Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

This is how it will go down


Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, outoftown said:

I can't be the only one who would rather spend time in Vegas than in Frisco.

I think the point is if people aren’t willing to make a 20 minute drive, most aren’t going to bother going to Vegas. Sure, it’s a better destination, but we had a great destination (New Orleans) for a bowl game in 2018 and had about 500 people (literally). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If some of you would have been part of the almost 20,000 MG traveling fans that the Austin-American Statesman said were at UT-Austin’s (then called) Memorial Stadium to see the DKR-led Longhorns vs Fry’s Mean Green—some of you would probably post different than you are now (which for some is almost always negative).  

I have my negative moments, too, but if they were always negative I probably would not be here now, but would have found another hobby.  (Isn’t this all really a hobby of sorts as it is)? 
 

🦅

  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

If some of you would have been part of the almost 20,000 MG traveling fans that the Austin-American Statesman said were at UT-Austin’s (then called) Memorial Stadium to see the DKR-led Longhorns vs Fry’s Mean Green—some of you would probably post different than you are now (which for some is almost always negative).  

I have my negative moments, too, but if they were always negative I probably would not be here now, but would have found another hobby.  (Isn’t this all really a hobby of sorts as it is)? 
 

🦅

1988 pre-dated my North Texas involvement, but not by very much. In any event, at DKR in 2015 we maybe had 1,000 people. So something went wrong somewhere. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mean Green Matt said:

1988 pre-dated my North Texas involvement, but not by very much. In any event, at DKR in 2015 we maybe had 1,000 people. So something went wrong somewhere. 

“Loosing” had already begun?  Plus in that era UT had started putting MG fans in the end zone. 

• That DKR vs Fry game in 1976 we had good sideline seating for thousands of Mean Green fans. AD Royal was very nice to North Texas from the git-go.    

SUMG once called & told me Darrell Royal was going to be in Denton for a personal appearance at James Woods Auto Mall, so I dropped what I was doing & headed up there.
We were early & met DKR spending almost 30 “solid gold” minutes with him.  He treated us like we were old friends.  
We told Coach Royal how much we appreciated his total congeniality to UNT back then.  He smiled. Coach would also send a “get well” card to my dad who’d been ill.  I offered money for him to get a card but grinning, he said—“keep your money.”  (He sent Dad the card). 
 

🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

The writer of this article is affiliated with UTSA.  Has he ever written anything positive about CUSA even when it’s schools were winning bowls & the Sun Belt wasn’t?

A large TV market is no market at all unless you have a Commissioner like the AAC’s Aresta leading the way.  His apparent ESPN connection & background has not hurt the AAC, either.  A wise hire on the AAC’s part. They were thinking conference TV revenue from the start.  Apparently, CUSA had that theme on the back-burner. 

CUSA’s Judy, Judy, Judy could be sitting on a solid mountain of gold but wouldn’t know when & where to initially plant a pick. Seems she has apparently been poorly managed as a CUSA Commissioner, too.  
 

🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

"The conference went from a total payout of about $14 million to roughly $2 million, a stunning 86% decrease. Around the same time, the MAC committed to a 13 year deal with ESPN that pays out around $10 million per year."

And people wonder why schools are wanting to bail from CUSA.   IMO, this is probably the most likely reason.   Those contracts are pathetic.   Who is responsible ?   Judy ?   The universities ?   Both ?    I am guessing it's a little of both.   But, isn't it Judy's job to promote the conference and seek better contracts ?   

When a sports team struggles for an extended time, the coach is replaced whether or not they are directly responsible for the decline.   In this case, CUSA has seen a steady decline since Judy took over almost 6 years ago.     6 years is about 3 years too many.   She has to go, or we do.

  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, akriesman said:

"The conference went from a total payout of about $14 million to roughly $2 million, a stunning 86% decrease. Around the same time, the MAC committed to a 13 year deal with ESPN that pays out around $10 million per year."

