UNT Now Ranked 4’th Largest University in Texas: Dr. Smatresk & AD Baker Should Still Meet With AAC Commish’ Aresca.

PlummMeanGreen

UNT is now only behind UT, TAMU & UH 
as the 4’th largest university in the Lone Star State.  
••• A 50,000 student enrollment for North Texas is hardly out of the question.  In fact, I think that’s already been projected. 

••• Seems a 60,000 enrollment U of Central Florida was a big plus when it came to their Big 12 invite. UCF’s enrollment has been mentioned at other NCAA outposts.

SMU is not going to stop looking over their shoulders as far as seeking membership to the Big 12 so if that happens, Commish’ Aresca & company should not wait, but rather top load North Texas into his fine conference now. 

The UNT athletic budget (which would easily be increased for AAC membership) along with our top shelf venues that I think Commissioner Aresca would agree are AAC-ready & quality even now.  

AC415D92-DC90-4E70-916E-D71531FE8C08.jpeg.5a30dd9380da50de52ebfd83e3d1e056.jpeg592656E7-64BD-4B5B-BD9C-7504DD968A6F.jpeg.bca1a0dee262f873ab1442400b374ca1.jpeg5FCE1217-188D-44BF-9578-4D9229C2C3F4.jpeg.bd1ddfb2ea80f1724aa387864edde66c.jpeg

22038501-6439-43EC-9CC2-16C4AD509947.jpeg

D0BB9944-5835-43EC-AC5A-D9E252DD50D0.jpeg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 9
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 3

• PlummMeanGreen changed the title to UNT Is Newly Ranked 4’th Largest University in Texas: Dr. Smatresk & AD Baker Should Consider Meeting With AAC Commish Aresca Now.
  • PlummMeanGreen changed the title to UNT Is Now Ranked 4’th Largest University in Texas: Dr. Smatresk & AD Baker Should Consider Meeting With AAC Commish Aresca Now.
5 hours ago, NTSU52 said:

I'm pretty sure its mandatory to mention SMU at least once per thread around here

If I see they are MIP (missing in print) I will correct it!🙃😊

Another School of Thought....One LaTech BB&B dude did have this thought which amused me😊

“This stuff is all temporary. If you jump conferences every time yours has had a couple of down years, you'll pay a fortune in exit fees and end up right where you started every time.  
Southern Miss will eventually get back to where they were, as will Western Ky and some others and CUSA (or wherever we end up) will be fine.”

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

• PlummMeanGreen changed the title to UNT Now Ranked 4’th Largest University in Texas: Dr. Smatresk & AD Baker Should Consider Meeting With AAC Commish Aresca Now.
1 hour ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

UNT is now only behind UT, TAMU & UH 
as the 4’th largest university in the Lone Star State.  
••• A 50,000 student enrollment for North Texas is hardly out of the question.  
••• Seems a 60,000 enrollment U of Central Florida was a big plus when it came to their Big 12 invite. 

Jim, I really admire your enthusiasm but UCF isn’t being invited to the Big12 because of their enrollment. They are being invited because they’ve been to a New Year’s Six Bowl game 3 times in the last 10 years. The enrollment gives them an extra checkmark, sure, but they got invited because they are good at football. This is the same reason TCU was chosen over SMU and UH the last time the Big12 added teams.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Repeating this again but SMU had 10 consecutive under .500 football seasons when they were invited to CUSA.  2005 was their first season in that league, but this thread is not about SMU—it’s about UNT.

❇️

You start a thread contending that our enrollment should give us strong consideration, then proceed to post about a school that had 10 consecutive losing seasons and - even with their small enrollment - still got the invite.

I think you need to re-evaluate what you believe about the value of enrollment to these conference officials.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, greenminer said:

You start a thread contending that our enrollment should give us strong consideration, then proceed to post about a school that had 10 consecutive losing seasons and - even with their small enrollment - still got the invite.

I think you need to re-evaluate what you believe about the value of enrollment to these conference officials.

Maybe so. 😌 
(BTW, I did not put the downvote).
•••There are many non-UNT affiliated posters on this forum—very many. Some could be put in the “anti UNT” department matter a fact.

🟢 Consider that this thread may have had another objective, though.

🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

• PlummMeanGreen changed the title to UNT Now Ranked 4’th Largest University in Texas: Dr. Smatresk & AD Baker Should Meet With AAC Commish Aresca Now.
11 hours ago, RBP79 said:

Ok...SL and football ain't helping our cause. But the size of enrollment, 4th in the Great State of Texas, "COULDN'T hurt though.

This kind of enrollment helped UNT students set an all time student attendance record at Apogee Stadium not that long ago.
 New MG fans & faces at Apogee Stadium  have to come from somewhere, right?   

❇️

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

I still think our 2 chief administrators for the school & athletic department  should go visit Aresco.  
Worse he could say is no. 

🦅

You are implying that some level of talks, even if informal in nature, between the AAC and UNT have not happened yet, which I know is patently false.

• Upvote 1

Just now, laxtonto said:

You are implying that some level of talks, even if informal in nature, between the AAC and UNT have not happened yet, which I know is patently false.

I am implying nothing when it comes to North Texas.  The school’s first attempt to build an Olympic pool in the PEB fell a foot shy. A Hurley “lieutenant” told me about that.
Been around all this for almost half a century & others longer than me.  Our group is running out of time to see any kind of new conference hopping.  
(I’m just as disappointed as the next guy who wants to see good things happen for our alma mater—that’s all)🙁

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• PlummMeanGreen changed the title to UNT Now Ranked 4’th Largest University in Texas: Dr. Smatresk & AD Baker Should Still Meet With AAC Commish’ Aresca.