This will end college football as we know it

MeanGreen_MBA

51 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was told, by a Harvard graduate that I was working with (in construction no less), that all of the Ivy League schools saw this happening back in the 50's and made the decision to not play that game. And as a result, (supposedly) none of the Ivy league schools have football scholarships.

And I suppose no players get into Ivy League schools based on their ability to play football and not their academic success

19 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

It was kind of already ruined…at least by traditional standards. It was inevitable when this became a billion dollar industry or whatever it is. 

I don’t think many people read the story.  Private universities MIGHT have a big problem on their hands in the short term.  But the demise of college sports as we knew it started with CFA being dissolved.  These programs were allowed to operate as business entities with no cap on employee salary (coaches and other staff) nor floor salary (walk on players/true student athletes).  That just isn’t sustainable.  Greed is choking the life out it.  Instead of going the direction of treating athletic department as just another academic department with salaries on par with other departments with the excess going back into the college and/or taking care of all the players from 5 star to walk on.  The leadership lined their pockets with it.  None of these coaches nor Administrators  really deserve nor need more than 300k to 500k per year plus travel expenses.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1