And people wonder why schools are wanting to bail from CUSA.   IMO, this is probably the most likely reason.   Those contracts are pathetic.   Who is responsible ?   Judy ?   The universities ?   Both ?    I am guessing it's a little of both.   But, isn't it Judy's job to promote the conference and seek better contracts ?   

When a sports team struggles for an extended time, the coach is replaced whether or not they are directly responsible for the decline.   In this case, CUSA has seen a steady decline since Judy took over almost 6 years ago.     6 years is about 3 years too many.   She has to go, or we do.

Judy ain’t going anywhere soon. She’s the female RV of CUSA. She gets paid to be the First Female Conference Commissioner. She is completely insulated because of that fact alone. No make President of a CUSA school is gonna get her fired for the cancelling they will endure themselves. 
 

I guarantee you that she salivates over the idea of getting Georgia State into CUSA because they’re a big school in Atlanta. That should tell you everything you need to know about this conference and it’s leadership.

  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

who is USU?

CSU and AFA staying put.  Definitely a setback for the AAC.  

Might be time for a scheduling alliance.  That's been thrown out there.  Also have the MWC play the AAC champion for access to the NY6 bowl.

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, SMU2006 said:

CSU and AFA staying put.  Definitely a setback for the AAC.  

Might be time for a scheduling alliance.  That's been thrown out there.  Also have the MWC play the AAC champion for access to the NY6 bowl.

 

Yeah UNT is gonna get screwed. Just great because the football team looks like a damn high school 

Such a shame, and I mean wouldn’t you blame Seth for this disastrous collapse? I do

There is no way we get into the AAC, and now we’ll get left with the scraps of CUSA. UAB, FAU, UTSA, and someone else probably gets into the AAC, Marshall and USM join the SBC, and that leaves 8 schools left.

  • Oh Boy! 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Yeah UNT is gonna get screwed. Just great because the football team looks like a damn high school 

Such a shame, and I mean wouldn’t you blame Seth for this disastrous collapse? I do

There is no way we get into the AAC, and now we’ll get left with the scraps of CUSA. UAB, FAU, UTSA, and someone else probably gets into the AAC, Marshall and USM join the SBC, and that leaves 8 schools left.

No need to go all doomsday.  This stuff is far from over.

  • Upvote 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

CSU and AFA staying put.  Definitely a setback for the AAC.  

Might be time for a scheduling alliance.  That's been thrown out there.  Also have the MWC play the AAC champion for access to the NY6 bowl.

 

Nothing against the AAC, as I would love for UNT to be a member.   But, it makes no sense for CSU and AFA to join the AAC, especially when schools are trying to regionalize more.   Plus, they lose their long time rivalries.

With that said, I was hoping they would go to the AAC, to free up the possibility of NT, Rice, UTSA and UTEP going to the MWC together.    If SMU had gone to the Big 12, I would like our chances of getting into the AAC,  being in the Dallas market.  

Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A couple weeks ago a list came out of the schools the AAC was looking at, UNT was on that list though not very high (think I remember UNT being around 10th).  Well their top 4 schools from the MWC already said no, so its probably safe to say that UNT has probably moved up.  I think being in a top 5 media market will help UNT's chances especially when ESPN is concerned.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, MrAlien said:

A couple weeks ago a list came out of the schools the AAC was looking at, UNT was on that list though not very high (think I remember UNT being around 10th).  Well their top 4 schools from the MWC already said no, so its probably safe to say that UNT has probably moved up.  I think being in a top 5 media market will help UNT's chances especially when ESPN is concerned.  

You are correct.  It now becomes very possible that the AAC expands in Texas.  My only question is will SMU allow us entry?  Best guess is they won’t but who knows.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

You are correct.  It now becomes very possible that the AAC expands in Texas.  My only question is will SMU allow us entry?  Best guess is they won’t but who knows.

Being in a very large media market ultimately means money, this market could easily support 2 schools, they wouldn't need to play at the same time or even the same day (assuming they were not playing each other).  ESPN could easily make it work, and based on how the AAC is going to look and potential schools that could join, I would put UNT in the top 3 from a media/revenue perspective.    

