Realignment Update

TheReal_jayD

Gonzaga makes the most sense for hoops.  I dont see Rice because they might get a little more attention from the AAC, and regionally they might like that better.  I do think the MWC is looking at DFW, but does that mean UNT?  I could also see them interested in SMU (especially with the AAC falling apart).

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

If I'm UNT leadership, I'm selling size.

Money is a big part of this, and if I'm the MWC is looking at DFW for the media and recruiting market, I also want to know what portion of that market has the potential to be invested in the team. When looking at SMU's student and alumni population vs. North Texas' student and alumni population, North Texas is the clear winner to me.

Sure, some on this board will say, "BuT oUr AlUmNi AnD sTuDeNtS dOn'T cArE!"

And they're right—we've posted too many losing seasons in the past decade to build momentum. So, the pitch is in the potential. We have the potential to sell A LOT more (tickets, merchandise, concessions, etc.) than SMU. 

I think the MWC got a glimpse of what the sleeping giant could be in 2014 at the Heart of Dallas Bowl against UNLV. The Cotton Bowl was full of green that day.

I agree 100%

However UNT has never been able to capitalize on its size

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, xyresic said:

He was key to getting Hawaii into the MWC:

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2010/11/19/hawaii-news/uh-leaving-wac/

nod-agree.gif
Wow.  That's quite a deep dive article to reference!

Not sure how many of the same presidents are still around from 2010, but I like this part a lot:
"Smatresk was UH’s chief academic officer from 2004-07 when he left for UNLV, where he became president in 2009 and now occupies a key role with the MWC Board of Directors."

9 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

nod-agree.gif
Wow.  That's quite a deep dive article to reference!

Not sure how many of the same presidents are still around from 2010, but I like this part a lot:
"Smatresk was UH’s chief academic officer from 2004-07 when he left for UNLV, where he became president in 2009 and now occupies a key role with the MWC Board of Directors."

Ha - I got sucked into the internet vortex reading old stuff about the MWC CUSA tie up to make a 18 to 24 team super conference.

Edited by xyresic
  • Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

That was so stupid

I saw some parallels to what is happening with the recent AAC poaching, at that time the MWC was going to be losing TCU, SDSU and Boise before things settled down a bit. Once the deal got scrapped and the flood of teams left CUSA it paved the way for us to get into CUSA.

Edited by xyresic