UAB New Stadium

MeanGreen_MBA

25 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

The only thing I don’t like, being a multi-functional facility, the space between the sidelines and bleachers is huge  much bigger than the old Fouts Field  not so intimate or intimidating.

Dealbreaker right there.  If we could have closed that gap at Fouts, I would have been okay with staying at Fouts.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Ray 1
  • RV 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Fouts Field:

I think it was FFR who once told me that from the lower section 50 yard line Fouts seating to the 50 yard mark on the football field was a distance of between 45-50 yards.  
The track made Mean Green fans so doggone far from the action of a football game.  Crowd noise accoustics were terrible.  
I never-ever  liked Fouts Field & we waited too long to build Apogee. Timing can be everything with such things—I defer to UAB. 

Saw the Oak Ridge Boys, Lorie Morgan, etc  there one evening & it was OK for that.

🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Looks like a great stadium, but man those seats look farrrr from the field. 

They do!!

At Apogee the fans are right on top of the playing field. It’s almost like you can reach over and shake hands with the fans on the opposite side of the field. 

If we ever did put an upper deck on the student side it would almost seem like it is hovering over the field. 

Advantage Apogee.  

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Fouts Field:

I think it was FFR who once told me that from the lower section 50 yard line Fouts seating to the 50 yard mark on the football field was a distance of between 45-50 yards.  
The track made Mean Green fans so doggone far from the action of a football game.  Crowd noise accoustics were terrible.  

Maybe he was measuring from the back of the lower section.  Regardless, it was a long distance.  What was worse was the distance from the endzone seats to the field.  Yikes.

Screen%20shot%202012-08-28%20at%205.07.0

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

that's a great part of Birmingham....a lot of new stuff down there. Top Golf right next to it...lots of entertainment. That Bowl game they have there will definitely be a destination. Lots of fun.

In the 1930’s(?) Amon Carter wanted to make Fort Worth “the fun city of this part of Texas” compared to his city’s chief rival of Dallas—who he truly hated (see below link);  so Ol’ Amon Boy imported fun to Cowtown & as I recall reading had Casa Manana built, too.
I always thought if Texas got tired of NY’s Broadway getting all the over the top praise, that Texas would somehow create its own version of Broadway.  (Maybe Austin has that in mind)? 
It’s a shame we couldn’t import a Fry Street 2.0 over to the Apogee area & make it our own version of UT’s 6’th Street.

Since the Lazarus of CUSA returned from the dead, UAB has dominated what seems like a weak conference that even our own Commissioner can’t seem to really get excited about.  Look for our next “live” TV-like coverage to come from Indian smoke signals. Hey! We will have a corner of the smoke signals market!  Yea, Judy!  You are our messiah! 

•••Sarcasm is a way to use words to wack somebody over the head.

Amon Carter link:https://fwtx.com/culture/play-about-fort-worth-icon-amon-carter-to-make-dallas-county/

❇️🦅❇️ Still Mean Green Proud (but a few more wins would be nice).😉

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, meangreenbob said:

They do!!

At Apogee the fans are right on top of the playing field. It’s almost like you can reach over and shake hands with the fans on the opposite side of the field. 

If we ever did put an upper deck on the student side it would almost seem like it is hovering over the field. 

Advantage Apogee.  

I can think of a few stadiums where you are about on top of the players like Oklahoma State and Rice. You are like inches away from the players

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I can think of a few stadiums where you are about on top of the players like Oklahoma State and Rice. You are like inches away from the players

At Rice, don’t sit in the front row.  You are inches from the players, but also ground level.  Down in front!

• Upvote 1

It seems Apogee has more brick & concrete than some of the newer stadiums.  I’m sure Apogee’s expansion will continue with that trend.  I really like Apogee Stadium. For many of us it was 💚love at first sight (that’s still raging today).  

••• Some have been curious why the veranda (attached to the Athletic Center) seemed to play no part in being part of Apogee—at least for now. I guess the large video screen obviously cancelled that?

A more recent (more hip) video review of fabulous Apogee Stadium

Apogee’s most recent turf renovation

A Mean Green Quickie! 😳

From the Very Far Side: 👽 
One non-Mean Greener’s Idea of an expanded Apogee Stadium.
(Some of his ideas actually looks legit—but not the one for a 90,000 seat Apogee Stadium). 

❇️

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2