Very encouraging comment by Air Force post AAC denial

Jonnyeagle

9 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Nightmare scenario - MWC add Rice, UTSA, Tulane, and SMU 

No, the nightmare is the AAC keeping SMU while inviting UTSA to join and the MWC inviting anyone besides us to join from CUSA West. That's the doomsday scenario. And if La Tech somehow gets invited to go back West without us, I think I will give up...

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 2

2 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

No, the nightmare is the AAC keeping SMU while inviting UTSA to join and the MWC inviting anyone besides us to join from CUSA West. That's the doomsday scenario. And if La Tech somehow gets invited to go back West without us, I think I will give up...

If any one of these doomsday scenarios happen, and NT somehow gets left in C-USA, the blame can be squarely put on the product we've put on the gridiron over the past 3 years.   I don't think this will happen though.

• Upvote 7
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Just now, untjim1995 said:

Uh, don’t give them any ideas.🙃

We seem to all function like po’ wayfarin’ strangers on this board at times.  

We really do need something good happening for all of the Mean Green Nation & that to happen real soon.  

• Eye Roll 1

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If any one of these doomsday scenarios happen, and NT somehow gets left in C-USA, the blame can be squarely put on the product we've put on the gridiron over the past 3 years.   I don't think this will happen though.

I doubt it will happen, either, just because of the size of our school and the size of the DFW market. But make no mistake about this, the MWC is our only lifeline here. If we cannot get into it, we are stuck in some kind of SBCUSA setup that just will never move us upward. We know this...the MWC gives us a chance to be something bigger. We may not be able to do anything with that opportunity, but its definitely worth the chance...

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I'm not sure how La Tech qualifies as "bigger markets."

Reading the tea leaves, my feeling is that CSU and AFA were assured that bigger markets will be added to MWC immediately. That would mean UNT and UTSA. In the past, Rice would be a shoe in. These days, I feel like their lack of focus on athletics has them on the outside looking in.

• Upvote 7

6 minutes ago, ColoradoEagle said:

Reading the tea leaves, my feeling is that CSU and AFA were assured that bigger markets will be added to MWC immediately. That would mean UNT and UTSA. In the past, Rice would be a shoe in. These days, I feel like their lack of focus on athletics has them on the outside looking in.

Wouldn't be surprised to see them get invited to the AAC. Conference needs to keep a foot in Houston and I'm sure SMU, Tulsa, and Tulane will vouch for their private school buddy. 

• Upvote 6

14 minutes ago, ColoradoEagle said:

Possibly, but I think it had more to do with backlash they were receiving from school admin, alumni, and sponsors.  

12 minutes ago, ColoradoEagle said:

Gotta be, right?   This makes sense (fulfilling both "bigger markets", and geographic proximity as far as available schools go) for sure, and McMurphy already floated NT-to-MWC out there beforehand. 

5 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see them get invited to the AAC. Conference needs to keep a foot in Houston and I'm sure SMU, Tulsa, and Tulane will vouch for their private school buddy. 

This, to me, seems like a no-brainer, and would be the real roadblock for NT-to-AAC (if the MWC decides to stay pat).   I'm sure East Carolina and South Florida wouldn't mind adding another directional big state school in their conference, but that private school voting block would much rather see their old pal Rice than us.

• Upvote 2

On 10/1/2021 at 12:54 PM, MeanGreenTexan said:

"Aresco issued a statement Friday saying the AAC had not offered membership to any schools"
Lol,  yeah right Mike.

LOL, yeah, that's like me and dating.  I'll ask a lady if she would be interested in grabbing drinks, and when she says no, I just say, "I never actually asked her out."

Whatever helps him sleep at night.

Edited by Rudy
  • Haha 5

21 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

So how good was the product on the gridiron when we got invited to move up (it was upward at the time) to Conference USA?  We were in much worse shape in on-field performance then than we have been of late.  I think we imagine too much focus on football performance in conference realignment.  We had 8 straight years of losing record football before moving into C-USA.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/north-texas/index.html

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

So how good was the product on the gridiron when we got invited to move up (it was upward at the time) to Conference USA?  We were in much worse shape in on-field performance then than we have been of late.  I think we imagine too much focus on football performance in conference realignment.  We had 8 straight years of losing record football before moving into C-USA.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/north-texas/index.html

Exactly.  You’re making my point even stronger.

NT has so many great things going…. IF we get left behind in all the shuffling, it’s because the football team is not winning.  Literally EVERYTHING ELSE about our athletic department, from facilities, to budget, to winning teams... is top notch when it come to comparisons to peer institutions in both MWC & AAC!

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Exactly.  You’re making my point even stronger.

NT has so many great things going…. IF we get left behind in all the shuffling, it’s because the football team is not winning.  Literally EVERYTHING ELSE about our athletic department, from facilities, to budget, to winning teams... is top notch when it come to comparisons to peer institutions in both MWC & AAC!

I don’t follow your logic.  So facilities, budget, and other sports were able to make up for poor football play 10 years ago but can’t make up for it now?   Doesn’t make sense.  

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

I don’t follow your logic.  So facilities, budget, and other sports were able to make up for poor football play 10 years ago but can’t make up for it now?   Doesn’t make sense.  

Wonder if there’s a little buyers remorse from conferences who thought UAB was the cock of the walk; that is, UAB with their “a little over half-filled new stadium” debut last night?  That coupled with the massacre they received at the hands of Malik Willis &    
the 🕺🏼“Independent”💃 LU Flames?  
   Damn!  MW was impressive.  I thought I was watching UT’s Vince Young all over again.

🤢MG fans:  Bring those rosaries en mass (even if your Protestant) to Apogee when we play a Liberty U who’ll probably be ranked in the Top 25  at Game Time.  
••• Rumor has it UNT will have a guest celebrity for the LU game. 

8C7C5BDE-D45B-4843-AC10-E9BDF4DCDFCC.jpeg.4f6cf382b5076a832f63c8f85da0f805.jpeg16364AE0-8B50-4BE5-9BEE-E27C4F858D27.jpeg.9ba1bfc1eaf2feffdac8deebc0b33acb.jpeg

🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen