Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

Mizzou….


Recommended Posts

If Aune was running all first team reps last week and the coming game week, I could see him getting up to the best level we saw of him last year. If he plays at that level and the defense plays like the first half of the SMU game, we will win. Those are big ifs though.

Edit: The receivers would actually need to catch all balls that hit them in the hands on top of the above for us to win.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 my son and I are attending the game Saturday with Mizzou alum friends. Looking forward to being in another stadium for the first time, and appreciate your insights. Weather will be great. Here's to a game that is fun to watch.

 

GMG

Edited by untcampbell
  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, untcampbell said:

 my son and I are attending the game Saturday with Mizzou alum friends. Looking forward to being in another stadium for the first time, and appreciate your insights. Weather will be great. Here's to a game that is fun to watch.

 

GMG

 

We're just happy it isn't another 11 AM game. Honestly if it wasn't our Homecoming game (we take it serious in CoMo because we invented the thing) it probably would be another 11 AM kickoff. Our atmosphere probably won't be too great, but again with it being Homecoming we will probably have a larger turnout than the Tennessee game weirdly enough. The Homecoming parade is generally pretty long so there will be a pretty large crowd in downtown CoMo that morning. I don't know if that is something you would like to experience or avoid but for a 2-3 team and a crowd of ~50,000 at the game, it is something to factor in with your pregame plans.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MIZ-417 said:

Mizzou fan here. Not really sure what to expect on Saturday. We've had a pretty frustrating season thus far: two losses by a TD to Kentucky and Boston College and then we were trounced (as you all noted) by a Tennessee team when we were a 2.5 point favorite. 

I obviously remember the game in 2018 I believe when you all took it to Arkansas and the punt return. Fun stuff. I have seen some references (here and on social media) to that game and honestly that really stings as a comparison. We beat that Arkansas team 38-0 and it is humbling to think our 2021 squad is being compared to 2-10 2018 Arkansas. Remains to be seen if that is a valid comp. I have to admit that I do not know at ton about the 2021 North Texas team. Or really the program in general unfortunately. That 2018 UNT team seemed pretty good. Dominated Arkansas, beat SMU. I don't know a ton about the apparent fall off since then.

From afar, I really liked the Seth Littrell hire. We had a coaching change at the end of 2015 and a lot of folks were hoping that Barry Odom would bring him in as our offensive coordinator. Also I am a huge fan of Wren Baker. Definitely wouldn't have minded it if he would have been named our AD. I am cool with the hire we made though.

Switching back to Saturday, we fired our DL coach on Sunday and just had the first press conference since then with our HC Eli Drinkwitz. He sounded like a 2-3 coach with a team that more was expected from. No depth chart this week because those spots need to be earned at practice today and tomorrow. That kind of thing. The media was looking back at the Tennessee game more than asking a ton of questions about North Texas but Eli mentioned some similarities between Tennessee and the Mean Green on offense. We struggled mightily with the Vols tempo on Saturday and he mentioned that you all hadn't played at a really fast pace this year but after our film from Saturday that we are preparing for North Texas to attack us similarly.

Anyhow, I was thinking we were playing down in Denton soon but I got this game confused with the series we are playing in like 2029 or something. I believe we travel down there in 2030 so if I am alive and functioning well and stuff I certainly would anticipate being down there for that. See you all then.

Sadly, this North Texas team is nothing like the one that clobbered Arkansas (before slinking back into mediocrity or worse).

Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Venson said:

https://www.secsports.com/video/sport/football/401282101/32345097

His last statement should at least get the players fired up. He basically is saying North Texas is not going to beat them if they don't beat themselves. Maybe true, but if I was a player that would light a fire under my @$$.

I don't think he is saying that. I think you could take out North Texas and insert any opponent in that space and it makes sense regardless if we are facing Denton Ryan or the Dallas Cowboys this week.

Here's the transcription of his answer to that particular question in full:

“Yeah, they’ve got an aggressive, multiple front defense. Phil Bennett has been a defensive coordinator and a head coach, and he does a really good job of mixing in pressure with zone, and he's got both odd and even fronts, drop eight, zeroes. So it's always a difficult challenge to have an answer for all of it. Offensively, they run a similar style to Tennessee. Not as much tempo, but after what happened last week, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't pick it up. RPOs, run pass options. And so it's a challenge. Every week is a challenge, but for us the biggest challenges is not going to be North Texas, it's going to be us, and making sure that we have the right frame of mind and play at a high level.”

