on Earth is going on with Caleb Johnson?  He was leapfrogged by McMillan.   Khatib Lyles?   These guys were highly-recruited guys!   Also, I would really try and find a way to get both Burns & Thompson on the field at the same time.  These guys are both ballers & probably the two best receivers we have healthy right now.

Technically I think Johnson is a slot so not so much leapfrogged by McMillan but definitely agree it’s head scratching to not see him or Lyles getting any looks in the slot. Last two weeks with Thompson out seemed as good a chance as ever for them.

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

And outside of the Murphy's, we have virtually no pass rushers on the outside.  Scary how thin we are out there.

Honestly I would like to see more Kameron Hill. I’ve really liked what I’ve seen from him. The penalties from Gabriel have been killer.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'm inclined to agree. 
If Aune sucks, let's just see if Martin or Gilmore might be "gametime" QBs, and just not impressing during  practice.
But we'll have to see what Aune's OL and receivers do for him too.   Poor protection and drops have been hurting both QBs.   Now we have a reeling SEC team looking to get back on track against us.  They'll be licking their chops to tear Aune up for sure.

I would be thrilled if Aune can come in and complete a decent percentage of passes (60+%). I just don't understand why we haven't been able to find baseline capability at QB in an Air Raid offense since Mason left. I get not being able to replace Fine, but I refuse to accept it's THIS hard, especially with all the transfers these days. We have two QBs with really rough mechanics and they've been in the game a while.

So hopefully Aune looks like he suddenly turned a page and is amazing, but if not, then I'm definitely turning MY sights elsewhere for the last few games of the season. But if we're not laying complete eggs, I doubt Littrell makes a real move. He'll probably just jerk back and forth between Ruder and Aune until the end of the year like he did last year.

So for all of our sanity and the sake of our program, I hope Aune goes out there and completes 70% of his passes and throws 5 TDs vs Mizzou. I really don't want to feel like we're still searching for answers at the most important position to get right.

If that doesn't happen, I'll be counting down until the last 4 games of the season when we won't be burning Drummond's RS, so maybe we can start looking to the future. But I'm probably kidding myself.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Some people on this board are either gonna feel vindicated or crawl in a hole after this game. 

but if Aune turns in a stinker, might as well throw someone out there we haven’t seen for Marshall. 

If he has a stinker, he and Ruder should probably fire up that transfer portal. 

18 hours ago, Monkeypox said:

I would be thrilled if Aune can come in and complete a decent percentage of passes (60+%). I just don't understand why we haven't been able to find baseline capability at QB in an Air Raid offense since Mason left. I get not being able to replace Fine, but I refuse to accept it's THIS hard, especially with all the transfers these days. We have two QBs with really rough mechanics and they've been in the game a while.

So hopefully Aune looks like he suddenly turned a page and is amazing, but if not, then I'm definitely turning MY sights elsewhere for the last few games of the season. But if we're not laying complete eggs, I doubt Littrell makes a real move. He'll probably just jerk back and forth between Ruder and Aune until the end of the year like he did last year.

So for all of our sanity and the sake of our program, I hope Aune goes out there and completes 70% of his passes and throws 5 TDs vs Mizzou. I really don't want to feel like we're still searching for answers at the most important position to get right.

If that doesn't happen, I'll be counting down until the last 4 games of the season when we won't be burning Drummond's RS, so maybe we can start looking to the future. But I'm probably kidding myself.

I mean we went from Harrell to what coaching them? This is most likely where the problem lies.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Technically I think Johnson is a slot so not so much leapfrogged by McMillan but definitely agree it’s head scratching to not see him or Lyles getting any looks in the slot. Last two weeks with Thompson out seemed as good a chance as ever for them.

Honestly I would like to see more Kameron Hill. I’ve really liked what I’ve seen from him. The penalties from Gabriel have been killer.

You know why Gabe and Grayson have been getting penalties? Because they are undisciplined, and that should be falling on coaching. Overall, most of the team is extremely undisciplined, but the Murphy twins are so electric, nobody has taught them how to control themselves.

So much raw talent, but either are too stubborn to progress (doubt that) or not coaches properly and disciplined for making those plays.

• Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

NTSN, what is the latest skinny on Bryce Drummond?  How’s he looking at practice, his mechanics at the college level, etc.? 

🦅

I’m not really sure but he’s red shirted. He needed a year to get used to the system, but from fall camp, his mechanics looked pretty solid. He has resources to be successful.

If I’m Littrell I have to know deep down if I keep going with what I’ve had at QB how is it going to turn around?

Throw Martin or Drummond out. What if one of them provides a spark? D is playing ok.  Drummond could be the 2nd coming of Fine. Who knows?

Littrell’s more than likely gone anyway after this season. Might as well go down swinging. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

If I’m Littrell I have to know deep down if I keep going with what I’ve had at QB how is it going to turn around?

Throw Martin or Drummond out. What if one of them provides a spark? D is playing ok.  Drummond could be the 2nd coming of Fine. Who knows?

Littrell’s more than likely gone anyway after this season. Might as well go down swinging. 

Let Aune actually start.  See what he can do with a full game.  He almost brought the team back VS LATech.

And believe me, Baker will be watching to see if Littrell tries to burn the boats on his way down.  He’ll nip that in the bud.

• Eye Roll 1