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

Being in a very large media market ultimately means money, this market could easily support 2 schools, they wouldn't need to play at the same time or even the same day (assuming they were not playing each other).  ESPN could easily make it work, and based on how the AAC is going to look and potential schools that could join, I would put UNT in the top 3 from a media/revenue perspective.    

The problem is that TV Networks and Conference Leaders don't view markets that way. The networks literally look at DFW and Houston and see, well we have TCU and UH, so we don't need SMU or Rice. Then they sell advertisers and media on the idea that they have a "presence" in those markets. So the days of Rice and UH, as well as TCU and SMU, or even UTSA and Texas State being in a league together isn't gonna happen. Same for UTEP and NMSU or LT and ULM. Now, in DFW, while its great to be at the top of the heap amongst local schools, like TCU currently is, second isn't all that great--less money, lower conference affiliation, and less media coverage. That's SMU.

 

 

 

And then there's us. 

  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

The problem is that TV Networks and Conference Leaders don't view markets that way. The networks literally look at DFW and Houston and see, well we have TCU and UH, so we don't need SMU or Rice. Then they sell advertisers and media on the idea that they have a "presence" in those markets. So the days of Rice and UH, as well as TCU and SMU, or even UTSA and Texas State being in a league together isn't gonna happen. Same for UTEP and NMSU or LT and ULM. Now, in DFW, while its great to be at the top of the heap amongst local schools, like TCU currently is, second isn't all that great--less money, lower conference affiliation, and less media coverage. That's SMU.

 

 

 

And then there's us. 

Conference leaders may not look at it that way, but TV networks do because they have to sell it to advertisers, and more eyeballs on your media means more money.   The AAC is already looking at a big revenue drop because of the schools they are loosing 3 of their biggest schools. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, SMU2006 said:

CSU and AFA staying put.  Definitely a setback for the AAC.  

Might be time for a scheduling alliance.  That's been thrown out there.  Also have the MWC play the AAC champion for access to the NY6 bowl.

 

 

Ah so now everyone wants to be buddy buddy with the MWC? If I were them I'd go for the KO punch and reach out to Memphis. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

 

Ah so now everyone wants to be buddy buddy with the MWC? If I were them I'd go for the KO punch and reach out to Memphis. 

The MWC should go ahead and make the move to 16 while simultaneously taking a punch at the AAC by adding:

  • North Texas (5th largest media market)
  • UTSA (31st largest media market)
  • UAB (43rd largest media market)
  • Memphis (51st largest media market)

By doing this, you add larger media markets in regions that are all rich with football talent.

West: Fresno State, San Jose State, San Diego State, Hawaii, Nevada, UNLV, Boise, Utah State

Mountain: Wyoming, Colorado State, Air Force, New Mexico, North Texas, UTSA, UAB, Memphis

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

The MWC should go ahead and make the move to 16 while simultaneously taking a punch at the AAC by adding:

  • North Texas (5th largest media market)
  • UTSA (31st largest media market)
  • UAB (43rd largest media market)
  • Memphis (51st largest media market)

By doing this, you add larger media markets in regions that are all rich with football talent.

West: Fresno State, San Jose State, San Diego State, Hawaii, Nevada, UNLV, Boise, Utah State

Mountain: Wyoming, Colorado State, Air Force, New Mexico, North Texas, UTSA, UAB, Memphis

 

I could get behind this. 

 

I do like attaching ourselves to LaTech. But even without them, I could still get behind this. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To put it bluntly:  The last 3 unproductive years in MG football may have cost us a much better conference home.  While UAB, Coastal Carolina, Louisiana & App. State were winning & getting ranked, all we were doing in Denton was being Puff the Magic (paper mache) Dragon & a Stepping Stone.  Could our timing for all this to happen now have been worse?  
 

The amazing phenomena of AAC getting shutout with a “no” by all 4 MWC schools will affect several schools in (maybe) a good way;  sadly, 1 or 2 schools will have to keep looking to the future (again).  Some of us been saying we might have to wait for the next round barring a last minute miracle.  

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.