And here is another response to a question where he was asked about being a 20 point favorite in the game:

“I don’t ever worry about the spread. I'll worry about what I see on tape, and it's gonna be a difficult matchup. So it's gonna be exactly what our weaknesses are versus their strengths. That’s what good coaches do. So we’ll find out early.”

 

I suppose he could have more eloquently made his point but I think you are really parsing things to interpret them as being disrespectful of UNT. Maybe they are overconfident and not taking this week seriously (they aren't for the record) but I don't think anything Eli said today would be indicative of that attitude. Just my opinion though.

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, MIZ-417 said:

Mizzou fan here. Not really sure what to expect on Saturday. We've had a pretty frustrating season thus far: two losses by a TD to Kentucky and Boston College and then we were trounced (as you all noted) by a Tennessee team when we were a 2.5 point favorite. 

I obviously remember the game in 2018 I believe when you all took it to Arkansas and the punt return. Fun stuff. I have seen some references (here and on social media) to that game and honestly that really stings as a comparison. We beat that Arkansas team 38-0 and it is humbling to think our 2021 squad is being compared to 2-10 2018 Arkansas. Remains to be seen if that is a valid comp. I have to admit that I do not know at ton about the 2021 North Texas team. Or really the program in general unfortunately. That 2018 UNT team seemed pretty good. Dominated Arkansas, beat SMU. I don't know a ton about the apparent fall off since then.

From afar, I really liked the Seth Littrell hire. We had a coaching change at the end of 2015 and a lot of folks were hoping that Barry Odom would bring him in as our offensive coordinator. Also I am a huge fan of Wren Baker. Definitely wouldn't have minded it if he would have been named our AD. I am cool with the hire we made though.

Switching back to Saturday, we fired our DL coach on Sunday and just had the first press conference since then with our HC Eli Drinkwitz. He sounded like a 2-3 coach with a team that more was expected from. No depth chart this week because those spots need to be earned at practice today and tomorrow. That kind of thing. The media was looking back at the Tennessee game more than asking a ton of questions about North Texas but Eli mentioned some similarities between Tennessee and the Mean Green on offense. We struggled mightily with the Vols tempo on Saturday and he mentioned that you all hadn't played at a really fast pace this year but after our film from Saturday that we are preparing for North Texas to attack us similarly.

Anyhow, I was thinking we were playing down in Denton soon but I got this game confused with the series we are playing in like 2029 or something. I believe we travel down there in 2030 so if I am alive and functioning well and stuff I certainly would anticipate being down there for that. See you all then.

Thanks for stopping by, and if you happened to see anyone on here trying to compare this game to the 2018 Arkansas game, I apologize for that really stupid member.   We all know that is not a valid comparison, at all. That 2018 Arkansas team would rip this Mean Green team apart.

Enjoy the game, and homecoming (being scheduled as someone's homecoming is a slap in the face, but we haven't proven we shouldn't be.) this weekend.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Thanks for stopping by, and if you happened to see anyone on here trying to compare this game to the 2018 Arkansas game, I apologize for that really stupid member.   We all know that is not a valid comparison, at all. That 2018 Arkansas team would rip this Mean Green team apart.

Enjoy the game, and homecoming (being scheduled as someone's homecoming is a slap in the face, but we haven't proven we shouldn't be.) this weekend.

 

I don't think it is necessarily a bad comparison, it's just humbling from a Mizzou perspective that we have looked a lot worse as a team in the span of just a couple weeks. I get it. I don't feel all that qualified to comment on the struggles of UNT the last few years under Littrell. Obviously you all have a lot more knowledge on that than I do. From where I sit, Apogee Stadium looks pretty nice and I think you all have the location/facilities/fan base to expect better results. After this week, I will be rooting for UNT to beat Marshall, win a lot of games in CUSA, and wishing you all well in the world of conference realignment. 

Edited by MIZ-417
  • Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/3/2021 at 12:33 PM, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

We are their super bowl, they are gonna bring the energy. If they, somehow, stay undefeated going into our game, I really hope we crush their dreams

After topping Illinois and Memphis we have the highest probability of them looking past us rather than being their super bowl. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, MDH said:

After topping Illinois and Memphis we have the highest probability of them looking past us rather than being their super bowl. 

Unfortunately, they'll never look past us because they've got 'little brother' issues with us.   We're going to get their 100% best, and it's likely going to be a bloodbath, unless they happen to get too amped up.   

They "looked past" 0-5 UNLV, and almost got burned this past weekend.  I don't think they're going to look past anyone else.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.